The Taiwan Weather Thread 2022

Once saw must be an English gent wearing a Burberry trench coat in the summer thunderstorm in T town
40s I imagine
Bald I didn’t imagine

How did I know he was bald ?
Because In this torrential rain his body was being protected by his Burberry trench coat

But no hat to protect his head from the rain

All the locals must nod silently

See? Out in the rain without an umbrella and you go BALD

Mad dogs and Englishmen and all that
Case closed

1 Like

Miss my yehliu town

1 Like

Three girls on one board that’s a sight to see

The air in the city is certainly better than it used to be and there are new green areas being opened every year (i.e. the old railway converted into a green corridor, my favourite). But yes like @KHHville wrote the suburbs north (Nanzih, Renwu) and south (Siaogang) are still an industrial nightmare and pollution gets quite bad in winter when the wind brings in additional shit from our friendly neighbour across the Strait.

I agree with @KHHville that the weather in Kaohsiung wins over Taipei big time. It doesn’t rain much and it’s usually sun and (relatively) blue skies after that. Winters are mild, although they can get uncomfortable without a heater too at times, and summers windy without the heat waves seen in Taipei. I guess it has to do with KH facing the sea and Taipei being trapped between mountains. Without counting the building density and the number of air conditioners spitting out hot air.

9 Likes

Eek.

1 Like

I plan to visit Kaohsiung, possibly later this year, but for my first year, I think it’s safe to say I’ll probably stay somewhere in Danshui, New Tailand City.

1 Like

2 major problems are that the concrete soaks up the heat so that even at night the city doesn’t really cool down. Add to that the airconditioners large and small pumping out hot air 24/7. Heatwise Taipei proper is probably one of the worst places to be. Get much breeze in there?

1 Like

This last winter was perfect. Blue skies and low 20s every day. Might have rained once, a few days were cold enough to wear a jacket

:face_with_monocle:

Incoming rain.

Rain I missed my Friday night window to go out for looks like an hour or so

Hmmm

You guys love the rain, that’s why you live up there, right?

Speaking about heat, Taiwan is not alone. Interior NorCal bakes in blazing heat with temps up to 113

113 F is about 45 C. Not a typo
100 F is about 37.8 C.

Rare thunderstorms in Danshui. Big lightning.

I think I am gonna tip my uber eats lady a bit more.

4 Likes

So you’re back in Taiwan now? Maybe that’s why Beijing is so piqued (the Pelosi thing is just a front)!

Guy

3 Likes

Pretty peaceful in Tanshui at the moment. Almost not even a ripple in the water.

Taipei looks a bit dark, but still not pounding rain at the moment.

Kenting looks decent

Baishawan isn’t good enough to even consider the SUP. Drizzle on and off, but beach is basically empty. Bath water warm.

4 Likes

Tropical Storm Mulan expected to form, bring rain to Taiwan: CWB https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202208070014

Oh yes please some rain.

And while we’re at it, is a p&$@# typhoon asking too much?!?!

1 Like

It’s 2022. Be careful what you ask for!!!

Guy

4 Likes

I need some good waves. Let’s have a typhoon brush past our island and bring us a nice swell and some rain.

2 Likes