The TSMC Thread

Yes. At least I’m not sure what else it could stand for in that context.

OK. In the US we usually don’t say IPs in the plural.

14nm was the big hurdle for SMIC as that was a shift from planar to FinFET tech. They’re hitting this node a bit quicker than some expected, but not surprising.

They will miss the market window for 5nm, and EUV is going to be a big issue for them with the current US sanctions. But I think it’s overestimated how much this matters. China built something like 15 fabs last year and are ramping up in more mature nodes which will be more important for IoT.

1 Like

The mere fact that they could do it scares me, nevermind mass-produce it.

Good write-up on Mediatek’s ascendancy.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

IT’S (ALMOST) OFFICIAL: TSMC TO GET INTEL’S ORDERS, ALL BOOKED FOR FIRST HALF OF 2021.
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3595175-tsmc-gets-large-intel-chip-order-apple-r-and-d-plant-reports

According to this “I hate Korea Show,” they were worried because TSMC wasn’t expanding its capacity, and Samsung’s CEO was running around scrambling to fix production and quality issues.

this news is from Jul. 27, 2020

3 Likes

Good catch. Why hasn’t it been announced?

3 Likes
3 Likes

I saw that , that will put salary pressure on other electronics manufacturers to match…They obviously realised they were causing more headaches for themselves losing valuable experience staff on a down year to competitors or failing to attract those who want a more guaranteed package per year (always my preference ).

2 Likes

Yeah, hopefully this will ripple throughout the whole economy and make wages rise.

3 Likes

Yes. It as the article states the base is rising not the total remuneration. Still a positive for Taiwan’s employees.

This can also make it easier for the government to raise minimum wages in their next budget.

1 Like

I wonder did the government push them to do this ?

1 Like

It could be.

2 Likes

It’s load up on UMC, since SMIC only makes the less advanced ones. Intel is taking orders for 28nm

By the way, UMC’s founder Robert Tsao claims the pure-play semiconductor foundry was his idea. I tend to believe him, because it’s usually the second guy who gets credit. (e.g. Leibnitz invented calculus first)

This would be good, but reading the content of the article “ In 2019, TSMC paid entry-level employees with a PhD a basic salary of NT$48,130 (US$1,689) on average, up from NT$46,600 in 2018, and paid master’s degree holders NT$32,530 on average, up from NT$32,500 a year earlier, according to TSMC.” I am surprised TSMC had such low wages. Like a joke.

2 Likes