Things To Do

I’ll be moving to Taiwan to teach english soon at the end of August. Just wondering if there are some things I should put on my “to do” list to help me get settled in. I guess opening a bank account there would be something I would want to do. How important is it to get a cell phone right away? What other thing will I need to do quickly as I settle in to Taipei.

Thanks,
Jeff

[quote=“Hwozdecki”]I’ll be moving to Taiwan to teach English soon at the end of August. Just wondering if there are some things I should put on my “to do” list to help me get settled in. I guess opening a bank account there would be something I would want to do. How important is it to get a cell phone right away? What other thing will I need to do quickly as I settle in to Taipei.

Thanks,
Jeff[/quote]

Attend the Forumosa Happy Hour as soon as you get here; meet people, get connected.

I always thought bed and bike were high on the priority list. Get a place to stay. Get some kind of transportation (or learn the MRT) if you’re gonna be in Taipei.

I’ve been here 11 years and I still don’t have a cell phone…it’s not a priority IMHO.

Usually the school will direct deposit your paychecks, so getting a bank account should be easy enough…DO NOT LEAVE CASH AT HOME. Someone in here recently got wiped out!

Best advice I can offer is go to the HH.

jds

Have you already got a job?

Things To Do

1. Sit on sofa and drink beer

[quote=“LagerLout”]Things To Do

5.[/quote]
I have an even better plan:

2. ???
  3. Profit!

[quote=“Andre”]I have an even better plan:

2. ???
  3. Profit![/quote]
    :laughing:

I don’t think this will ever get old.

Get a cellphone right away. Figure out the MRT. Sign up for language classes (or get a Taiwanese girlfriend/boyfriend). Buy miltownkid a beer (<–this is one of the more important ones, write it down). Learn how to order food and stuff in Chinese (and stuff = taxi things, macking, etc.).

These should get you started to a loverly stay.

[quote=“Hwozdecki”]I’ll be moving to Taiwan to teach English soon at the end of August. Just wondering if there are some things I should put on my “to do” list to help me get settled in. I guess opening a bank account there would be something I would want to do. How important is it to get a cell phone right away? What other thing will I need to do quickly as I settle in to Taipei.

Thanks,
Jeff[/quote]

Get a cell phone. Land lines are expensive to set up (CHT Charges 3000NT setup fee for land lines) however it is required if you want DSL… If you find a house with broadband internet already set up, not only you save alot (pay 300 a month for broadband internet…) you also wont need to get a land line. Calling from cell phone to land lines is almost same as making long distance call to a land line. So get cell because you can take it with you… Then get a place to stay… Then find a place to work, get internet, whatever… learn how to use MRT (not that hard) once you do you wont need any transportation at all… learn some basic chinese, if you want to buy certain grocery it is cheaper to go to a traditional market for those than a supermarket.

Thanks, I’ll be practicing my mandarin before I arrive now for quite a bit. Hopefully I can get some basics down. Food is important…what other subjects would be good to review?

Jeff Hwozdecki

[quote=“Hwozdecki”]Food is important…what other subjects would be good to review?[/quote]Mackin’

[quote=“Hwozdecki”]Thanks, I’ll be practicing my Mandarin before I arrive now for quite a bit.

what other subjects would be good to review?
[/quote]

uhm, English? :wink:

Mackin’ would be the most important subject. Once your game is tight your womenz can do the rest of the work for you (buying food, getting a phone, laundry, etc.)

Depending on the level of your game you might not even need to get a job.

THREE CHEERS FOR MACKIN’ :smiley:

I must be horribly unhip, or is that diship?

What’s this mackin’?

Makin’??? Ok, That I get…but mackin’???

S’up with dat?

jd suffrin’

JD, it would appear we’re equally unhip. :help:

============

Um, the list of things to do should include a visit to the list of things to bring, no? Here you go:
[url]Moving to Taiwan, what should I bring with me?

When in doubt see Urban Dictionary:

[quote=“urbandictionary.com”][url=Urban Dictionary: mack]Mack- (verb) To hit on, flirt with, or seduce a female by using verbal or sometimes physical means of persuasion.

see also: Mack Daddy

“I’m gonna go mack me up some fine ass fo sho mah nigga!”[/url][/quote]

:laughing:

“Excuse me, do you speak Jive?”

[quote=“miltownkid”]When in doubt see Urban Dictionary:

[quote=“urbandictionary.com”][url=Urban Dictionary: mack]Mack- (verb) To hit on, flirt with, or seduce a female by using verbal or sometimes physical means of persuasion.

see also: Mack Daddy

“I’m gonna go mack me up some fine ass fo sho mah nigga!”[/url][/quote]

:laughing:[/quote]

[quote=“Kris Kross”]The Daddy Mack’ll make you
Jump jump
The Mack Daddy’ll make you
Jump jump[/quote]

‘S’mofo chou dofu layin’ me to da’ BONE! Jackin’ me up… tight me!

(I say this without a speckle of sarcasm) I bow to you, Sir. If you ever hold a seminar, I will be there.

[quote]
jds[/quote]
Don’t listen to him, Jeff. See how he’s mentioned that twice already? It’s obvious he’s just thirsty for some fresh, newbie blood :wink:

[quote=“tash”][quote=“jdsmith”]
I’ve been here 11 years and I still don’t have a cell phone…it’s not a priority IMHO.
[/quote]
(I say this without a speckle of sarcasm) I bow to you, Sir. If you ever hold a seminar, I will be there.[/quote]

I do at times see the need for one, but honestly when I was carrying my wife’s cell for a while, people would always call when I was driving, in class, giving a demo, trying to use a squater toilet when I had a cast on my foot…never again

[quote]

jds[/quote]

Well, that’s only true because I like to do a pre-emptive strike on people explaining how I can post so much and not be homeless. :wink:

What’s a cell phone? Don’t need a timepiece either, IMO.