This Week's WTF Award Goes to

They came from somewhere that’s for sure.

[quote]Public defenders representing Bobby Brewster and Messer have recused themselves because they had represented some of the defendants in the past.

A public defender can’t represent a defendant in this case if they have represented any of the other defendants in past cases, Logan County Magistrate Court Clerk Deeanna Briggs said.

Since 1991, police have filed 108 criminal charges against the six.
[/quote]

That’s…uhm…a lot.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070917/ap_ … n_tortured

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]By the way, this wasn’t just an isolated week-long rape, torture, kidnap abuse incident.

[quote]A 20-year-old woman who the authorities say was tortured and sexually assaulted for more than a week at a ramshackle mobile home in Logan County, W.Va., knew at least one of her assailants and had accused him of abuse before, the police said yesterday.

That suspect, Bobby R. Brewster, one of six arrested in the torture case, had a previous relationship with the victim and was charged in July with domestic battery and assault after a dispute between them, Sheriff Eddie Hunter said. [/quote]
nytimes.com/2007/09/13/us/13captive.html

Aiyoooo! :loco:[/quote]

It’s this part that gets me.

I think race was not the real issue in the commission of this crime. Those people are just sick.

I’ve been a wobbler on the death penalty for years. But after reading this story I’m now leanings towards for.

MAIDEN, N.C. - A man who bought a smoker Tuesday at an auction of abandoned items might have thought twice had he looked inside first.
ADVERTISEMENT
click here

Maiden police said the man opened up the smoker and saw what he thought was a piece of driftwood wrapped in paper. When he unwrapped it, he found a human leg, cut off 2 to 3 inches above the knee.

The smoker had been sold at an auction of items left behind at a storage facility, so investigators contacted the mother and son who had rented the space where the smoker was found.

The mother, Peg Steele, explained her son had his leg amputated after a plane crash and kept the leg following the surgery “for religious reasons” she doesn’t know much about.

“The rest of the family was very much against it,” Steele said.

Steele said her son, John Wood, plans to drive to Maiden, about 35 miles northwest of Charlotte, to reclaim his amputated leg, police said.

guess he smoked it.

Aha! But technically it’s been sold, so in a legal and physical sense, he doesn’t have a leg to stand on.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Aha! But technically it’s been sold, so in a legal and physical sense, he doesn’t have a leg to stand on.

HG[/quote]

Erm… maybe he can make a replacement out of, erm… leg-o.

No, wait…

[quote] CARACAS (Reuters) - President Hugo Chavez railed against a new trend in beauty-conscious Venezuela, giving girls breast implants for their 15th birthday

“Now some people think, ‘My daughter’s turning 15, let’s give her breast enlargements.’ That’s horrible. It’s the ultimate degeneration,” Chavez said late on Sunday on his weekly TV show that lasted a record eight hours.

Venezuela is well known for its beauty queens, who have regularly won world crowns, and many women have plastic surgery in the oil-rich country where there is widespread spending on consumer items that would be considered luxuries elsewhere.[/quote]
news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070924/od_ … la_breasts

Guns, not boobs?

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote] CARACAS (Reuters) - President Hugo Chavez railed against a new trend in beauty-conscious Venezuela, giving girls breast implants for their 15th birthday

“Now some people think, ‘My daughter’s turning 15, let’s give her breast enlargements.’ That’s horrible. It’s the ultimate degeneration,” Chavez said late on Sunday on his weekly TV show that lasted a record eight hours.

Venezuela is well known for its beauty queens, who have regularly won world crowns, and many women have plastic surgery in the oil-rich country where there is widespread spending on consumer items that would be considered luxuries elsewhere.[/quote]
news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070924/od_ … la_breasts

Guns, not boobs?[/quote]Unfortunately, this is a growing trend in Latin America, and the present of choice for trend-setting quinceaneras.

In a land of such poverty and greater concerns than inflatable additions, such trend is really disgusting.

Right now, there is a soap opera called: Without Txxx, there is no Paradise. Summarizes the mentality just fine.

Aha … but beauty buys you a rich husband … :slight_smile:

Belgian Pie wrote:

In countries with almost 70% births from single mothers, I don’t think this is working quite well…

EDIT: You’re right, namahottie. I’ve moved it here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=74545

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]The cretins described in this thread are shocking; but not much more so than the community where they live. Check out Huntington, WV, the unhealthiest place in America.

[quote]HUNTINGTON, W.Va. — As a portly woman plodded ahead of him on the sidewalk, the obese mayor of America’s fattest and unhealthiest city explained why health is not a big local issue.

“It doesn’t come up,” said David Felinton, 5-foot-9 and 233 pounds, as he walked toward City Hall one recent morning. “We’ve got a lot of economic challenges here in Huntington. That’s usually the focus.”

Huntington’s economy has withered, its poverty rate is worse than the national average, and vagrants haunt a downtown riverfront park. But this city’s financial woes are not nearly as bad as its health.

Nearly half the adults in Huntington’s five-county metropolitan area are obese — an astounding percentage, far bigger than the national average in a country with a well-known weight problem.

Huntington leads in a half-dozen other illness measures, too, including heart disease and diabetes. It’s even tops in the percentage of elderly people who have lost all their teeth (half of them have). . .

Shari Wiley is a nurse at St. Mary’s Regional Heart Institute in Huntington. . ."A lot of the patients we were seeing were getting heart attacks in their 30s. They were requiring open heart surgery in their 30s. . .

The Huntington area is essentially tied with a few other metro areas for proportion of people who don’t exercise (31 percent), have heart disease (22 percent) and diabetes (13 percent). The smoking rate is pretty high, too, although not the worst.

However, the region is a clear-cut leader in dental problems, with nearly half the people age 65 and older saying they have lost all their natural teeth. And no other metro area comes close to Huntington’s adult obesity rate. . .

Poverty hovers, with the area rate at 19 percent, much higher than the national average. In the hilly coal fields to the South, people still live in houses or trailers with drooping, battered roofs. They stare hard at any stranger in a new car. In Huntington and its outskirts, many people think of exercise and healthy eating as luxuries. . .

The online Yellow Pages lists more pizza places (nearly 200) for the Huntington area than the entire state of West Virginia has gyms and health clubs (149). . .

Fast food has become a staple, with many residents convinced they can’t afford to buy healthier foods. . .

Lack of exercise is another concern. During a warm and sunny autumn week in Huntington — the kind of weather that would bring out small armies of joggers in some cities — it was unusual to see a runner or bicyclist. . .

When the health department tried to restrict smoking in local bars and restaurants, a group of local businesses fought it all the way to the state Supreme Court. (The restrictions were upheld in 2003.) Even hospitals have fought smoking restrictions . . .

Walden is a third generation physician in the area, but he’s also traveled extensively around the world. He says it’s always a little jolting coming home and realizing how obese his hometown is compared to the rest of the world.

“I don’t know that I’ve ever been in a place where I’ve seen so many overweight people,” he said[/quote]
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,452945,00.html

Yikes, what a hopeless tangle of ignorance, poverty and poor health. Of course it’s no excuse at all for the conduct described in this thread, but god what a horrible place to live. How on earth could one maintain a positive attitude living there? (I lived in WV for 3 years, so I know a little of what it’s like. I think housecat does too.)[/quote]

This could have been it’s own thread…

japantoday.com/category/crim … rink-in-iv

wtf

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/mother-arrested-for-attempted-murder-of-hospitalized-1-year-old-daughter-by-mixing-energy-drink-in-iv

wtf[/quote]

Munchausen by Proxy.