The West, Native Americans, Columbus

After much wondering about where “Westerner” comes from, I came to the conclusion that it has to do with Europe and Asia technically being one continent and Asia is in the East of that continent and Europe is in the West. Curious to know when this usage arose. Silk Road era?

Europeans who spread their seed across North America originally came from that “West”. What do Taiwanese call people from South America? I don’t get the impression they fall under the “Westerner” category. I know Native Americans and First Nations are usually referred to as “Yin di an ren”, which I always tell them is actually “原住民” and I like to follow that up with a reminder that Taiwan is just as bad as the US and Canada with their treatment of the original people on “their” land. At least my K-12 education made me aware of how shitty colonialism is.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with the term “American Indian.” In fact, many American Indians prefer it.

they call us Waiguoren! lol adogah… nanmeiren… 原住民 or Huanah if you are from somewhere like peru!

1 Like

Some prefer “Indian” because it’s emblematic of just how fucking stupid Columbus was to think he’d landed in India.

1 Like

Traverses oceans in crappy boat and finds new world>>>gets shit about name

5 Likes

Yeah, what a moron.

You missed the part in the middle where he did genocide.

2 Likes

I know, I know. But you didn’t say “how fucking stupid he was to do a genocide”, did you? :slight_smile:

Bumping into an undiscovered* continent while trying to attempt a new trade route to India wasn’t the fault of Columbus.

What happened afterwards can be blamed on the likes of Cortes.

• by Europeans

EDIT: My mistake. Columbus was bad when governor of Hispaniola.

1 Like

Who could begrudge the American Indians/Native Americans their hatred of him? :idunno:

Not exactly.
In the 60’s AIM and the Canadian First People’s organisation met to unify their efforts and policies.
One outcome was that the US members accepted and embraced the “Indian” designation. The Canadian groups did not, designating “Native Canadian” or just Native as their preferred nomenclature.
“Indian” is highly unacceptable north of the border.

1 Like

Far be it from me!

How many American Indians do you know who hate Columbus? :thinking:

Yes, I’m aware. By “American” I meant, like, you know, American. :sunglasses:

A shit ton

ETA

3 Likes

You know them? For the ones I know, Columbus isn’t exactly one of their main preoccupations. The U.S. government maybe…

Uhh, yeah, I know plenty

1 Like

Why not both?

Hey, everybody’s free to hate whoever they want. :grin:

Precisely