The United Kingdom of Great Britain, NI and France

Previously classified documents from the 50s reveal that French PM Guy Mollet proposed a union between the UK and France.

[quote=“The BBC”]“When the French Prime Minister, Monsieur Mollet was recently in London he raised with the prime minister the possibility of a union between the United Kingdom and France.”

So, when Eden turned down his request for a union between France and Britain the French prime minister came up with another proposal.

This time, while Eden was on a visit to Paris, he requested that France be allowed to join the British Commonwealth. This, if accepted, would make the Queen France’s head of state.[/quote]

La vie est vachement bizarre, non?

This seems such a weird idea to me - I understand Mollet was desperate, but considering the historical antipathy between the two peoples and French pride, such a union seems unimaginable, especially in relinquishing French sovereignty to the UK. A truly intriguing notion.

Depends where in France. The British have always been close to Normandy. Calais is more British than some parts of Britain. England is Norman anyway. We used to be Pagan Pan worshippers until the Normans came then we became Christains and all wanted to impress the neighbors with our French.

We used to take part in Greek fertility rituals until 1066? What about Aelfred? The Romans, the Irish monks and the Germanic settlers brought Christianity. Plunged Briton into the dark ages. Viva la renaissance!

Interesting article, T.

it’s already happened: it’s called the EU.

I think its a fantastic idea and should definitely be re-examined. Oh yes how would the Aussie’s deal with that, someone actively courting our queen while they try to oust her :laughing: Plus of course we could presumably get Quebec back for Canada (is it true they are independent now?) and maybe even ban the eating of Horses! Plus English would have to become the mother tongue!!!

Would we also get Martinique, Tahiti, etc.?

More importantly, would it become known as English toast, English kissing etc?

Toast from white unsliced loaves with my gran’s damson jam and a peck on the cheek under the viaduct. Stop, I’ll get homesick…

Ah Buttercup I was suggesting that what is currently called French Toast would become English toast…I despair.

French toast: Vive la France?

english toast: up yours!

[quote=“urodacus”]French toast: Vive la France?

english toast: up yours![/quote]

French food in my opinion tastes like crap yuk yuk yuk
WHen in England I went with my millionaire boss to the best French restaurant in northern France. I thought I would have the wild boar. I had that in Taiwan a few years back and though it was delicious. The French version however was just a barely cooked piece of wild pork, still with some blood on it, and a tiny salad dressing. YUk I had to get drunk on their over-rated French wine to eat it.
However their cheeses are good, and they have Montecarlo where you can watch what all the rich people do. The grils are sexy when they remember to shave. They play good football and rugby and are fast on bicycles. As for a union well only if they bring their cuisine up to British standards. Then we can talk. Oh yeah and no more gay hairderessers, we have enough already.

[quote]French food in my opinion tastes like crap yuk yuk yuk
bring their cuisine up to British standards. Then we can talk. [/quote]

lol a brit shiteater telling than french food is crap? muhahahaha I can’t believe it…

are you living on another planet or what? :astonished:

british food standards??? :loco: you mean water boilled rosbeef with a ‘delicious’ mint jelly or maybe a good fish and fries with a slice of chedar? :laughing:

muhahahaha

Yes most of the French food is very disgusting and over rated. Most of the food i had there was too raw to be tasty. ALso very rich. Pigeons taste revolting. Yes very unimpressed. English food is far more to my taste. Try and watch Gary Rhodes or Floyd on food it might change your mind about British food. Can’t beat a good ol English breakfast. Bacon, sausages, scrambled egg, baked beans, fried bread etc. Beats the hell out of frogs legs snails and raw meat.

Any of you want to eat real British food then check out gary rhodes on the internet. Yum yum Lamb chops roast potatoes and mint sauce or trifle and treacle pudding. Makes me hungry just thingking about it. Most of the ignorant tourist that go to Britian just think “fish and chips”. Lots of great British food, especially fish. Scottish salmon yum yum

[quote=“doraemon”]british food standards??? :loco: you mean water boilled rosbeef with a ‘delicious’ mint jelly or maybe a good fish and fries with a slice of chedar? :laughing:
[/img][/quote]

Fish and chips with a slice of cheddar? Now that would just be gilding the lily. And how can you boil roasted beef? And mint goes with lamb… Basic principles…

British food is amazing. Saying fish and chips is the zenith of Britain’s culinary powers is like saying that those shitey cabbage and e-coli 50 dollar buffets are the best Taiwan has to offer. Of course, a lot of food may not to be everyone’s taste, but Britain has some of the finest food in the world. I thought Taiwanese food was utter shit until I ate at someone’s house and their grandmother cooked for me. That’s how it works in the UK too. My father was an amazing cook; Keith Floyd-ish. Get yourself a home invite, if you have the power.

I also love French food. I was broke in France but I could live cheaply on delicious bread, cheese, mussels, tomatoes, wine, pissaladiere (probably misspelled), pain bagnat. Oh, I loved sitting in the botanic gardens when the kids were asleep, eating my pain bagnat. Crepes with chantilly cream. Never went to a ‘restaurant’, I couldn’t afford it but it didn’t matter at all. I’d be gutted if I had to live on British or Taiwanese ‘street food’.

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“doraemon”]british food standards??? :loco: you mean water boilled rosbeef with a ‘delicious’ mint jelly or maybe a good fish and fries with a slice of chedar? :laughing:
[/img][/quote]

British food is amazing. Saying fish and chips is the zenith of Britain’s culinary powers is like saying that those shitey cabbage and e-coli 50 dollar buffets are the best Taiwan has to offer. Of course, a lot of food may not to be everyone’s taste, but Britain has some of the finest food in the world. I thought Taiwanese food was utter shit until I ate at someone’s house and their grandmother cooked for me. That’s how it works in the UK too. My father was an amazing cook; Keith Floyd-ish. Get yourself a home invite, if you have the power.
.[/quote]

Good points made here.
Many foreigners come to Taiwan and say Taiwanese food is shit. When you ask them how much they spend it is usually about 80 taiwan dollars. Well if you want really good Chinese/Taiwanese food then be prepared to pay a bit more and you will be surprised at how good it is. Spend a 1000 Taiwan dolars in a good restaurant (still cheaper than going to a good restaurant in the west). You will be amazed at how good the food is here. Just like British food if you are prepared to do the preparation time and put in the costs you will get excellent food.
Here is the link for Gary Rhodes so don’t ever again doubt the supremecy of well done British food! :laughing:
garyrhodes.com/main.html
well Greek food comes in close

[quote=“doraemon”]lol a brit shiteater telling than french food is crap? muhahahaha I can’t believe it… [/quote]Go direct to Italy for good food or drink - end of story.

[quote=“doraemon”][quote]French food in my opinion tastes like crap yuk yuk yuk
bring their cuisine up to British standards. Then we can talk. [/quote]

lol a brit shiteater telling than french food is crap? muhahahaha I can’t believe it…

are you living on another planet or what? :astonished:

british food standards??? :loco: you mean water boilled rosbeef with a ‘delicious’ mint jelly or maybe a good fish and fries with a slice of chedar? :laughing:

muhahahaha [/quote]

you may think we eat shit but at least we don’t shit ourselves everytime we see a German ROFLMAO

[quote=“Taffy”]Previously classified documents from the 50s reveal that French PM Guy Mollet proposed a union between the UK and France.

[quote=“The BBC”]“When the French Prime Minister, Monsieur Mollet was recently in London he raised with the prime minister the possibility of a union between the United Kingdom and France.”

So, when Eden turned down his request for a union between France and Britain the French prime minister came up with another proposal.

This time, while Eden was on a visit to Paris, he requested that France be allowed to join the British Commonwealth. This, if accepted, would make the Queen France’s head of state.[/quote]

La vie est vachement bizarre, non?

This seems such a weird idea to me - I understand Mollet was desperate, but considering the historical antipathy between the two peoples and French pride, such a union seems unimaginable, especially in relinquishing French sovereignty to the UK. A truly intriguing notion.[/quote]

I guess it’s not that wierd. Remember that 100yrs war shindig? There are still lots of town in ‘Aquitane’ where the last really exciting thing that happened was the Black Prince burned it down

Yeah, we’ve been annexing eachother and forming alliances in the name of empire building since 1066, through the Hundred Years’ War (why did they call it that?) to the present day EU.

What’s different now? The serfs get to vote, so we get secret deals instead of Agincourt…

[quote=“Buttercup”]Yeah, we’ve been annexing eachother and forming alliances in the name of empire building since 1066, through the Hundred Years’ War (why did they call it that?)

What’s different now? The serfs get to vote, so we get secret deals instead of Agincourt…[/quote]

Certainly the joke these days is that there are more Brit’s in Aquitane now than since the 100yrs war. Why even Tony’s got a place just down the road in Gers.