The TSMC Thread

Japanese media is reporting that Apple and Intel will be TSMC’s largest customers for its 3nm process in 2022.

Intel will stick to producing its highest margin server chips while outsourcing notebook chips to TSMC.

Well, if they’re gonna enter the foundry business, it’ll be far off in the future.

Pardon if been covered already, but from what I understand Apple is first in line at TSMC for all their needs.

Yrs, that’s true, although AMD I expected to be their largest customer soon, because of WFH.

Tsmc is pulling away from Samsung.

Apples to oranges, Samsung is going with a 3d transistor. I do think TSMC is safe but the gap isn’t going as big as those numbers suggest.

1 Like
1 Like

Open a factory in japan “mainly for sony” to supply 40,000 image sensor chips/month?
That would be what, 1-2000 12" wafers per month…
So very sub-economical factory size or its not really “mainly for sony”.

Maybe this is talking about a packaging factory. Reporting on semis is so error-ridden.

1 Like

ASML, maybe more important than TSMC, and they don’t even make semiconductors.

Spoiler: They make the machines that make the semiconductors.

2 Likes

yes and Zeiss, Nikon and Canon for optics and Tokyo Electric.

Here is and interesting report from George Town U.

Is TSMC using EUVL or EPL for their latest chips?

I know that Duke U has a scale EPL process running since 2019. EPL will be genuine 2nm and maskless.

EUV for the most advanced the nodes. The rest will mostly be 193i with multi patterning when needed. Samsung the same.

TSMC and others have looked at EBL in an r&d capacity over the years, but it’s still mainly for acedemia when good resolution is needed better than basic hard masks. Pretty much any decent research focussed uni will have EBL systems of some sort.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the report. Here’s another one from the White House:

I wouldn’t call ASML more important. They are equally strategic, neither is replaceable.

1 Like
2 Likes

The real gamma in TSMC is in Xintec and eMemory.

Here we go. An American TSMC engineer in Taiwan for training is complaining about 10-12 hour work days.

For this reason Taiwan only has one competitor in the race.

1 Like

Lol what a noob

2 Likes

Let em have TSM, would rather work for Apple with slightly less hours and double to triple pay

Because only long hours and low wages makes one competitive?

1 Like

How much is salary for

• fresh engineering graduates at TSM
  • 2 years experiences
  • 5+ years (seniors)

I don’t have PhD for accounting to figure out how much bonuses, stocks, and else they get next to monthly wage.