The Taiwan Weather Thread 2022

Oh, I get that. I’d prefer not to believe me either. My clothes are in a very dull race between drying versus going moldy.

For what it’s worth, I just checked the Forecast Bar app, and that one implies that tonight will be the heaviest stretch, and tomorrow not as bad.

EDIT: is there somewhere on the Central Weather Bureau site to see forecasts for total precipitation?

EDIT 2: from Twitter, video from the other end from me of the Taipei Metropolitan area … (plenty more other clips there):

https://twitter.com/foreignersinTW/status/1581552373771616257?s=20&t=RC-me7C7xRNmf6p-k_U1_g

2 Likes

It’s the end of the world as we know it…and I feel fine!

From the second floor of my home.

From the third floor of my home. Dig the ocean view!

Me. Dressed up before taking my dogs for their evening walk.
Head lamp screwed up my self-portrait. Guess I should clean that mirror, too.

It’s raining much harder right now. 18:43 on 10/16.

3 Likes

Crazy, just had backed up rainwater stuck in a kink burst through my stove’s extractor pipe, flow back through the grease traps and down upon my dinner, sitting on the stove. It was a bucketful. I deserve a day off just for cleaning that up.

Did tomorrow’s deluge come early? Presume that’s why they haven’t called it.

3 Likes

Yeah, I hope folks will consider not ordering food delivery in rainy conditions.

1 Like

Thunder in Taipei about that time too. First time I can recall hearing it in Taipei in ages.

1 Like

Taiwan (just the north? Is this still supposed to hit the south as well?) may be in for a rough couple of days.

2 Likes

Water had been coming up into my bathroom floor. I live on the fourth floor. WTF?

Good luck!

2 Likes

Hey, where did you get that from? This is what I found, and there’s a big gap in the numbers… maybe I’m missing something? I mean… Taipei only 62mm this month? (they haven’t added today yet but sure it should be higher?)

1 Like

Right now there is another respite. There are like half an hour or more pauses in the rain. Very typhoony.

TV news talking about increased winds tomorrow.

Earlier today the rain amounts were impressive. Will check again later before bed and hope tomorrow will be off. Rain and wind combined are bad for scooters and drivers in general.

1 Like

Bitan was up to the restaurant line in the afternoon. And it won’t stop raining.

1 Like

They have released water from the Feitsui Reservoir—hence the high water lines in Bitan and environs.

Guy

3 Likes

Well this is in Shilin.

The sports area also has water up to the basketball net…

1 Like

Some historical perspective—and why improving drainage has been a key part of making Taipei a better city. Three meters of rain, btw, is getting into Typhoon Morakot territory—utterly insane amounts of rain!

Guy

3 Likes

Central weather bureau. It’s a VERY good page. Like 100 times better than the Spanish equivalent.

This month, Tamsui is 147,5 not including today (will almost double it).

You can also check the anual average. We are a few mm shy from the average already. Quite a humid year in Tamsui. No typhoon too, right?

2 Likes

Rain amounts overall worrying.

Hundreds evacuated from Yilan, about 60 evacuated in Xizhi. Even in Taipei Xinyi, mountain side.

News keep saying wind and rain will be stronger tomorrow.

Problem with not being a declared direct hit by typhoon is for example the responsibility for economic loses. However, the economic damage is already rising.

Edit
Getting closer, tunnel closed in Neihu due to landslide danger and flooding.

1 Like

yeah, I found it… but only after using the search box… it’s not linked from the top menu, which is stupid!

I wonder how bad it’s going to be tomorrow… it seems like the forecast now is milder.

Is it?

The typhoon has apparently cleared the southernmost tip of Taiwan.

As the typhoon moves away from the island, it will however suck in more cold wet air from the northeast, so expect more rain along with a pretty sharp drop in temperatures tomorrow (i.e. Monday) in the north of the island.

Guy

1 Like

Yeah, but is it still as bad as the forecast said a couple of days ago? need to check windy again.

Super duper mayor Ko is down in Taichung campaigning and said his underlings follow SOP. Hence, I deduce our hopes for a day off are, well, off.

Prime minister Su was at the Central Emergency Operations Center, checking on the situation. But that was earlier.

2 Likes