The TSMC Thread

1 Like

It’s a cost base saving. They only pay the additional wage if the company makes sufficient profits. They keep the cost base low to save costs and not have to reduce the workforce when things are not great. Thus the keep the intelligence capital employees and not letting them go to competition.

1 Like

This last bit I don’t think is correct it’s just not many other options for them to go to .
Actually they are going to Chinese companies cos they offer higher pay deals obviously.

Staff will always come and go. But keeping 100 staff rather than firing them is huge for a company like TSMC.

They usually do unpaid leave in Taiwan rather than layoffs and then hope they will quit in certain cases .Firing people means you have to pay them half a month for every year worked. Also more mafan I guess.

TSMC’s staff turnover rate is 4%, aka very low. Your argument is invalid.

I’m not 100% sure, but I think it depends on who designed the chips. There was an article explaining this on semi recently, I’ll try and dig it out later.

Read again, that SUPPORTS my argument.:grin:

1 Like
1 Like

Load up on TSMC?

Trump administration is probably bogus on this one. But anyway get outta there, you SMIC!

Not TSMC, but 台韓好友. Dimensity is a dumb name for a chip, it’s like you’re some demented lunatic.

Now everyone is banned from supplying Huawei without a license.

Intel and AMD somehow got licenses. Unless there are other forces at work, this is going to sink Mediatek.

They were expected to pick up the slack when other Chinese phones come in to fill Huawei’s void. This means Intel and AMD would do it.
https://pocketnow.com/huawei-to-continue-working-with-intel-and-qualcomm-could-be-next

Wuhan Hongxin Semiconductor

China’s most ambitious chip project, which poached a number of TSMC’s senior engineers, stands accused of being China’s largest fraud in the industry. The company is said to be on the brink of bankruptcy, with engineers and builders nearing a year unpaid.

:laughing:

Some engineers got bamboozled. They can sue in China for wage loss and see how well that goes!

5 Likes

Holy crap. SMIC makes 7nm chip.

1 Like

And following is probably why TSMC did well this year:

“Huawei Technologies Co. quietly spent months racing to stockpile critical radio chips ahead of Trump administration sanctions, ensuring it can keep supplying Chinese carriers in their $170 billion rollout of 5G technology through at least 2021.
Partner Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. began ramping up output in late 2019 of Huawei’s 7-nanometer Tiangang communications chips, the most crucial element in 5G base stations, people familiar with the matter said. The Taiwanese contract manufacturer eventually shipped more than 2 million units at Huawei’s behest ahead of the sanctions cutoff last month, one of the people said, asking not be identified discussing internal matters. The sheer magnitude of orders at one point got TSMC executives wondering whether they had underestimated global demand, the person said.”

1 Like

I guess this means “we copied them all by ourselves”.

1 Like

Does IP stand for intellectual property in this instance? I’m not an electrically engineer.