The Taiwan Weather Thread 2024

Low clouds currently obscuring the mountain view in Danshui. I hope it clears enough to see whatever snow is apparently up there.

Last weekend we were cleaning our house for CNY. I found a heating blanket that comes to good use these days.

1 Like

Snowing now

6 Likes

So, guess I’m not cycling up there today! Feels weird that I biked there in gorgeous weather six days ago.

2 Likes

You can’t step into the same river twice?

1 Like

It’s snowing in some interesting places. Taichung for instance:

Hsinchu

1 Like

Taichung big snow mountain…the clue’s in the name

1 Like

I looked this up out of curiosity. Turns out that it has nothing to do with snow. “Big Snow Mountain” was the name given by the Japanese, because the mountain’s open grass fields reminded them of Hokkaido’s Daisetsuzan.

2 Likes

Well it’s at 3500 meters so you can still expect snow up there.

Check out the live feed now. It looks foggy now more than anything, with an ever so slight amount of snow on the ground. Kind of sad, really!

1 Like

Beware the English translation on the government website is incomplete/wrong for Taichung. Only some schools are affected as the Chinese version of the website reads.

臺中市
和平區所轄幼兒園:今天下午01:00起停止上班、停止上課。
和平區所轄國中、國小、幼兒園:明天停止上班、停止上課。

https://www.dgpa.gov.tw/typh/daily/nds.html

I went up yangmingshan. Aside from it being freaking cold, it wasn’t snowing, just wet.

1 Like

Most of Taipei region is under 10 degrees at this hour, while its pleasant 12 in Dublin. Add in Taipei for the most part no heat indoors (Ireland mostly well heated).

Keep warm, time to dress up!

1 Like

Dublin also has the Irish, added bonus. I’d definitely take it over Taipei rn.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, we will see many casualties from this cold wave. One scooter driver dropped dead from the cold right on the street in Taoyuan. Three hospitalized in Kaohsiung. Tainan. Plus more ice slippery

Folks are just not used to this level of sudden cold.

:roll_eyes:
So they determined the cause of death right on the spot…no autopsy, nothin?

pure speculation

Could have been any multitude of conditions.

1 Like

There is no ice except maybe…and its a big maybe, way up in the mountains.

For the big city areas, the ground is too warm for ice to form and the air temp is not even freezing.

Elderly people with heart disease do drop dead in cold snaps. Might have been poisoned by Russians too but in general it’s the old ticker that’ll do for you.

Just according to witnesses he was trembling like jello. Youngish guy.

And Irish whiskey.

1 Like