Things you do a lot of, but never get good at

Truth is getting oldy

I agree wholeheartedly with this. It didn’t make any sense to me to be able to swim a decent 1500m but do so poorly in a 5k run. It wasn’t because of a lack of cardiovascular ability/strength, and the swim was proof of that. But I would be equally exhausted after these two events (whereas for a good runner, 25 minutes for 5k would be a walk in the park).

I’m going to start taking glucosamine sulfate next month. A full cycle of three or four months (or whatever it is). There’s still a part of me that is longing to do triathlon events again. Even once or twice a year would be great. If I do, then maybe finding a coach to correct running form would be smart.

For now, though, I’m actually enjoying the break and a focus on other sports.

Just use your hands and Italians will understand you.

1 Like

maybe your knee problems spring from (pun intended!) not using your feet and ankle tendons as a spring by running on the toes, but running more on the flat of the foot and impact loading the knee joint too much?

something someone once taught me, not that I can actually run anymore due to stuffed knees from skiing and motorcycle accidents. she had really nice long floating strides and great leg extension.

1 Like

Can knee problems be helped by building up muscles around it, I heard it’s possible.
Otherwise knee surgery is an option.

2 Likes

I tried everything. I even got Newton running shoes to change my form to a more mid-foot strike. That actually worked and bought me about 2-3 years of more running. But then in the last year, the pain after running became too much. My last run, I did 200m intervals with my son at a decent clip. The pain the next day was pretty intense.

I have decent muscle in my legs. I think for an injury that’s the best (building up the quadriceps, I mean). My problem is probably bad form plus bad genes.

I will probably need replacement surgery in my 70s. I actually stopped running because the thought of needing that in my fifties scared me!

knee stability problems can certainly be controlled by strong leg muscles, especially quads and shin muscles, but not cartilage degeneration issues such as arthritis.

I have no PCL ligament in left knee, and two reconstructed ACL (obviously that’s both knees). was advised to keep strong leg muscles, hence cycling. And i still ski with no problems, although for the first five years i did wear a knee brace for skiing before the muscles and new ligaments learnt to work together.

2 Likes

Your muscles might be tight. Causing an imbalance and putting more workout on the knee tendons. My patella tendonitis issues were just the symptom of my right quads. I have extremely strong quads that overtake my back side. Causing them to become tight.

Consider foam rolling your quads, lightly on the IT band, hamstrings, and calves, hips, and glutes. I use it daily and my pain levels for my knees have almost disappeared. This is coming from someone who tore his knee tendon before. Foam rolling is amazing. I do it everyday. I even bring it with me traveling because it saves me so much pain.

1 Like