The Taiwan Weather Thread 2022

There’s lots of discussion of this topic here:

The basic Japanese options in Taiwan would be Panasonic, Mitsubishi (expensive!), Sharp, and perhaps some other companies I’ve lost track of.

Guy

3 Likes

Ozone generators you’d better leave the room or you might actually die. Yet somehow people run them in their cars, while they are in their cars. Dehumidifiers? Depends on how much noise your unit makes.

1 Like

General question: is the rain worse than usual for a near-miss by a typhoon? I feel like I’m hearing from a lot more people about flooded apartments and such (well, I never hear about flooded apartments in the past, but I’ve heard about quite a few these past two days). Yesterday’s rain was wild, but it didn’t seem that much different than usual? Today had water falling from the sky, but again, not seeming to be that much worse than usual?

1 Like

I like the noise. Just get a unit that’s way overrated for your space and run it on low. Won’t be very loud then.

Er… probably exist since the Middle Ages. Mine does it; you set up the humidity level you want and it turns on when it’s a bit above that (5%?).

1 Like

I wonder how much silt is in them…

Rains in June 2-3, 2017 were crazy too. They were more intense for a shorter space of time. But maybe the total amount of rain these 3 days surpasses the amount of rain of those 2 days.

Remember Siaolin Village that was buried by a mudflow? Typhoon Morakot never went over the area (southern Taiwan), but the torrential rain brought from its outer periphery was overwhelming. The few lucky folks who survived woke up the next day and saw just a mudflat where the village used to be.

2 Likes

Morakot was no “near miss”—that was a direct hit that lingered around and dumped an unprecedented amount of rain into the mountains of southern Taiwan. Some 800 people died, and some places like Siaolin Village were wiped off the map as the mountain above it collapsed due to the rain.

Guy

2 Likes

23:30

Power outage. It’s black as far as I can see on my roof top.

That’s pretty serious because I live in an area that’s never supposed to lose electricity due to national security concerns.

01:30. Power back on.

3 Likes

Low temp of 18.8°. Currently 19° and drizzling.

2 Likes

Power on? Check.

Not being carried away by surging river waters? Check.

It’s 2022. I’ll take it! :grin:

Guy

3 Likes

Taiwan at its best:

1 Like

Sunday was terrible, I was sitting on the couch pondering how terrible it was when I realised the couch felt wet. No, my place was not flooded, it was just my mind playing tricks on me. Everything felt damp. Loving this dry-ish air today.

That sounds like some emergency maintenance.

First cloudless night in a while!

EDIT: or it was so a few minutes ago; I’m looking at windy and I do see clouds. Maybe it’s different IRL.

SUNSHINE!!! BEANS [argh, beams] OF SUNLIGHT FOR THE CATS TO BASK [edit: their toe beans! Yeah, beans!] IN!!!

Only a very occasional sunbeam, but still, the cats and I will take what we can get.

4 Likes

Beans? :beans:

1 Like

JUST when I was telling a student to do a better job proofreading …

1 Like

Nothing worth surfing,but it’s wonderful weather just to sit outside and drink coffee.

6 Likes