The Taiwan Weather Thread 2022

:rofl:

Guy

1 Like

I was truly shocked when I went outside to water my plants this morning. I usually think I’m overreacting when I have the space heater running and I’m wearing a giant sweater with made-for-snowstorm-weather pants, but I was properly shocked by the actual outdoor temperature feeling this time. I was not overdressed for the first time this year. I miss snowstorms, tbh. At least then you have a constantly changing view outside the window and the dry cold means a sweater, jeans, and something covering your hands and neck is more than sufficient for a few minutes outside.

1 Like

You know it is cold when you open the door
to get your delivered lunch and it hits you with a blast colder than the fridge.

Doing laundry today would be moot.

3 Likes

OMG! Just returned from my first venture outside of the day. It is RAW out there!

And the rest of the week looks like mostly more of the same.

Still, compared to how the summer heat has been the last couple of years we may be looking back fondly on this in a few short weeks.

3 Likes

Ah no. No one will look back fondly on this.

Although I did get to see Licorice Pizza and a bunch of other cool movies. So, silver lining.

4 Likes

Confirmed. News reports say this is just the beginning…

寒流威力攀頂時間曝光 專家示警:現在剛開始

3 Likes

Feck. This sucks.

Guy

5 Likes

How was it? Read about it and heard good things. Quirky?

Really good, very quirky.

1 Like

My partner is telling me that there have been 74 deaths attributed to this cold surge.

2 Likes

A lot of people keep their windows opened 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. No matter the weather.

1 Like

In most houses here, even when the windows are closed they might as well be open.

This winter is starting to get to me, seems way longer than a typical winter. Just from my subjective impression, there have been fewer really cold days, i.e. under 12 degrees, but the period of days under 15-16 or so with no break seems to be going on forever. As we all know, the problem here is not so much the cold outdoors but the cold indoors. I’ve been wearing 4 layers in my house every day since some time in early January, at least – and still getting under a blanket whenever I sit down. There’ve been a few days where it was sunny out and got into the 20s … great, but even then you come home and the house is still 14. Make it stop, please.

3 Likes

Get a space heater.

I have two Chiayi space heaters. (Not the same Chiayi - 嘉儀 instead of 嘉義)

They’re inexpensive and high quality. I’ve had mine for years. The only maintenance work I’ve done to mine was replace the power switch as they use standard components.

I can get the room I’m in up to about 23°C

I’ll take one of these days over a hot mid-summer day all year long! No appliances needed

3 Likes

I bought a DeLonghi oil heater in Costco two winters ago. Before we had an A/C with heater function, and before that I was just miserable in days like these.

We may be colonized by mold, but I would take the risk.

1 Like

Yeah not a fan of space heaters, had a few over the years. The rooms where my family spends most of our time are open and high-ceilinged, have to huddle next to a space heater to get any effect and just feels like a waste of energy, like running the a/c with the door open. The only rooms it could heat would be the bedrooms, but if I’m in the bedroom I’m under blankets and again, not much point to it. Besides, winter here is usually brief and there is my ingrained feeling that suffering breeds character; one more layer of clothes may do the job…

1 Like

I don’t mind the temperature, but the endless grey and rainy days over the last month have been a total drag.

6 Likes

One for one, both types of days are dreadful – it’s the 45 in a row, of either. And a/c is much more effective than a heater. I’m not normally one to whine publicly, but … that’s how much it’s getting to me. Figure it must be getting to others as well, which is my general point: is it just me or is this an unusually long, seemingly endless, winter…

3 Likes

It’s definitely not just you! Is this your first?

I’m in the process of ordering this WCIF: SAD lamps - #19 by vibekiller

(I’m not actually sure if that’s a link to the Amazon link from the other thread or not. Anyway, SAD lamp is needed this year. My energy level is reaching negative)

2 Likes