The TSMC Thread

Ask Gain and set off a shitstorm …Again.

2 Likes

Korea is feeling the heat in its memory chip business. Nanya and Micron Taiwan have sucker-punched them in the back while they weren’t looking.

“Even in the memory market, where Korea has always been the leader, the competition is getting fiercer,” said Kim Ki-nam, vice chairman of Samsung. “Rather than striving to keep the post, Samsung will make preemptive investments to widen the gap that can never be narrowed.”

https://www.google.com/amp/m.koreaherald.com/amp/view.php%3Fud=20210513000820

TSMC needs to be careful.

Taiwan rose to semiconductor eminence mostly via licensing technology from American and Japanese companies in the beginning.

Now Sony is trying to the same by linking up with TSMC.

They need to read Clayton Christensen’s Innovator’s Dilemma on disruption.

Hey that was MY IDEA!

For the foreseeable future Taiwan will still dominate the fab landscape. Healthy competitions from Intel and Samsung should be welcome. Semiconductor as a whole is literally the new oil. I do worry about Human Resources because I’m not sure the next generation of Taiwanese men will necessarily be interested in carrying the torch.

Flagship, state-of-the-art process node is important but so are mature processes. Luckily TSMC and Taiwan as a whole have a health portfolio of fabs, even III-V. As automobiles are moving away from gasoline to electric, Taiwan’s longterm investment is really paying off now.

1 Like

Expand on this.

This generation is already weaker than the previous generation: fewer people going to the US for grad study, fewer PhDs in general.

Fewer entrepreneurs too (but that’s because TSMC and Mediatek raided all the STEM people).

Woah. That’s really high. They’re swimming in cash. There has to be some serious trickling down this year.

1 Like

Anybody in Hsinchu know when the N2 fab will break ground? Supposedly it’s this year to be ready 2025.

Taiwan #1

1 Like

Tencent must not be listed in the US. Because TSMC was tops in NYSE since about 2 years ago.

Working at Mediatek.

Impressive

2 Likes

Didn’t know anything about mediatek
Just got a chrome book by Lenovo for 149 on sale at Best Buy
List 299

Has quad core mediatek processor

Pretty nice for 149

1 Like

Dude…you want the Liberation Army listening in on you? :laughing:

Mediatek is Taiwanese no?

Yes but Lenovo is Chinese.