The TSMC Thread

Show me American patents granted (not filed) and I’ll be more impressed.

You can thank Trump for that by taking Huawei down.

Not to knitpick but Huawei was Mediatek’s customer. Trump took out HiSilicon, Huawei’s chip design unit. And other Chinese phones replaced Huawei as Mediatek’s client.

Then Qualcomm got fined by the EU and Korea (but got away in Taiwan).

Then they got a new CEO, Rick Tsai.

This is what I was talking about. HiSilicon was putting out really good chips, then the industry had no choice but to buy Mediatek crap.

1 Like

The new gen Mediatek chips are actually quite decent. Also Huawei only made chips for itself others still used Qualcomm or Mediatek.

We are talking about TV chips here, HiSilicon sold to many brands, including commercial-grade displays.

Meditatek chips are decent, not great. HiSilicon ones were great.

1 Like

3 Likes

Noice

I believee the reason they file so many patents is to stop patent trolls blackmailing them later.

3 Likes

That’s exactly it when it comes to fabrication. Then if say Samsung makes some bs claim they can troll them back and force a cross licensing deal.

It gets more serious in packaging and some interconnect stuff though.

1 Like

@marcopoloTW Do you have any thoughts on on this topic?

https://www.bloombergquint.com/technology/the-world-is-dangerously-dependent-on-taiwan-for-semiconductors

Nice graphic here:

Intel should be highlighted with dual colors as it has one of the best and biggest fabs for processors.

2 Likes

Green already means they do both.

Ya I know. But the color difference is subtle between green and that lighter green. It’s easier to differentiate if multiple colors are used rather than a different shade.

I don’t know why there’s a different color scheme between Samsung and Intel. Both do chip design as well as fab.

Broadcom is fabless. I don’t know why it shares the same color as Intel partially.

Does Intel fab for other companies?

Samsung does IDM for memory chips, and fabs for logic chips.

But I don’t think they design processors other than the ones on their own phones.

Samsung SoC is used by third party like old HTC, google, etc.

Intel having the same green as Broadcom doesn’t make sense to me.

Are you sure? My HTC has Qualcomm Snapdragon.

They used to have Samsung SoCs too.

1 Like

OK cool.

The chart is missing Mediatek. They were $8B in 2019.

Bloomberg with an interesting write-up on UMC.

They purposely don’t expand capacity so their depreciation is lo2, and hence profits are high.