Thorough Health Exam?

Hi, I’m looking to get my mom a really thorough health exam. Any recommendations for the Taipei area (except for Tai Da, don’t like it there…long story)? Ideally, looking for cholesterol, glucose, BP, mammogram, colonoscopy (maybe?), etc. She doesn’t have health insurance at home, so it’d be an arm and a leg back home. I’d appreciate any recommendations. Do you make an appointment or walk-in? Thank you! :notworthy: :slight_smile:

About 6 years ago I asked at San1jun1 Hospital and it was around $12,000+ for a package set of pretty thorough exams lasting at least half a day, maybe all day. That’s not a lot by standards back home, where an appointment to have the U. of Chicago clinic throat doctor just look at your throat requires an obscene and ethically unjustifiable down payment of $500 US. I believe the list you give, being more limited than the package, would cost less than $12k, but the thing to do would be to inquire at the hospital. Sanjun has volunteers and translators available AFAIK but if you can bring your own bilingual friend to help, that’s even better. Some of the GP’s are fluent in English, so if you have trouble talking to the staff, just make an appointment with a GP (nei4ke4) and then talk to them.

EDIT – Advance appointments only.

Did mine at Mackay for 12,000nt. Appointments only. YOu need to fast for 12 hours the day before you go in. They had full day and half day sessions for the same money. Give them a call for the latest as mine was a few years ago.

I had mine at Tzu Chi, 16 thousand.

Most hospitals require you to have an apoointment, as you have to do a special diet and take some stuff before the colonoscopy/endoscopy.

Most have the basics covered, but you can add stuff. A PET is highly advisabel at a certain age and here in Taiwan is quite affordable.

Shinkong has this “health club package”, where they do a very through follow up. Plus, they have all materials in decent Englsih and you can ask for translations in other languages. This is the hospital reccomended for the diplomatic corps here.

From Da’an, take the MRT to Danshuiei and go to Jiantan Station -Shilin night market entrance-. There is a free shuttle to go to this hospital.

Check the previous thread on Health Exams and also Endoscopies for more detaisl on people’s experiences.

I had a great one recently and am very impressed with the quality and efficiency. Highly recommend. It did not include any instruments entering my body, thankfully.

MJ Health Screening Center, something like Mei Zhou Zhen Shuo. A few locations around Taiwan.

I have a contact that speaks English if you would like some information. The contact is female if that makes you or mom feel more comfortable. PM me for the phone number.

[quote=“Icon”]I had mine at Tzu Chi, 16 thousand.

Most hospitals require you to have an apoointment, as you have to do a special diet and take some stuff before the colonoscopy/endoscopy.

Most have the basics covered, but you can add stuff. A PET is highly advisabel at a certain age and here in Taiwan is quite affordable.

Shinkong has this “health club package”, where they do a very through follow up. Plus, they have all materials in decent Englsih and you can ask for translations in other languages. This is the hospital reccomended for the diplomatic corps here.

From Da’an, take the MRT to Danshuiei and go to Jiantan Station -Shilin night market entrance-. There is a free shuttle to go to this hospital.

Check the previous thread on Health Exams and also Endoscopies for more detaisl on people’s experiences.[/quote]

I had my health exam at the Tzu Chi hospital at Tan-Zih in Taichung County. Just under 16K. By appointment. I was very impressed at the quality of the equipment and the professionalism of the staff. Limited English from the nursing staff (can provide a translator on request, though as it turned out, I didn’t need it). Many of the GPs speak at least basic medical oriented English. If you are in the Taichung area, I highly recommend doing it at the Tzu Chi hospital.

I just went to Chang Gung Hospital for health exam in Taipei.
cgmh.org.tw/healthytpe/p_2.html
They offer 3 different packages:

1. base-line health exam: NT$8000
  2. brain and heart cardiac exam: NT$4800
  3. cancer prevention exam: NT$5050

I am not sure if there is any English translation. I speak fluent Mandarin.
I had the base-line exam, was very satisfied with their work and service: Thorough exams, plus consultation with nutritionist and doctors at the end of exam. Written report are mailed to your home in 14 working days.
Appointments are required.

[quote=“Scott123”]I just went to Chang Gung Hospital for health exam in Taipei.

I had the base-line exam, was very satisfied with their work and service: Thorough exams, plus consultation with nutritionist and doctors at the end of exam. Written report are mailed to your home in 14 working days.
Appointments are required.[/quote]

Thanks for the rec. Do you know whether all three packages can be done in one day? Also, are these three packages roughly what the other hospitals (like Tzu Chi) offer, too? I’d like my mom to have all three of these, wherever she goes: a thorough baseline exam, brain/heart exams, and cancer prevention exams.

My mom’s still trying to decide where to go. :slight_smile:

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“Icon”]I had mine at Tzu Chi, 16 thousand.

Check the previous thread on Health Exams and also Endoscopies for more detaisl on people’s experiences.[/quote]

I had my health exam at the Tzu Chi hospital at Tan-Zih in Taichung County. Just under 16K. By appointment. I was very impressed at the quality of the equipment and the professionalism of the staff. Limited English from the nursing staff (can provide a translator on request, though as it turned out, I didn’t need it). Many of the GPs speak at least basic medical oriented English. If you are in the Taichung area, I highly recommend doing it at the Tzu Chi hospital.[/quote]

I looked at the Tzu Chi website. They seem to have a place in Xindian, Taipei County. Would that be about the same, or is the one in Taichung especially good? I’m not sure if my mom can go to Taichung. Thanks.

[quote=“flowergirl247”][quote=“Scott123”]I just went to Chang Gung Hospital for health exam in Taipei.

Thanks for the rec. Do you know whether all three packages can be done in one day? Also, are these three packages roughly what the other hospitals (like Tzu Chi) offer, too? I’d like my mom to have all three of these, wherever she goes: a thorough baseline exam, brain/heart exams, and cancer prevention exams.

My mom’s still trying to decide where to go. :slight_smile:[/quote]
I believe health exams from hospitals are all similiar, but they package it in different ways to fit their marketing strategies and maximize their profit.
There are 2 hospitals in Taipei known to be working with travel agencts and actively recruiting tourists. They are Cathay Hospital (cgh.org.tw/tw/content/depart … _index.htm) and
Shin Kong Hospital (skh.org.tw/PMM/PCU/item.html).
They all offer similiar packages.
You just have to compare each package and choose the best one to fit your individual needs.

I think you can do all three packages at Chang Gung Hospital in one day, but make sure you make your appointment well in advance (at least one month ahead). When I called for brain/heart exam, they told me the earliest appointment is one month’s wait.
If you are not in a hurry, I would suggest that you schedule three exams in three different days, unless you don’t stay in Taipei. There are many tests in each package, it can be quite stressful to rush through everything for both you and for the doctors/nurses. The exam clinic area is nicely decorated and comfortable, plus they do give you a VIP treatment. I don’t see any reason to rush.

[quote=“Scott123”][quote=“flowergirl247”][quote=“Scott123”]I just went to Chang Gung Hospital for health exam in Taipei.

My mom’s still trying to decide where to go. :slight_smile:[/quote]
I believe health exams from hospitals are all similiar, but they package it in different ways to fit their marketing strategies and maximize their profit.
There are 2 hospitals in Taipei known to be working with travel agencts and actively recruiting tourists. They are Cathay Hospital (cgh.org.tw/tw/content/depart … _index.htm) and
Shin Kong Hospital (skh.org.tw/PMM/PCU/item.html).
They all offer similiar packages.
You just have to compare each package and choose the best one to fit your individual needs.

I think you can do all three packages at Chang Gung Hospital in one day, but make sure you make your appointment well in advance (at least one month ahead). When I called for brain/heart exam, they told me the earliest appointment is one month’s wait.
If you are not in a hurry, I would suggest that you schedule three exams in three different days, unless you don’t stay in Taipei. There are many tests in each package, it can be quite stressful to rush through everything for both you and for the doctors/nurses. The exam clinic area is nicely decorated and comfortable, plus they do give you a VIP treatment. I don’t see any reason to rush.[/quote]

Thanks so much for the information. With so many choices, we don’t really know much about which hospital is good here, so I’m glad this forum exists! Looks like Chang Gung Hospital might be out since I believe my mom’s only staying for another two weeks at most. I’ll have her call anyway. She hasn’t had a thorough checkup in the U.S. due to costs (though she has had a thorough blood test recently). I want her to have a really thorough and pleasant (as pleasant as medical exams can be, anyway) experience here.

Thanks again for the info.!

[quote=“flowergirl247”]
I looked at the Tzu Chi website. They seem to have a place in Xindian, Taipei County. Would that be about the same, or is the one in Taichung especially good? I’m not sure if my mom can go to Taichung. Thanks.[/quote]

I don’t know about Sin-Dian, but the one in Tan-Zih is their newest hospital. I have also been to the Da-Lin hospital, and while it is older, the quality seems good. The Tan-Zih (Taichung County) hospital had a floor devoted to preventitive health, was very nicely done, brand new equipment. Everything was first rate. I would be surprised if Sin-Dian wasn’t equally as good.

The one in Xindian is big, modern, well organized. There is a whole floor dedicated to the “day exams”.

I use it a lot because it is quite close to home, and the service is very friendly. Even for people from outside, it is quite convenient to get there, as they have their own shuttle and several buses.

Cheng Kung has a shuttle, too, from Taipei. It is quite well known for cancer research, so it is a good choice if that’s your worry.

Again, if language is an issue, Shinkong would be a good place.

Check them out yourself, call them and ask questions. They are always quite helpful - they want your business!

[quote=“Icon”]The one in Xindian is big, modern, well organized. There is a whole floor dedicated to the “day exams”.

I use it a lot because it is quite close to home, and the service is very friendly. Even for people from outside, it is quite convenient to get there, as they have their own shuttle and several buses.

Cheng Kung has a shuttle, too, from Taipei. It is quite well known for cancer research, so it is a good choice if that’s your worry.

Again, if language is an issue, Shinkong would be a good place.

Check them out yourself, call them and ask questions. They are always quite helpful - they want your business![/quote]

Thanks, Icon. Much appreciated! I called and it looks like Shin Kong asks for $27,000 NT for a comprehensive exam for women over 40. I tried calling Tzu Chi, but got disconnected twice during a transfer, so I’ll call again later. Do you or anyone else know if Tzu Chi or another hospital might be cheaper for the same exams? Or is $27,000 pretty reasonable in Taipei for a comprehensive exam (I know it’s really reasonable compared to the U.S.)? I don’t know if I should just go ahead and tell my mom to do Shin Kong. Thanks, everyone, for helping me comparison shop. :slight_smile:

What’s your mom plan if they find something abnormal?

God, I hope not. I just lost someone else recently. If so, she’d probably stay in Taiwan since she has the health insurance here. :frowning:

Below is a “list” of health prevention and promotion suggests from my brother who is a Family Medicine Doctor in the US. He sent this out to the family after a cousin’s untimely death. Hope it’s informative, I found it to be a helpful checklist.

1. Keep your immunizations up to date: tetanus every 10 years, flu every year, zoster, pneumonia when you get older. For the kids, do all the routine ones, girls, get the HPV vaccine.

2. Preventive services:
    All:
    a. Pneumonia and zoster (shingles) vaccine at 65.
    b. I disagreed with the suggestion so deleted it.
    c. Have your cholesterol checked every 5 years after the age of 35, and probably every 1-2 years if you already have high cholesterol (fasting blood test. Need only to not eat after dinner the day before your blood is drawn).
    d. Have your teeth assessed and cleaned every 6 months (there is some emerging research suggesting that the bacteria found in the mouth may be associated with some forms of the arterial disease causing atherosclerosis, and this is worsened by poor dental hygiene and gingival disease). Floss at least weekly, and brush daily (if not more frequently).
    e. Have your blood pressure checked and addressed every time you see a doctor or nurse practitioner/PA.
    f. If you have high blood pressure, treated or not, you should be screened for diabetes (fasting blood test).
    g. Exercise “most days of the week”. You should include both aerobic (running, biking, swimming) and resistance training (lifting weights, nautilus, etc.) You should work up to 45 minutes per session, and your aerobic exercise should target 65-75% of your predicted maximum heart rate, which is 220-AGE. You should not be able to carry on a regular conversation without pauses to breathe, or be able to sing (some easy ways to assess exertion level without checking heart rate).
    h. If you smoke, stop. No matter what it is, and what benefits might be derived, it doesn’t outweigh the increased risks of throat, lung, oral and esophageal cancer (and marijuana poses similar risks to tobacco).
    i. A vitamin a day is probably a good idea, though if you have a well-rounded diet, you’re probably getting enough of what you need. If you avoid a lot of sun exposure, and/or you avoid dairy products, you should probably (especially women) take a vitamin D and calcium supplement. Our gut can only absorb about 500 mg of calcium at a time, so keep this in mind when deciding on a supplement. Calcium carbonate is the cheapest, but should be taken with meals, and not used if you’re taking a medicine like Prilosec or Nexium (proton pump inhibitors) or Zantac or Prevacid (H2 blockers) for reflux (impairs absorpstion). Also, make sure that you look on the bottle to see how much elemental calcium you’re getting, as it may be less than what the tablet says (usually there is about 40% elemental calcium in calcium carbonate; it’s higher in the more expensive but better absorbed calcium citrate). Recommended doses are 800 IU daily of vitamin D, and 1200 mg of calcium (1500 mg for postmenopausal women) daily.
    j. Colonoscopy at age 50, until age 75. If you have a personal history of colon cancer, or are having symptoms (constipation, diarrhea, blood in stool, black tarry stools) you should go in sooner. If you have a sibling or parent who has/had colon cancer, you should start getting screened 10 years earlier than their age when they were diagnosed (i.e. brother diagnosed at age 40, you start your screening at age 30), or age 50, whichever is earlier.
    If you have no symptoms, no personal or family history of colon cancer, there are multiple acceptable screening methods. You could do a colonoscopy every 10 years, you could do a stool test looking for blood every year (do tests on 4 separate stools–your lab or clinician will provide you with the containers for the stool samples and directions), or flexible sigmoidoscopy (shorter version of colonoscopy, quicker, but no sedation usually–I used to do these, but we don’t have the equipment here. They’ve fallen out of favor with Family Medicine doctors, but they are still considered adequate tools for screening. Remember, screening means you have no symptoms, and we’re just looking for something before it starts causing symptoms.)
    k. Kids should have their height and weight measured at EVERY visit (even for a cold) and marked on their growth chart. Head circumference should be measured at EVERY visit and charted until age 3. Most problems are identified when a child changes from their curve, and this is only seen when multiple data points are collected. Ask about this at each visit.
    l. Kids should have their developmental milestones assessed by a questionnaire or by interview with the child and the parent at every well child visit (2 weeks, 2, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 24, 30 and 36 months are typically when I have well child visits with my patients). These involve questions that assess speech, language, gross and fine motor function.
    m. I think the most important part of well child visits are the measurements of vital signs, height weight head circumference, developmental milestones, feeling for any abdominal masses, and checking the eyes for what’s called a “red reflex”. This should be checked at every visit at least until age 3. There are other things, but the above is what I would most not want to miss.
    n. Diet: I could spend pages on this, but real quick. Keep your BMI below 25 (google BMI calculator if you want to figure yours out); each lots of vegatables, preferably fresh or only lightly steamed; fruits also good, grains good, meat sparingly (really only need about 3-5 oz a day, or the size of a deck of cards). Avoid simple carbohydrates (anything sweet that tastes really good and comes in a box/package/wrapper/jar), and eat fewer (if you want to lose) or the same amount of calories a day that you burn (which is a measure of what you do + your basal metabolic rate (BMR), which you can also calculate by googling for a BMR calculator).

Men:
a. At age 50, have your prostate examined and have a PSA test (blood test) done. I would recommend having your prostate checked annually, and your PSA done at least every 2 years.
b. If you’ve ever smoked, have an ultrasound of your abdomen done looking for any aneurysms of the abdominal portion of the aorta (the biggest blood vessel) at or around age 65 (no recommendations for women who’ve smoked).

Women:
a. Starting either within 3 years of the onset of sexual activity, or at age 21, a woman should be routinely screened by Pap smear for cervical cancer. Included in this test should be a test for chlamydial infection for all sexually active non-pregnant women aged 24 and younger, and older women at increased risk (multiple sexual partners). Screening should be at least every 3 years, ideally annually in patients with multiple sexual partners. If a woman has never had an abnormal Pap smear, and is not sexually active or in a monogamous relationship, having Pap smears every 2 or 3 years is probably reasonable. Women who’ve had their cervix removed (typical with hysterectomies) for non-cancerous reasons, or over the age of 65 and are not at high risk do not need regular Pap smear screening. Again, remember that screening is looking for disease when the patient has no symptoms. Get evaluated if you have any concerning symptoms.
b. Gardisil, the vaccine for HPV, or human papilloma virus, the virus which is strongly linked with cervical cancer, is approved to be administered between the ages of 9-26. It provides immunity to the sub-types of the virus most commonly linked to vaginal, vulvar and cervical cancer. I would strongly recommended for all women at whatever age you feel appropriate, but before the age of 16 (don’t assume your children are not sexually active–it’s like not having your kids wear their seat belts because you assume they won’t drive in such a way as to get into a car accident.)
c. When you’re pregnant, you should be screened, at least once, for iron deficiency anemia. Routine screening at other times is not recommended.
d. If you’re of childbearing age, and especially if you’re trying to get pregnant, you should take some form of folic acid supplementation daily.
e. I would only recommend hormone replacement for women experiencing intolerable side effects from menopause, and only for a maximum of 4 years. Taking it beyond that has been shown in a large study to slightly, but statistically significantly increase the risk for certain forms of cancer and heart disease.
f. At age 65, women should be screened every 2 years for osteoporosis. This involves a bone density test, or an x-ray of the hip and low back. There are some clinics who offer quick screens with x-rays of other areas, but these aren’t as accurate. Ideally, having it done with the same equipment and personnel reading the test is ideal, because they can more accurately compare it with prior studies. If you have osteopenia or osteoporosis, I would recommend continued supplementation with vitamin D and calcium (as discussed above) as well as starting a bisphosphonate medication such as Fosamax or Boniva. Your doctor can offer you further guidance on which medication is best for you.
g. Mammography, specific x-rays looking for breast cancer, should be done every 1-2 years for women aged 40 and older. Self breast exams should be done monthly, feeling for any masses that weren’t there previously, changes in size, color, any skin dimpling, discharge, or any masses in the armpits. Your doctor will also usually do this as a part of the well woman exam. Because the risk of breast cancer, unlike cervical cancer, increases with age, there is no age when it’s appropriate to stop checking.

There are many other things that you should be seen for, but the above is a pretty thorough discussion, in my mind, of the things you should be doing in the absence of any specific symptoms. Briefly, I thought about some of the common diseases that I see, and what you should be mindful for to suspect one of these conditions, and have it checked out.

a. Anemia: low blood count, happens mostly in women because they lose blood with their menses (called iron deficiency). Makes you feel fatigued, possibly short of breath or dizzy. You might appear pale. Your doctor can do a quick blood test to check this. Other causes besides blood loss include things like vitamin B12 or folate deficiency, chronic diseases like renal disease or diabetes, problems with your gut being able to absorb nutrients properly, or genetic diseases like thalassemia or sickle cell. These can all be diagnosed by lab tests, and mostly treated pretty easily.

b. Hypothyroidism: for some reason, the thyroid (gland on the front of your neck, just below the Adam’s apple) won’t secrete thyroid hormone. Many women develop an autoimmune problem (body attacks parts of itself) after pregnancies, can happen in thryoid cancer. Symptoms include weight gain, sluggishness, fatigue, constipation, dry skin, hoarseness, cold intolerance, loss of eyebrows, big tongue, swelling. Can be diagnosed with a blood test, and easily treated with synthetic replacement of the hormone.

c. Knee arthritis: comes often with age. Usually pain is better in the morning after sleep, worse with increased weight bearing activity, pain is diffuse over the knee, but may seem right behind the kneecap. X-rays can help with the diagnosis, but people with normal x-rays can still have arthritis. No cure, but can be alleviated with pain medications like Motrin, Alleve, Tylenol, can often improve with regular strengthen exercises of the thighs and hips, as well as weight loss (for every pound lost, there is 3 pounds per square inch of pressure reduced).

d. Sore throat, cough, headaches, feel cruddy: most often a rhinovirus, like the common cold. The vast majority are viral. If I were asked how I tell the difference between cold and flu, I’d say that people with flu most often have much more profound body aches and fevers, and look much sicker than people with colds. Not perfect, but usually the case. Get your flu shot every year, and if you start having symptoms, take a zinc tablet daily. It has been shown to reduce the severity and duration of symptoms in some studies. You can get zinc lozenges at most drug stores. If the symptoms are more profound, and you suspect flu, check with your doctor. Antivirals like tamiflu, if started within 24-72 hours after the onset of symptoms will reduce the duration and severity of the illness.

e. Fever blisters: caused by the herpes virus. Once you have it, you have it forever. Usually brought on by cold temperatures, sickness, stress. Most often found on mucosal surfaces like the mouth, nose, private parts. People often know they’re coming because they feel a unique burning sensation prior to the appearance of the blisters. I recommend that you go to your doctor; if you start the antivirals like Valtrex early, it will reduce duration and severity. When I have a patient I know, I will give them enough medication to treat it 3 or 4 times, so that they can start right away and not have to wait to get an appointment. Ask your doctor if he/she will do it for you.

f. Kids with ear pain/fever: the majority of ear pain is not caused by a bacteria, so antibiotics won’t help. In fact, a few recent studies have shown that many of the bacterial ear infections will resolve without antibiotics as well. Often starting early with decongestants (pseudoephedrine, Afrin) will help to open clogged Eustachian tubes to allow the infection to drain out. I find Alleve to be awesome for the headaches and inflammation of the sinuses and ears as well (or motrin with younger kids), but you have to take these medicines as prescribed, on schedule, for atleast 4-5 days (limit the Afrin to 4 days, or it starts having the opposite effect, and make things worse). If your child is having bad, constant ear pain that doesn’t improve with the above, it’s worth having them see the doctor, as the pain might be because the ear drum is bulging and in danger of rupturing. Though doctors don’t do it often, I know that ENT surgeons, many pediatricians, and some Family medicine doctors know how to poke a hole in the ear drum to allow it to drain, rather than have it rupture and make a bigger hole. I’d probably have an ENT do it, just because they’re going to have all the right equipment to do it safely and easily (in most cases you’d have to sedate the child). Also, if you do end up going to the doctor, ask him for some ear drops that will numb the ears–makes the kid much more comfortable.

g. Headaches: most headaches aren’t a problem–they may stink, but you won’t die from them. Things to worry about: “worst headache of your life.” Headache after some trauma or whipping of your head (probably still just a concussion, but should be evaluated by a doctor); headache with eyeball pain (and I mean specifically the eyeball hurts); headache with vomiting with no known cause (like an illness); progressively worsening headaches; severe headaches that start “like a thunderclap”, in other words, very sudden onset of a very severe headache; headaches with fever, neck stiffness/pain, and confusion; headaches with any disabilities like blurred or double vision, forgetfulness, muscle weakness or new limp; headaches with unexplained weight loss or loss of appetite. Many of these things still have very benign reasons, but they could represent bleeds, infections, tumors, and those bad things need to be ruled out.

Bodo, I just PMed you, but I wanted to thank you so much again for this list. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :notworthy: Love your icon, too. :smiley:

Very welcome. Hope it is helpful.

I still have a flyer from the place where I had a comprehensive (sorry, they call it “executive”) health check done a while ago. It is not in Taipei, but in Taoyuan (the town near the International Airport) which is still quite convenient.
The price they charge there for a “Female” is NT 17500 (NT 16000 for “Male”). The service is very good , they have English speaking staff, and it’s all done on one floor (I guess that it is the same for women).

Oh yes…here is the name of the place:
Min-Sheng General Hospital

168 Ching-Kuo Road

Taoyuan
03/ 317 9599 ext 2080 (that’s the extension for the English speaking staff).

The check up center is on the 21st floor of the hospital, so you also get a bird’s view of “beautiful” Taoyuan.