The Taiwan Weather Thread 2022

Every year when it gets this cold it’s 20 to 50 dead each night.

No one says a thing. Because poor people.

Total deaths so far from Omicron: zero.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it be nice if the construction of buildings was actually half decent here so this death-by-cold-night thing was not a thing? After all, these folks are not (generally speaking) simply out on the street.

F&ck the construction companies here. They are among the worst aspects of life in Taiwan.

Guy

1 Like

We are out of old folk in my hood, like the really old, 80 and 90 tier. Of those, 3 taken by accidents.

So next tier is upper 60, lower 70. About 6 old folk on my street I am watching like a hawk.

Even yours truly, my blood pressure has been on a rather high streak.

Take care everyone.

4 Likes

Maybe see some sun shine on the weekend.

Get out at all costs and get some vitamin D and good light in the eyes

2 Likes

Dear God please yes some sunshine please.

Guy

2 Likes

I just needed to share with Forumosa that my yoga studio ran the heat today. That’s right folks, in Taiwan, all the AC units were set to blow out hot air instead of cold air. (And we requested they be turned off about five minutes into class because the room was the perfect temperature for a nap, not exercise.)

1 Like

admittingly yoga clothes can be a bit thin and skimpy.

It is 17 degrees in my bedroom. No wonder the cats won’t sleep with me

1 Like

This time of year I’m wearing JL’s highest warmth-rated tights anytime I exercise. They’re designed for biking /rowing outdoors when temperatures are much, much lower than Taiwan ever will ever reach.

North vs South

2 Likes

Felt like the last couple Taipei days were more dark and depressing than any yet so far this winter.

And that says a lot!

Guy

Tomorrow! Tomorrow! Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow… there’ll be …

Aw crap.

1 Like

I can’t wait until 2 PM on Saturday!

2 Likes

It’s the nonstop drizzle that gets me. If I can get out for a walk I’m ok with the gray skies. But I want it to be dry for a stroll.

1 Like

It’s been pretty dry in Shilin/Beitou honestly.

1 Like

Ditto in Danshui most of the day. Yesterday the forecast was similarly dreary. But despite the forecast of constant rain, today it’s been mostly dry since around noon. I hope it’ll continue the same.

1 Like

Not on the tip of the spear.

It’s been drizzling or pounding rain non-stop for the past two days. Except right now at 00:23, it’s kind of stopped. A little misty.

1 Like

Misty feels great after the “pounding rain” part doesn’t it.

Guy

1 Like

I’d argue this is less of a problem in Taiwan because we have CNY and a break. Compare this to the US where it’s just dark and cold and snowy in many places and the next chance to switch up the daily grind (have a break, go outside without covering everything on your body with ten layers) feels millions of years away. But I’d never heard the phrase “blue Monday” until coming to Taiwan (where they describe every Monday as blue)

1 Like