The Taiwan Salary Increases Thread

I should explore that.

Choo-choo!

I’d like to know what Taiwan’s inward foreign direct investment numbers are thus far. In recent years they’ve only been about 10% of GDP and they were down in 2020 because of Covid.

LINE Corp., a Japanese supplier of mobile messaging and communication services, said Wednesday it intends to recruit around 100 people with digital competencies this year, as it expands its operations in Taiwan.

The openings will be specifically in the fields of data engineering, artificial intelligence, digital content and e-commerce, said LINE Taiwan Managing Director Roger Chen (陳立人) at the inauguration of the company’s new seven-story office building in Taipei’s Neihu District.

Just

let them hire as many as they need.

Novatek Microelectronics on Friday unveiled a new talent retention program that includes a higher travel subsidy for regular employees of NT$63,000 for next year, up from NT$60,000 last year. Novatek is also joining the nation’s major electronics companies in offering a childcare subsidy. It is giving staff NT$5,000 per month for each child they have under the age of six.

Up up up

Evergreen handed out 40 months bonus this year. It actually is true. Someone I know confirmed it. It’s like winning the receipt lottery.

7 Likes

Does that include Eva Air? My cousin works for Eva.

I don’t think so

EVA received 1.5 months bonus this year.

1 Like

After getting their shipping container stuck in the Suez Canal in March and causing millions (billions?) of USD in losses per day for the whole global economy, I’m not really sure how they could basically give everyone three years worth of salary in one go.

Sometimes it helps them because supply is restricted, jacking up prices.

Not saying this is necessarily the case here, but it could happen.

When Micron had an outage at their Taiwan factory, their stock went up immediately after.

1 Like

And now its the turn of Yang Ming Marine who are giving a 12month bonus for CNY and a 4% average pay increase.

2 Likes
2 Likes

:eyes: :eyes:

I see this via my friends and family.

At the moment I would say Taiwan has a two speed economy.

If you work in technology or construction sectors you are making bank. Otherwise it is a struggle.

Something not on topic but worth a discussion is the number of young educated people who are working casual jobs either by choice or through having little other options.

2 Likes

Two things:

1. places like Starbucks require a college degree for employment here. You’re gunna make 32k no matter what your education level suggests you should make elsewhere on earth.
  2. salaries tend to be based on the assumption that you’re living at home and have at least one, if not two generations, taking care of you and your offspring. Therefore, by this mindset, your income is only your entertainment and fashion money, why should you be paid more? (I don’t mean it is. I know more Taiwanese whose mommy and daddy still give them spending money who are in their 30s and 40s than not. I also know quite a few who don’t have family and have managed to make their own way just fine, making more money than I do, which isn’t saying much all things considered)
3 Likes

Did this take into account bonuses paid this year ?n
Tawnan income tax take was at record levels.
Take the bonuses into account and I’m not sure that article holds up well.

Yeah it’s two speed for sure but there are tonnes of jobs out there ,folks have to be willing to work them that’s all. Cost of living hasn’t gone up that much and they could mooch off the family.

1 Like

you’ll be surprised but many 30 and 40 year olds in the US also rely on money from their boomer parents to help repay student loans, send grandkids to extra classes or just pay the bills.

2 Likes