The Ultimate Sacrifice: BS or something else?

I suppose this is where it will end, because it is afterall MY opinion, and I do not speak for anyone but myself.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]JD:

[quote][quote]HG:
People kill themselves all the time, mostly out of cowardice or an inability to deal with life. Someone topping themselves for a political belief just makes that death all the more a welcome event, in my book. [/quote]

Like Jesus?

Or Socrates?

NOT that I am comparing them to anyone mentioned in this thread…is that clear?[/quote]

I still don’t get any sense of something extra special, bloody minded, maybe. Socrates was supposedly offered exile. Now if he was as keen a teacher as he was supposed to be, he could have added to humanity even in exile. He selfishly chose honour. Jesus I don’t know about, was it suicide?

But as you say JD, it’s a personal thing.

HG[/quote]

Socrates KNOWINGLY and CONSCIOUSLY drank poison. He felt it was for good reason. I don’t want to agree or disagree that he was right or wrong. That’s what he did. He accepted that this was the end and walked into it. To me that’s a “Holy shit!” moment worthy of note. It is a rare thing IMO. It is a moment Bobby Sands shared, as well as the terrorists who flew into the WTC.

OK, now we’re into the secondary discussion: cause.

What is a worthy cause to sacrifice oneself to? Is any cause worthy enough to give up one’s life?
Do we include nonpolitical suicides?

Only the one that I am about to commit if this thread continues…

That’d be cool.

HG

My bro-in-law offed himself last week. I’ve no doubt he felt it was for a good reason too, and that he also did it knowingly and consciously – you don’t dive off a tall building as a cry for help. “Holy shit?” “Worthy of note?” Why, exactly?
And Bobby Sands was a murdering piece of shit, lets not forget that, or believe the Noraid propaganda that was fed to you as a youth.

My bro-in-law offed himself last week. I’ve no doubt he felt it was for a good reason too, and that he also did it knowingly and consciously – you don’t dive off a tall building as a cry for help. “Holy shit?” “Worthy of note?” Why, exactly?
And Bobby Sands was a murdering piece of shit, lets not forget that, or believe the Noraid propaganda that was fed to you as a youth.[/quote]

Agreed, and if there’s a “fuck you” element, as seems to have been the case with Socrates, it’s especially galling.
Hope the family can find their way clear of any unnecessary guilt over the bro’ in law, Sandman.

HG

And Bobby Sands was a murdering piece of shit, lets not forget that, or believe the Noraid propaganda that was fed to you as a youth.[/quote]

I too am sorry for your family’s loss Sandman…

Why or how worthy of note depends on how you look at it. It’s a messy topic for sure, but one that proves that we all do have full and final control of our lives. THAT is a good realization, but one that can be used for good or evil. This is why I say it would be nice if more people understood it before they decided to sacrifice themselves…for whatever reason.