The TSMC Thread

Again, you have to start your own business. You can’t become CEO at an existing large company. That’s why Morris Chang had to quit at TI.

If he’d stayed, I don’t doubt he would’ve headed a tech company eventually. And think of all the Asian tech CEOs these days. No matter how you look at it, “you’ll never make it to the top” was 100% wrong, and a cheap ploy to get engineers to come to Taiwan.

Ok who made it to the top back then?

No one has a crystal ball and see that times would change.

If you can’t grasp the meaning of “never,” I don’t know what to say.

At worst he was lying, at best flat out wrong.

He said “you” [the engineers alive at the moment] will never, not Asians will never.

Good NPR segment on the story.

You’re saying they all died before the 1990s and 2000s? :thinking:

If those engineers had stuck around and developed their careers in the U.S. they all would have done quite well for themselves.

YS Sun = Sun Yat-Sen ?

Stock up big today. They made a bundle last year.

Sun Yunsuan

I’ve never seen any suggestion that he was ever even in Taiwan for so much as a visit until he was recruited there in his 50s.

Morris was pushing 70 in 2000. Not many people get made CEO at that point.

Taiwanese had to watch out not to be shot dead by ROC nationalist military on streets of Taipei i70s and 80s.
They had a lot more rights in democratic USA. Millions of Taiwanese dreamt to emigrate, but only selected few were able to do so

Emigrating won’t help. The KMT followed people to the states and harassed them.

USA have given enormous opportunities to Taiwanese. Don’t try to sell like their rights, opportunities have been limited.
Opportunities, rights of Western people in Taiwan are limited. People have troubles getting simple credit cards or tax refund. In 2023.

This racism card Asians play in America is reflection of own cultural insecurity and strong racial believes. Remember my words when you want play yourself victim. Slap yourself to return to reality

Are you familiar with American history? Chinese Exclusion Act? Japanese internment camps?

At least the US didn’t put three out of every four Jews into gas chambers.

I’ve noticed Morris Chang uses Americanisms in his speech.
三星是八百磅的猩猩
笑到銀行去

Chang thoughts are strongly influenced by American and British ideas. He was like 18 when move to USA and did university, PhD, got first job there. Before probably went to British elementary school in Hong Kong. He didn’t learn his skills in Taiwan. He executed his vision in Taiwan.
Think of Lee Kuan Yew, British educated. There is a reason why so many rich Asians want western education for their kids. At least before woke times.

Would not call short period of 300 years a history. Joke aside, most importantly and how America will be remembered. USA devolped capitalism and modern standard of comfortable living to the world. This is an American legacy. Partly British, but not a German, not a Russian, neither Japanese or a Chinese.

You might better think of how those others countries will be remembered.

That’s true, but what about the way he runs TSMC is American? I’m sure there are many ways, but can’t think of them off the top of my head. He keeps saying TSMC-America would never work.