This Week’s WTF Story Award Goes to… (2022 edition)

That probably exactly why they do it this way. Keep out the uncool boomers.

Heck, I think I’ll open a restaurant for my generation. To get in you must be able to operate a dial telephone, know what “rabbit ears” are, and be able to write in cursive :laughing:

5 Likes

With a box for phones at the front door. :mobile_phone_off:

3 Likes

:scream:

4 Likes
5 Likes

That’s in Torrance (California) where I was born and grew up :astonished:

Sister Mary Margaret Embezzler was ordered to pay back over $800,000; that’s a hell of a lot of Hail Marys. I guess what happens in Vegas doesn’t always stay in Vegas.

2 Likes

The icy dementor

4 Likes

7 Likes

“The suspect fled but was eventually cornered nearby, where he refused to obey officers’ requests, according to Durham Constabulary.”

He must have been one of those truckers trying to steal food from poor people.

Nice work from the British police though. You don’t normally expect that kind of thing these days. If they answer the phone at all, they’re going above and beyond the call of duty.

1 Like

As my copper mate told me, if you want to see a police officer, the only way is to say there is an assault or robbery IN PROGRESS. After the fact, take a crime number and contact your insurance company.

My parents live within five minutes of what was the biggest police station in the Uk at one point. Never see police. Massive fight in the social club and they didn’t turn up. Spread too thin that night.

1 Like

You got to like Taiwan, we called 119 the other night for a minor thing, there was an ambulance and cop here within minutes.

6 Likes

I’ve seen in later follow-ups that the only injuries were minor cuts, so I now feel OK linking to this; an article linked below that.

This is on a river.

5 Likes

Why did you call 119 for a “minor thing”? It’s an emergency number.

It was a minor emergency.

5 Likes

So, um, I take it the breeze is a bit brisk over in Europe at the moment.

Imagine seeing this as you’re waiting in line to get on the ferry. (EDIT: Argh, I hope the video is working - it worked in Preview, but now I get sound, no moving pictures.)

8 Likes

as opposed to a miner emergency

2 Likes

“Oh, now I’ll make a joke about another meaning of minor!”

Eh, no, best not.

In unrelated news, I read that Prince Andrew is going to have a disappointing birthday this year.

4 Likes

That video is insane.

Guy

2 Likes

:thinking:
“Ummm…well it looks like the pandemic is ending, but we still want you to give us money for something you don’t need anymore…”
:laughing:
https://www.ft.com/content/28431085-4ce2-4232-86ec-85f3ae7d30ef

Moderna says pandemic will end in 2022 but annual boosters needed

1 Like

The truly ridiculous bit is that there will be a hardcore of vax fanatics who don’t merely go along with it, but will continue to insist that the refuseniks are terrible people.

“There is no world in which this is a one product company. We said all along this was going to be a zero product company because we fail or it will be a lot — and now we know which one it will be,” Stéphane Bancel, Moderna chief executive, told the Financial Times.

They literally built a company from nothing on the back of an invented crisis (mysteriously leveraging patents describing genetic sequences for a virus that definitely didn’t come from a lab) and are now going to bootstrap that advantage to produce a whole range of products that nobody needs. Ka-ching!

It seems like Bancel set out to create a biotech equivalent of Reginald Perrin’s Grot Shop.

1 Like