The TSMC Thread

AMD will surpass Apple as TSMC’s largest customer, because laptops.

2 Likes

1 share is now worth 524k TWD or 18,560 USD.:grin:

1 Like

Since packing more and more transistors on a chip is reaching its limits, TSMC and Google are concocting a new ay to make chips more powerful.
TSMC and Google push chipmaking boundaries with 3D ‘stacking’ - Nikkei Asia

Chaos at SMIC.

Liang Mong Song getting his karma.

2 Likes

SMIC is an unfortunate acronym. It means minimum wage in French.

Nvidia is locking up with Samsung. Watch out.

I wrote a thesis about how/why TSMC and Taiwan are so key for helping the world to innovate https://erickhun.com/posts/world-innovation-taiwan-semiconductors/?fo

4 Likes

Intel says they might outsource their chips into 2023. (Quote in English)

Great thesis, thank you for sharing. It really helped make the complicated process of semiconductor fabrication and why each component is important a lot easier to understand.

2 Likes

Intel’s orders for its CPU will go to (drumroll)…

1 Like

i believe they chose to manufacture in-house for the foreseeable future.

Cool, you have a source? I would believe this since they got a new CEO who’s an engineer.

it was during their most recent earnings call 2 weeks ago. I didn’t listen to the entire thing, but they’re doubling down on internal production. We’ll see how it pans out - I’m also a big fan of the new CEO.

1 Like

CEOs are vastly overrated and overpaid. One guy won’t turn a ship around.

1 Like

disagree - but i respect your opinion.

1 Like

It’s hard to decipher what he said. He said they can do in-house until 2023, but they still might outsource some production to foundries. We don’t know anything about quantity.

Slightly off topic but has anyone ever read anything about Morris Chang’s views on Taiwan and its relationship with China? I am curious if he considers himself to be mostly Chinese, Taiwanese or American.

All I know is he’s supportive of Taiwanese going to China to work.

I think more important are looking at his actions, which were strongly focused on investing in Taiwan .
Anyway the Taiwan government and banks bankrolled the whole thing…Hence ‘Taiwan’.

1 Like