The Taiwan Weather Thread 2021

19th bout of the COVID coming on.

Hualien, Kinmen and Lienchiang counties have Typhoon holidays tomorrow

1 Like

Looks like maybe Summer has finally ended. Temperatures slowly going down, and by the weekend the forecast Maximum is just 22C. I still have not used any hot water in the shower since about May, that might change pretty soon too.

Taitung: Howling wind and driving rain all night and still blowing and raining heavily the next morning.

2 Likes

Here in the capital, we’ve have some sunshine and sheets of rain.

It’s odd but actually quite pleasant!

Guy

Not when you’re riding your scooter… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

And certainly not in the Datong area of Yilan County.

Since yesterday morning, 802mm has been recorded at Cuifenghu in Datong Township, Yilan County. Other weather stations in Datong have had a ‘bit of rain’ as well.

2 Likes

I was on a bicycle! :upside_down_face:

Guy

And that was pleasant? :thinking:

I lived to tell the tale.

In 2021, I’ll take it!

Guy

1 Like

Wind’s died down, but third day of steady rain in Taitung.

2 Likes

In other news:

Temperature forecast for next week starting to go down, 23, 22, even 21 in some places in northern Taiwan.

3 Likes

I look forward to the day where AC is not needed…

Yes, the AirCon could get turned off next week (down to just night use right now) - and the Hot Water heater might even get used too.

1 Like

Hot water heater gets such an occasional use here, that it’s almost useless to consider the cost of operating it, unless you are using a gas one (bottled gas is expensive). I think this is also why heat pump water heater isn’t really in fashion in Taiwan… as when you need to use the AC you often don’t need hot water, but when you need hot water, you don’t need AC.

I’m still using AC because while it is cooler, it’s still hot and humid enough that without the dehumidification provided by the AC, it’s still uncomfortable as hell.

A heads up for those in Taipei and environs: while it looks lovely and sunny right now, the forecast I’m seeing (on wunderground) is calling for smashing rain and plummeting temperatures starting today (10/16) around 5:00 pm, with a high tomorrow forecast to be 22 degrees. So watch out!

Guy

5 Likes

Yup. After a long week, getting up for a bike ride today was tough, but I managed to do it - because of that forecast. Today’s gorgeous. Tomorrow won’t be.

2 Likes

Yep, lots of warning in the local news.

2 Likes

Yeah I was wondering if there was a typhoon that I missed the news about…the wind just got crazy!

1 Like

Wow I was just wondering if this would turn out to be a nothing burger. Nothing much happening in my corner of Taipei . . .

Guy