The Weather 2003

what happened to the good weather?? Did we jinx it?

wheew… hot one today :sunglasses:

And I had to go down to Xinzhu and see a buyer. That meant a dark suit. Hot like hell. Just got rid of that !@#$ tie.

The woolen siut pants are still worn and they are nice and sweaty by now.

It’s definitely too hot and muggy again. That’s one of the main problems with Taiwan’s climate – when the sun is out, the temperature quickly soars to uncomfortable levels, and we rarely get to enjoy the mild sunny weather that makes autumn so lovely in northern climes. Sadly but predictably, that glorious weather last week was too good to last.

Still, these are pretty good conditions for messing around in creeks up in the hills.

Too hot? What a load of bullocks. It’s a perfect morning in Taipei, and I’m relieved that the lovely weather hasn’t finished yet. i never can remember when that awful Winter starts.

I’m off for a bike ride in a minute.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Too hot? What a load of bullocks. It’s a perfect morning in Taipei, and … I’m off for a bike ride in a minute.
Brian[/quote]

Enjoy your good sweat in the blazing sun!

When I was a mere stripling like you, I used to cycle up to Wulai at midday in mid-summer, day after day, and think nothing of it. Indeed, I loved the sun, the hotter the better, and when I got so drenched in sweat that it was like I’d just stepped out of the shower, I loved it all the more. Locals thought I was crazy, and I couldn’t understand their point of view at all. And like you, I would have pooh-poohed comments about it being too hot.

However, the older I get, the more uncomfortable I feel in this hot and muggy weather. I never needed air-conditioning in my early years here, and seldom even bothered with a fan, but now I can hardly bear to venture out of air-conditioned coolness when the temperature climbs above 30C outdoors.

So enjoy it while you can, Brian, because you probably won’t always find it so much to your liking. :wink:

Good drinking weather. :laughing:

A sure sign that time is running out on your stay in Taiwan. Nothing worse than living where the climate gets you down.

A sure sign that time is running out on your stay in Taiwan. Nothing worse than living where the climate gets you down.[/quote]

Or find a good “hill station” one can retreat to from the summer heat, just as our countrymen did in the heyday of the British Empire.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a suitably habitable place at a high elevation that offers the best summer climate in Taiwan?

Good drinking weather. :laughing:[/quote]

Almas, have you ever experienced climatic conditions in Taiwan that did not qualify as “good drinking weather?” :laughing:

Touche… :slight_smile:

I thought this last summer in Taipei was as close to insufferable as it gets. Reminded me of living in Ho Chi Minh City. Then I spent two weeks in July in Phoenix, the hottest July since then started keeping records… :sunglasses:
I don’t know any Mt. Abus around here, but maybe you could oversummer in Hokkaido.

Of course not!! But let me rephrase my statement to “good lager weather.”

Whilst not in Tigerman’s league I like to think of myself as a reasonably sophisticated drinker and I actually take pleasure in switching my drinks to suit the weather. During the few weeks of cold weather we have down here, I change from lager to bitter. And if I have classy female company, I drink my grog from a glass.

You mean a glass slipper, surely… :wink:

Wolf wrote[quote]You mean a glass slipper, surely… [/quote]

No, I mean a glass. I drink 600ml bottles so when I’m with a classy woman
I drink out of a glass.

Glass slipper? Bloody hell!! You may have a shoe fetish. Can I introduce you to a doctor up in Taipei? I noticed in the “Mormons in Taiwan” thread (and the “Mormon missionary” thread of 18 months ago) that you have long been obsessed with Mormon undergarments. :laughing:

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]

Or find a good “hill station” one can retreat to from the summer heat, just as our countrymen did in the heyday of the British Empire.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a suitably habitable place at a high elevation that offers the best summer climate in Taiwan?[/quote]

Baling is a nice one, and closer to Taipei, you have the mountains at Yingge/Sanxia.

If you want something which it’s possible to commute to Taipei to, then the place I live - which has gardens as well, so you can sit outside and enjoy the breeze. It blows thru all summer, so no aircons are needed.

The elevation is not high, only 391 meter.

Great weather on Fri. and Saturday, love it but it was a bit tooo hot for me. Heard that the rain is coming today and for the next few days as well, so stay dry guys and don’t get sick!!!

Take care and eat your vitamins…

i know, i know, I sound like a mom…

I barbecued in my garden Saturday and went down the mountain to take the no 1 girl to the night market afterwards. Great weather. Sunday was a bit drizzly, so I sat in the kerosene fumes and enjoyed the tropical heat - right until a Danish friend came by and got me to drive him up in the real mountains. (Yulao pass - Lidongshan).

It rained on the Xinzhu side of the mountain and it was sunny on the east side of the pass. Funny. You are in rainy fog on one side of the road, and sunshine on the other.

Though the sky’s rather dull, these temperatures are close to ideal – especially for vigorous outdoor activities like cycling, hiking or climbing. I hope this weather will linger a while before the bone-chilling clammy cold of winter arrives.

It’s too cold already. I’ve had to wear a jacket the last few days.

Walking in the breeze today at lunch near far eastern hotel, I felt horribly underdressed wearing a 3/4 sleeve shirt and capri pants… all the girls around me had on long pants or wool skirts and BIG fluffy scarves and coats…

Must be chilly??? Seems just fine to me