Things you don't see in Taiwan anymore

I grow it, you sell it :smiley:

2 Likes

Ok pub
Talk now
Besides Farm House and waltzing Matilda I loved going to the Horse Shoe owned by Englishman Mike I think his name was with his young Taiwanese wife

He came over with the TRA purchase of the orange english made electric GE locomotives and stayed

Later went on to closing horse shoe and replacing it with another pub with a new tw wife in kenting

Anyone know him?
Mikes Horse Shoe was awesome with a live jazz band near every night

People drinking snake blood or bile or whatever at the night market.

3 Likes

It’s still around. You just have to travel a bit to get there. Barbara, the owner, moved the shop back to her hometown on Orchid Island.

6 Likes

What’s that saying, The future is here it’s just not evenly distributed. Probably equally true of the past. And then there is the change in our life stages, when I got here I was 28 and single, now I’m 50+ with kids. Having said that, a few things that come to mind:

• The most popular scooter used to be those Duke models, with the rounded ‘duck-bill’. Now all the scooters seem to have one of two looks: Neo-Vespa, or Transformers/Death-bot. (I guess the Gogoros are a recent offshoot of Neo-Vespa perhaps.)

• Speaking of scooters, there were lots of weird off-brand car models, perhaps locally made, don’t even know what those were but walked past an abandoned one in the country the other day and it triggered some memories.

• Giant cans of Miller beer! Must still be around but not in my world any more.

• Trucks cruising the alleys selling Dou Hwa, blaring from the speakers, “Dah Hweiiiiii”

7 Likes

This is still very much a thing still.
Not just Da Hui but also repairing screens, picking up electronics junk, meat vendors, etc. They cruise the alleys where I live every weekend.

6 Likes

Back in the day, places like DV8 IN Taipei, you could walk in alone, sit at the bar and you’d be talking to people around you in minutes.

That culture is gone. Either you go with your friends, or you sit alone looking like a weirdo.

5 Likes

Yeah not surprised to hear they are still around, I do see trucks selling veggies and whatnot, but haven’t heard the old ‘Dah Hweiiii’ in many years.

There used to be some old coots who have a stand pouring caramelized sugar onto a steel plate and shaping them into various figurines. Used to love those as a kid.

2 Likes

Nah, they just got older and less toothy haha :wink: instead of staring we just call out aunty the order and carry on.

Come to think of it, i havent seen a full blown scooter mob on scooters with swords and flags in a good long time.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen the ‘stand up man’ at the market for a while. You know the really professional ones who get a crowd going with their great give-aways of giant remote control cars and electronic keyboards and model helicopters to their mates pretending to be random punters . Roll up roll up. Love those guys.

2 Likes

This was what I was going to say! I remember maybe 3-4 years ago (or maybe longer) you could still see them quite a bit in Taichung city, but these past few years I haven’t seen any until today actually.

1 Like

How about the AA gun on one of the rooftops to the south of Hwy 1 in Sanchong on the way into Taipei from the airport? Although admittedly I haven’t seen it in a few years…

2 Likes

@flakman was that your rooftop? I saw AA guns from Highway 1, but on the ground. Some small-ish double barrel 30mm or so.

For me… I miss Roxy 99. But I’m not that much if an old-timer, arrived 2008 I think.

1 Like

Speaking of military… guard posts on bridges. One was on the corner down in Hsin-Tien with the road that comes from Wu-Lai, until some gangsters stole some guard’s gun and maybe shot him in the process. They got rid of those guard posts after that.

Pachinko parlors. Bright lights to keep the players awake, and rumors of something being sprayed through air system to keep them awake, too; never went into one though

Drinks at night markets in a plastic bag with a straw through the top strung tight

People scootering out to Tamsui from downtown Taipei, because MRT not yet built. That was a long fuqqing ride (on a 50cc, too, with a female companion), and always heavy traffic.

Cement trucks in Taipei running red lights in the middle of the night, as they got bonuses for #s of deliveries to constructions sites. Many stories of poor scooter drivers getting hit (a classmate of a local friend died after being hit)

And on similar note, signs on sidewalks showing bloody pictures after people got hit by cars/trucks after crossing the street illegally (either not at a corner or not waiting for crosswalk signal), to try and deter people from jaywalking

There are more, for sure.

3 Likes

Eeew, that was a thing?

Quite. Showed the ambulances/EMT people next to body or something.
They had them on Ho-Ping E. Rd. near the MTC of NTNU, as [us] foreigners would jaywalk (cross Ho-Ping east of the T-intersection) to go get lunch in the alleys of the university campus.

2 Likes

Yeah that was a long friggin ride, especially with a heavy female companion on a 50CC :rofl:

3 Likes

Dam 2022 minus 2008 is quite awhile and Tommy left in 99

I must say Taiwan must be a whole
New country by now

1 Like

Dam shame really

It’s the same here in the Bay Area don’t expect
To chat someone up

Bring your own friends or if not bring your cell phone and headphones and talk to people not there

3 Likes