The Taiwan Weather Thread 2022

Looks like he carried on working

1 Like

Today itā€™s probably not dry.

Drove across bridge in Taipei and looked at riverside parks ā€” flooded and littered with debris, trees uprooted, etc - lots of repair is gonna be needed

Judging by where the debris line is, the water level must have been insanely high

(The Keelung River bend between song Songshan and Southwest Neihu)

4 Likes

The tweet did say no casualties, so heā€™s at least still in the land of the living.

2 Likes

14:00 North Coast Taiwan

The rain stopped at 13:00 and itā€™s still dry.

Still very windy and humid, but my inner courtyard tiles are nice and dry.

Letā€™s hope the rain is done up here.

3 Likes

And they kept on excavatingā€¦? :dizzy_face:

It so humid that my home computer refuses to operateā€¦ :rage:

1 Like

I like the optimism.

1 Like

It may be time (in northern Taiwan, it is actually always time) for a dehumidifier in the room.

Guy

3 Likes

Not when youā€™re in the room. Or is that a myth? Iā€™ve always thought I should evacuate the room while the machine is operating. :thinking:

I run my machine 24 / 7, when I am in the room, when I roam the town, when I eat mushrooms, when I lounge around.

With apologies to Dr Seuss!

Guy

3 Likes

Itā€™s a myth.

I donā€™t run my dehumidifiers (I have two now) 24/7.

Theyā€™re efficiency when the room is already under 50 or 40% decrease greatly. I donā€™t have data but it looks like they donā€™t reduce humidity much lower than that. Besides, thereā€™s really no need to go under 45% or so.

I donā€™t like to run such appliances when Iā€™m not at home. Electrical failure in modern appliances is rare, but shit happens.

Know your enemy. Buy a hygrometer (even better, buy one per room) and monitor humidity, running the dehumidifier/s accordingly.

5 Likes

Starting to rain lightly again in the North Coast. Nice respite for three hours.

Just arrived In Tanshui and is pounding!

1 Like

And as far as Iā€™m aware it hasnā€™t stopped in a long while.

1 Like

Agreed. I donā€™t leave anything running when I leave the house and even unplug many things.

Hasnā€™t rained in a while in Taipei. Streets are even starting to dry.

1 Like

It would be nice to have an automatic dehumidifier that only kicks on when humidity exceeds a certain level. I have two and their automatic setting keeps spinning the fan and making noise always. Are any of the newer models actually quiet when not dehumidifying on automatic?

1 Like

The rain has definitely slowed in Xizhi but itā€™s nowhere near stopped. It looks like dry weather all day Thursday and half the day on Friday.

1 Like

The nice Japanese machines can do this.

They are also typically more space efficient (i.e. they have a smaller footprint) than their EuroAmerican rivals.

Guy

5 Likes

What brands are the Japanese ones?

Typhoon Nesat and the weather gods giveth and taketh away.

Some amazing pictures here:

3 Likes