The Weather 2004

Could you possibly ask for better weather than this in the middle of Taiwan’s so-called “winter”?

This is certainly the warmest and sunniest of the 19 winters I’ve spent in Taiwan so far – we’ve still not had anything even slightly cold. It’s a dramatic change from the many winters in the past when we had to endure incessant rain and temperatures that regularly hovered around 5 or 6 degrees centigrade and chilled one to the bone because of the high humidity and the biting winds.

Brilliant winter weather!

My 17th and the best by far…spent all day Sunday playing frisbee with my daughter in shorts…amazing!

Cold !

Thermometer on the balcony now reads 6 C! Never knew that the Taoyuan area can get so damn cold!

Man, even JiaYi area is now 5 C!

Thank god for this electric blanket !

Is there a website where you can see the current temperature in Taipei? It’s always predicted temperature, but what about how cold it is now?

Brian

It’s supposed to be Taiwan’s coldest winter in 50 years. I’m loving every minute of it. Thick duvets, sweaters, jackets, walking without sweating - fantastic!
Last year was way too warm.

Newspapers reported temperatures hovering around -1*C now that is cold. Not Canada cold but at least in Canada we have central heat.

The Central Weather Bureau

Well at our 14F apartment it was 10.7 C this morning. With 60% humidity.

That’s bloody cold.

Now it’s 13 C exactly, humidity 59%. Which is pretty dry for Taiwan.
But hey, the sun is out and I expect it to become 15 C today.

Anyway, Taiwan concrete constructions are not built to insulate, buildings stay hot during summer and cold during winter.

At the home country they at least build inside and outside wall with in between insulation.

I just don’t know why houses are so expensive in Taiwan. Looking at the construction it should be cheap, cheap, cheap.

I like the weather like this. All it needs is for the sun to peep out to make it absolutely lovely. Without the rain, it’s ideal for walking and running, and a hundred times preferable to the enervating heat of summer.

Omni, you freak. It’s way too fucking cold. Too cold for cycling even. I went for a bike ride out at Danshui yesterday. It was icy. Parts of me were warm from the cycling, but most was freezing. Then the paper said it was 3.5 degrees in Danshui yesterday. Bloody typical. As soon as I get a holiday, the weather goes to shit.

Brian

or the old reliable Weather Channel Website

I have two small flannel blankets, a bigger acrylic one, comforter, a heat pack, and a cat who crawls under the blankets even after I leave for work. I got a small fan heater when I was and he’s been hanging out beside that all day. I broke down and got the heaters after spending the last couple of days seeing my breath indoors.

When I went to the Philippines for Christmas, it was nice here (although much nicer in the Philippines). I stay in Taipei for CNY and it’s cold and rainy. I can’t wait to see what’s going to happen for Spring Scream weekend…

It’s been so dull and rainy lately, that I can hardly tell I’m not back in London.

But this is how it always used to be here, before these last couple of aberrational winters. And if the weather has really reverted to normalcy, we can expect it to continue like this for many more weeks, with little hope of significant improvement until at least April.

I wonder if any of you are starting to suffer from seasonal affective disorder (SAD)? Perhaps it might be worth opening a light therapy salon to cash in on it.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]It’s been so dull and rainy lately, that I can hardly tell I’m not back in London.

But this is how it always used to be here, before these last couple of aberrational winters. And if the weather has really reverted to normalcy, we can expect it to continue like this for many more weeks, with little hope of significant improvement until at least April.

I wonder if any of you are starting to suffer from seasonal affective disorder (SAD)? Perhaps it might be worth opening a light therapy salon to cash in on it.[/quote]

God, reading this makes me feel depressed. No let up until April? Can that be possible?

I’ve noticed a bit of a dampening of spirits in my classes, and lower turnout. Perhaps it is the post-holiday blues, combined with the cold-weather blues.

On the bright side, there’s nothing better than sleeping under a large duvet with the woman of your choice when the weather gets this cold! I’ve rather enjoyed that aspect of the winter chill :smiley: .

Well, it’s not so bad after all: It looks like we’re going to have an interlude of pleasant weather this weekend before the next mass of wet and chilly air rolls in from the north. Better make the most of it!

Looks like that mass of London weather has arrived in Taipei

Not much joy in the weather this weekend, at least not here in the north. The snow on the mountains looks inviting enough, but it would hardly be worth contending with the flood of wide-eyed locals and traffic-clogged roads to go up there and enjoy it.

Good drinking weather.
I’m still happily swilling gallons of lager so it can’t be that cold (of course, being a hairy 124 kg bastard doesn’t hurt). When the almas switches to bitter, then you can be sure it’s cold; I’ll let you know when that happens.

It’s hard not to grump about with one’s spirit in one’s boots in weather like this. :frowning:

Could it be the end is in sight?

The Central Weather boys are claiming that this is the last day of it…

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE…This California kid can’t take too much more precipitation…BRING ON THE SUN !!!

What is that strange bright yellow thing in the sky? Have we done something wrong? Are the gods angry at us? Should we sacrifice something? Perhaps we can convince them the chickens are an offering.