Things you have eaten during a Typhoon

With the majority of restaurants closed down, what are you eating? Find anything good?

I just went across the street to buy some bread at a bakery (mingxing). I’d thought I should give some of those hybrid garlic-bread-and-bacon/cheese sandwiches a try – the ones where the loaf is cut in half and everything is stuffed inside such that you have a view into it’s interior. Well, it was horrible. How can people eat that stuff?

By the way, does anyone know if the Starbucks (Tainan area) are open? I could go for some coffee and a book.

you haven’t tried

A) cooking

or

B) buying enough the day before to have leftovers?

PS yes, most westerners think that taiwan bakeries leave a lot to be desired. some very strange taste combinations there. i recently had a mini loaf (bun sized) of nice black bread (i mean, charcoal black bread) that turned out to envelop a lovely potato with wasabi mayonnaise. mmm, surprising to say the least.

PPS no idea about the 'nan starbucks.

[quote=“archylgp”]With the majority of restaurants closed down, what are you eating? Find anything good?

I just went across the street to buy some bread at a bakery (mingxing). I’d thought I should give some of those hybrid garlic-bread-and-bacon/cheese sandwiches a try – the ones where the loaf is cut in half and everything is stuffed inside such that you have a view into it’s interior. Well, it was horrible. How can people eat that stuff?

By the way, does anyone know if the Starbucks (Tainan area) are open? I could go for some coffee and a book.[/quote]

Not sure about Starbucks. Almost sure only 7-11 will be open. The wind has died down a little, so perhaps you could go have a quick look.

I’m eating pies today! Woo Hoo!!
If you’re in Tainan you should order from Zebra Steve. The guy with the tea shop in Nan Men road that sell, Rooibos tea, biltong and boerewors. If you don’t have his info I could post it.
The pies are great, btw.

biltong! mewants. must get to tainan.

Don’t know about Tainan, but I just stuck my head out the window and can see lights on in the Starbucks down the road from me.

[quote=“bismarck”]
If you’re in Tainan you should order from Zebra Steve. The guy with the tea shop in Nan Men road that sell, Rooibos tea, biltong and boerewors. If you don’t have his info I could post it.
The pies are great, btw.[/quote]

I’ll do some scouting around a bit.

Green noodles.

[quote=“archylgp”][quote=“bismarck”]

I’ll do some scouting around a bit.[/quote]

zebradotct.com/index2.html

Some happin’ music in the background. A fusion of sorts?

not sure about tainan, but around here in taipei (da’an), lots of eateries are open…including the buffet/cafeteria, pizza shop, shabu-shabu place, and cafe across the street.

Some happin’ music in the background. A fusion of sorts?[/quote]

Dunno, Radio Paradise from my computer.

Cold noodles with wasabi, tinned pineapple, canned citron fruit tea, thai film squid and Pringles Pizza flavour. Most of that stuff you could eat in a fallout shelter in the weeks following a nuclear war. Which is sort of encouraging when you think of it.

[quote=“archylgp”][quote=“archylgp”][quote=“bismarck”]

I’ll do some scouting around a bit.[/quote]

zebradotct.com/index2.html[/quote]

Good call, that’s the guy. He doesn’t make the pies, though. He orders them, but I’m sure he could hook you up. I recommend the biltong and boerie.

Red Snapper. :laughing:

I just ate some baked potatoes, and I’m going to cook some shrimp with lime and chili soon.

Breakfast was Thai noodles, and for lunch I made some daal.

Today we took a walk and ate at the Carnivorous Cow. It’s really called Bao Bao Niupaidian, but it has a picture of a cute little bull holding a knife and fork. He’s got a big smile on his face like he’s about to eat a relative. I had the chicken chop.

And then we went to look at the Xindian river. It was pretty full at noon.

Edit: Maybe it should be called, Cannibull.

Ok, talked to Steve, the boerie and pie guy. He said the website regarding the teashop posted earlier is aimed at Taiwanese interested in the business. If you want to order pies, boerewors or biltong, here’s his details.

[quote]here are the respective email addresses.

1. saboerewors@gmail.com
  2. tainanpie@gmail.com
  3. zebra.ct@gmail.com

(I will send a menu to any respondents and will be glad to
give them further information on how to order, etc. If someone
wants to order pies, boerie AND tea !! then just email me here:

asquiththebrave@yahoo.com[/quote]

Of the first three e-mails, no.1 is for boerewors and biltong, no.2 is for pies and no.3 is for Rooibos tea. I highly recommend everything as I regularly buy from him.

I got desperate and ate the candles.

Then the power went out.

I need to learn to think things through.

Aiyo! I’m not a seafood woman, but I’ve only been in one typhoon where I was seriously running out of food (Nari, a few years ago; the 7-11s were empty/flooded where I lived.) There were instant noodles, fortunately. It’s the water that got to be more of a worry as everywhere was sold out.

Every other time, it was business as usual in my 'hood.

When your flatmates are singing ‘Ave Maria’ and wondering whether you would taste like chicken is when you need to worry.

Yesterday, in preparation for the phoon, I made ravioli from scratch, and froze it. Last night, we grilled barbecue on a hot plate, with a CD of the Muddy Basin Ramblers on, good friends over for company, and a large jug of homemade sangria. Today, had a homemade salmon salad, homemade liang mian (cold noodles with peanut sauce), homemade fruit jello, and ended up eating homemade beef stir fry instead of the ravioli. We both like cooking, and have a full pantry, so typhoons are never a problem.

Humans don’t eat those, silly! They take those home for their pets.

[quote=“Ecaps”]I got desperate and ate the candles.

Then the power went out.

I need to learn to think things through.[/quote]

:laughing:

Yeah, you should plan ahead for typhoons!

Next time you make candles, add a bit of sugar and cinnamon to them – they’ll go down much better that way, come the next typhoon.