Things that did not age well - the thread

That’s debatable.

Other concepts of the region exist including the broader the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), which includes states of the Maghreb and Sudan, or the “Greater Middle East” which additionally also includes parts of East Africa, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and sometimes Transcaucasia and Central Asia.

1 Like

Stupid when it was released more than a decade ago, but surely didn’t age well:

2 Likes

7 Likes

5 Likes

March 18. 2021

4 Likes

Well… in a sense he DID win if you’re measuring which state has the most Corona in the entire USA!

4 Likes

This is from the album art of Ophelia, she was ~34 at the time. Your second photo looks to be barely a year or two older than this thread, so more like 54, more like butterfly, released in 2017

My college sweet heart loved her earlier music, so I have a soft spot for the ol gal.

1 Like

Ditto! I think this has aged brilliantly:

Guy

1 Like

My high school sweetheart used to whispersing along to this song before we, uhhh, before I walked home along sidewalks, frosted with dreams, sparkling hard underfoot and all around…

Never before and never since.

4 Likes

Second oldest state in the US but a death rate near the US mean, great vaccination rates for the most at risk, and didn’t wipe his ass with the constitution like many states which performed the worst. If you take away media narratives and lies, this seems to have aged very, very well.

4 Likes

As for things that didn’t age well, how about every post during the 2020 US presidential election which said that Biden didn’t look old, senile, confused, mentally deteriorating, lost, or not with it and that Biden didn’t mumble, slur, lose his place, forget what he was saying, or otherwise just say crazy shit?

6 Likes

There was never a Level 4 / hard lockdown.

Cases currently total 16,336 (that’s including all the imported cases too) and 846 deaths.

8 Likes

Technically true. But we did get a completely pointless level √13 for a while and a bunch of legally-dubious measures such as quarantining entire buildings and shutting down schools (which would normally have been associated only with Level 4). They just didn’t use the term ‘Level 4’.

Total cases is unknown, because Taiwan still isn’t measuring or estimating them, and people presenting with COVID-like symptoms are/were discouraged from taking a test. This figure is almost certainly a gross underestimate.

I revised my estimate in a subsequent post to ‘a few hundred’ when it became clear that Taiwan was in no hurry (at the time) to vaccinate the vulnerable. So considering that crystal-ball-gazing is not an exact science, I was right there.

3 Likes

Uh huh

1 Like

… and did he get “outta here“?

3 Likes

i’m also wondering this, @finley ?

2 Likes

He wasn’t too far off in terms of deaths in relative terms. Is 846 deaths statistically significant compared to deaths elsewhere?

Hard lockdown was successfully avoided. He called that wrong.

2 Likes

846/16,336 is far off of 100/1,000,000

The confirmed case figure was a bit off the mark.

1 Like