Thrived vs. throve

Which sounds right to you as the past tense of ‘to thrive’?

1. throve
    1. thrived
    1. both

0 voters

Please switch to the prosilver interface (User Control Panel --> Board Preferences --> prosilver) or ubuntu if you wish to vote. You can easily switch back if you don’t like prosilver.

Which of these seems right to you for the past tense of ‘thrive’?

1. throve
  2. thrived
  3. both

For clarity, in choosing your poll option, please note:
I’m not asking which you use (although feel free to discuss that).
I’m not asking which is correct according to a dictionary.
I AM asking which sounds or looks right. To you. Gut feeling.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Thrived.

I can’t remember having heard “throve.”

Ditto, and according to the search function, it has never, ever been used on this board. But it’s in the dictionary as an alternative, and I’ve got this scholar using it in his writing. I want to tell him it’s obsolete, but before doing that, it’s instructive to check with native speakers from around the globe to get a better sense of whether it has any continued usage today.

thriven

I checked the Collins Cobuild Concordance Sampler and there was nothing for throve:

Query Error: One slot contains no attested words or tags

collins.co.uk/corpus/CorpusSearch.aspx

Never heard of throve either but the net has sth. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/throve.

Thrived.

But I’d quite possibly stop myself mid-sentence and say something like “was thriving” or “was doing well”.

(I tried to vote, but got an error message, so I’m not sure if that was counted or not in the poll.)

Did you see the first line in the OP?
[color=#BF4000]Please switch to the prosilver interface[/color] (User Control Panel → Board Preferences → prosilver) or ubuntu [color=#BF4000]if you wish to vote[/color]. You can easily switch back if you don’t like prosilver.

:wink:

ated

Throve.
“I throve to work in my new Toyota” sounds better than “I thrived to work in my blue van”.

Oops. :doh: Saw it, but ignored it because I assumed it was some kind of error message in your own post. I guess I saw the unknown-to-me word “prosilver” and then switched off.

Thrived. I know throve exists but I’ve read almost seven books and several magazines in my time and have NEVER. EVER. seen it in print.
Tell him to use thrived. If he complains, tell him to use whatever the fuck he wants and that you’re just advising him, nothing more. That it’s not YOUR name on the paper and it’s not YOU who’ll be a laughing stock.

Have/Has throve/throven

Has thrived on…

Has thriven on/upon…

“Dove” is equally grating

It’s not as if he’s insisting. I just wanted to know the extent to which others agree that the term is obsolete or rare. :bow:

Dove is normal, though. Perhaps it’s a regional thing?

How is that pronounced, anyway? I’ve never done heard it spoke. Is it like “I duv straight into that big hairy muff”? Like a pigeon? Or “I doave into etc.”? Like the light Italian white wine that’s ideal on a hot summer’s day?
Damn, but them Yanquis sure are FOREIGNERS!

It’s not as if he’s insisting. I just wanted to know the extent to which others agree that the term is obsolete or rare. :bow:[/quote]
I feel your pain. I have a stupid bitch who uses “opined” in practically every damn story she writes. “Well, its in the DICTIONARY!” :laughing:

It rhymes with knove.

Hey! I use that word a lot! I really like it.:bluemad: Makes me sound like I have an opineion.