Thinking of separating

I don’t expect they do it. Paid by cash might be more possible.

@Hana, some bank might refuse to open your account because you are a foreigner, but you should try different branches in that case. And post office maybe give you an account without much problems.

1 Like

Is there any legislation regarding payrolls and foreign bank accounts?

For fuck’s sake, if needed I will help the OP open a bank account in my bank.

1 Like

Most companies make you open accounts at a specific bank. So all you can do is open an account at that bank but under a different name.

Business Banking in Taiwan

It is not mandatory to make payments to employees from an in-country bank account

Q: Do I need a bank account to work in Taiwan?
A: Technically your employer can pay you in cash, but most employers will require you to open an account at a certain bank to receive salary. This means that an expat can open quite a few bank accounts if he/she switches jobs a lot.

Q: Can foreigners open bank accounts in Taiwan?
A: Yes. However it is a tedious process especially if you are a USA or EU citizen because of extra paperwork. Also some bank tellers do not speak very good English so you may have a rough time opening an account. If you don’t speak Chinese, it may be a good idea to bring a Taiwanese friend with you to help with communication.

1 Like

Time to move on, Hana. Life is short and this will NEVER sort itself out.

I’m sorry you had to go through this.

You need to talk to them. Now.

2 Likes

3 Likes

All that I can add is that your husband is not the only one in the world who you can love or be loved by.

The older I get the more chances I have to see pain between couples. Some move on to a better situation…some do not. You are in a tough place and it might just get tougher…but do not give up on happiness. Keep that hope for happiness in your heart.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone. My arc it’s in taichung and bank people said I can’t make bank account without arc so i have to wait till that time. Rtnow i am in taipei city. And as for my family i wish I could say all this things but I can’t i am coward and i think I deserve all these that’s going on with me . I don’t know how to get out of this marriage i am so scared . What will happen to me if i leave this marriage where i will go ,what i will do ,how i will survive I won’t be able to trust anyone after this. I just wanna know what i am doing that is making him So unhappy .i will try my best to change and compromise. After all I don’t have courage to tell about this to my parents. I was thinking even if I separate I won’t tell to my parents and live alone here because i know divorcee daughter in our country people and neighbor will start teasing and taunting my parents which I can’t bear to hear. My life is already ruined I can’t give this burden to my parents. Idk anything about rules and regulations in taiwan. But first i will start saving money just in case if he ask money for that marriage ceremony i will pay him and ask for my freedom. I am so sorry everyone for being such coward and thank you all.

1 Like

Find a 1 room bedsit and stay married. Just separated.

To open a bank account you need your ARC, passport, and household registration (notarised at the notary office). It’s not that hard. You can have it all registered digitally so nothing gets sent to your house. You don’t really need a passbook but they’ll probably give you one.

I would suggest getting a new phone. Keep it to yourself. Use that phone for all your private details like your bank account and digital wallet. Keep the one your husband gave you so he thinks he’s still got you under his thumb.

Make some real life friends. Whether that’s yoga classes or coffee is totally up to you. It gives you somewhere to go to. Better still if they’re from where you’re from. That’ll help with any homesickness you might be going through.

Make a plan. There’s not much worse than struggling to find you way while being dumped on.

1 Like

I think maybe @Taiwan_Luthiers was made for you. Hit him up.

1 Like

Why’s your ARC in Taichung?

You can learn them now.

that is a good thing.

but you should not use the money in this way. You should use it to get your freedom, but it is not to pay to your husband for the ceremony.

no need to sorry to anyone else, but it should be to you. On the forum, we can try to support you by providing information, giving you some advices, encouragement etc., but at the end, who actually helps you from the current situation is you. You should visit some real person for this. Try to visit laf or NIA with any kind of ID. They can tell you about Taiwanese rules, and may provide you more places you could ask for real support.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to ask him for half of the money you both received (in all those envelopes) from all those people that attended the wedding ceremony. I’m guessing he took all of it but you were certainly entitled to half if he is saying you owe half for putting the spread on.

2 Likes

@Hana, I suddenly thought of you today. Wondering how you’re doing especially during CNY. Hope you’re doing OK. Did you contact your parents?

4 Likes