The Taiwan Weather Thread 2021

The high pressure really loves taiwan these few years. Wonder why.

well likely associated with climate change - there have been a few articles saying taiwan is slowly getting dryer and less and less rain. For sure this year is an outlier - but there seems to be a trend for the last 20-30 years…

I don’t get climate change.

Hotter weather should mean more storms, because the extra heat would cause more water to evaporate, and driving storms and stuff.

If anything, if the particularly cold weather we had this past winter is any indication, cooling is actually worse for Taiwan than heat.

If anything if the world is warming up we should be getting more frequent and stronger typhoons. But they all steer away from Taiwan as though there’s a ward on it.

Check Windy’s rain accumulation for the next ten days, it’s like a force field. This time of year should be pouring rain, I really miss the storms.

1 Like

It ain’t that simple. The patterns change. Look at Chile. Driest desert of the world right besides the ocean.

Yay, occasional heavy rain in Danshui, but only lasting a few minutes. Hope there’s more of it up in the mountains and in places that need it.

Yep, I was like finally some real rain, but alas, not for long.

It was actually raining on the ground today north of Shilin this morning. Xiao You Keng parking lot was dry though…

1 Like

You know it rained a lot in Taipei.

But for some reason it NEVER rains where there is a reservoir.

Why can’t they just pipe water throughout the whole island?

They do. They put the water on those tankers and down they go. It is just not enough.

Kaohsiung managed to get enough water from drilling wells and redirecting a river. That buys them time.

But we need rain. We need a massive typhoon.

I don’t mean water tankers. I mean pipes between all the reservoir in Taiwan. Maybe it costs a LOT but it’s gotta be cheaper than desalination.

Because North Taiwan rains a LOT, like a LOT. Especially Keelung which is raining anytime I am there (I hear it rains 300 day out of the year there). So they can’t find a way to capture all that rainwater and send it down south?

Because reservoir in Taipei often have to let go of water because there is too much of it, so all that water is wasted.

A massive typhoon is probably going to mean major disaster.

1 Like

Indeed. Heavy rain over too dry soil will wash everything away. At least we are getting bits.

As to the pipes…may seem extreme now but so is the weather.

Hi summer, where did spring go?

1 Like

Pretty sure if they could they would.

1 Like

Well played Mr. Liou. :grin:

There are numerous river and waterway that have fresh water. Can they not pump from those instead of pumping ground water? Even if they are not clean enough perhaps they can be used for stuff like agricultural irrigation (which is the BIGGEST user of water) or watering plants/washing roads/construction use?

Seems more problem here is inability to retain/distribute water, poor water conservation (guys wasting water like crazy) and poor billing structure to discourage waste.

1 Like

Have you noticed?

Can be in and out of home all day, use fan and leave the air con off.

Then, around dusk or evening, fan is worthless and then just need air con.

In Taipei Xinyi anyway.

1 Like

Kaohsiung hit 40 C today… :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Cold cereal for lunch. I can’t look at hot, er lukewarm, rice.

Does anyone have a link that explains all the weather we have been getting? All I can look at is from Yahoo.com.tw and seems everything comes from this Weather Risk company or something, but the information looks very third hand.

Because weather prediction in Taiwan seems to consist of looking out the window. Just last week they were saying to expect some heavy rain and now they’re saying no rain because of this very persistent high pressure system that keeps rain away like a force field. But climatology information or further info is just hard to find.

So are we getting this hot weather all summer basically? No rain, expect to run out of water basically? Because seems even typhoons aren’t forming, and if they formed it’s not coming anywhere near Taiwan.

Or are we just going to get 2 meters of rain dumped on all of Taiwan in a couple of days, leading to massive disaster and mudslides as well as floods? Something is seriously wacked and nobody seems to know anything, and all I can see that is pertinent to Taiwan is third hand information from this Weather Risk company.