The Taiwan Weather Thread 2022

It’s a cemetery in the mountains above the ocean. Great view.

北海福座
252, Taiwan, New Taipei City, Sanzhi District, 號
+886 2 2637 2105
https://goo.gl/maps/ERjhctD2fTjzSmPv8

2 Likes

Thank you.

it’s more of a columbarium isn’t it?

The main tower, correct. But, this mountain has all kinds of areas. Columbarium and then separate family tombs and even a pet cemetery as well. A very neat place to explore, but NOT two weeks prior to and/or during tomb sweeping. It’s a circus!

1 Like

I like the pet cemetery. Very cute.

Are places along the coast like Tamsui hotter than Taipei City proper?

Fuck NO! Much cooler. Taipei is a nightmare in summer.

Have a look.

1 Like

Take a wok, boil some water in it, cover it, let cool to 40C and that’s Taipei City inside.
Kaohsiung is so much nicer in the summer.

1 Like

Says that cities are hotter than the coastal areas. You can see the darkest reds are in the cities.

1 Like

I’ve heard the pollution in Kaohsiung is much worse that Taipei’s. Also how’s winter?

You’ve never been to Kaohsiung? Even in the summer? C’mon down. The cool harbor breeze awaits to gently roll over your body.

Nope, but I am planning to someday. I am actually not in Taiwan yet. Where I am in South East Asia, the weather is pretty nice during the day, say around 23C but then again I live near a mountain. At night it can be very cold.

I drove through Kaohsiung on the freeway back in 1999, but the industrial look of all the metal pipes and smoke stacks belching blackness into the sky made me think of Gotham City. It really turned me off. I haven’t been back since. Also, I feel that the water on that side of the island is over-polluted with industrial contamination from west coast factories and also pollution from China. I prefer north, north east and east.

yeah, Kaohsiung south of the airport for about 5km or more is an industrial cess-pool, where China Steel and similar companies are. The city from 85 Tower and north has improved significantly.
I remember around that same time taking the train to Kaohsiung station and then getting on a bus to Kenting. Halfway to Kenting, you’d finally feel you’ve gotten out of industrial land.

1 Like

Hey folks! There is a new 4K live webcam of Tamsui Fisherman’s Wharf which just launched today, 2022-07-19. Check it out and watch the sun set!

There’s also another one of Tamsui area just near where the water taxi goes to Bali across the river.

7 Likes

Looks like I’ll settle down around Tamsui come September after all!!!

1 Like

Consider it carefully.

Yes, the north coast is way better than Taipei city in the summer as it pertains to heat and fresh air.

But the winters can be pretty brutal comparatively speaking. Try 15° and sideways never ending wind, rain, drizzle and clouds.

If you have ever lived in the Pacific Northwest USA such as Seattle or Tacoma or Olympia, then that would be the winters that we have here.

2 Likes

Thailand, here I come!!!

2 Likes

Thought it was getting dark for the evening, and then realized it’s only 3pm.

Another beautifully depressing dark rainy day in Taipei.

A bit cloudy out here on the north coast, but still beautiful.

6 Likes