The TSMC Thread

Was waiting for this. Intel to imitate TSMC foundry business model. Bought Intel stock when it was hit hard late last year.

2 Likes

They’ll still be designing chips though.

Powerchip will open a new fab and employ 3,000 people.

ha ha ha ha. Back in mid-1990s, TSMC was about 18 months behind Intel in technology. Now Intel is 18 months behind. ha ha ha. Good luck Intel.

2 Likes

ARK dumped all their TSM shares after the announcement. I bought more during the dip. Intel has the treasury to catch up, but it will take time and TSM is still growing.

1 Like

Intel won’t catch up , TSMC is already sprinting and about two years ahead and hS massive industry here here . Plus it’s pure play foundry so doesn’t offer competition like Intel.
Just cos a CEO says something doesn’t mean jack shit.

1 Like

TSM has the Treasury to keep going forward too.

Per the Taiwanese media, both the US and Arizona governments are subsidizing their kids’ educations up to junior high, and getting guaranteed vaccines to get their engineers to move.

1 Like

You think progress after 2nm will continue as fast? Plus Intel has amazing margins doing their own fab work. Even behind they make lots of cash thanks to that and their marketing. I wouldn’t count them out 5-6 years down the line.

1 Like

Yes, the US would love to partly claim TSM along with Intel to keep the lead over China. But I think that’s in TSM’s best interest too. Best of both worlds.

1 Like

Betting against Intel is a bet against American government.

Intel R & D is mutliple of TSMC.

I own more shares of Intel (better value for my money) For bigger part TSMC & Intel is win win story

Recent movement of shares show funds have no idea

No. Don’t forget Intel is juggling multiple markets while TSMC is doing one thing. Intel’s fabrication R&D is a fraction of TSMC’s.

1 Like

Not a big issue actually.

Intel can fail. If you think it’s too big to fail, ask all the others before it.

It’s a shame the government isn’t funding research like it used to.

Well for youngsters in US colleges today, their topics of interest are how to make weed legal, how to skip classes and enjoy life and protest against police. And for parents in red states, R&D is the work of the “devil”! Let’s bring the sadistic gOD into labs.

China on the other hand is investing in science and tech. Yes they’re still not number 1 today. But they were like number 100 just 30 years ago and they can easily be counted in the top 5 today. That’s a big change and it’s continuing.

Not arguing there. The investments China is making in research, technology and energy are commendable.

Since both TSMC and Samsung receive huge US government subsidies, a bet against either is a bet against the USA government?

Yea. American government cleary stated they are not comfortable with IT progress in China.

Decoupling is already happening. In such circumstances position of TSMC, Samsung, others are protected.

Big tech are important. Intel won’t fall

Replace with “finance companies” and ask bear strearns, LB

LB was parted out Bear Stearns was sold to JPM, which received plenty of cpp funds, along with a crapload of other US institutions. It’s a poor analog for intel.