Time to visit gov offices and banks and telcos

I’m thinking of waging a little campaign on some government offices and banks etc. I was chatting with Mattiau and wrote this…

I think when I go to DBS and HSBC I will bring along my laptop… let them tell me not welcome then take their name and have them watch as I type out the FSC complaint in front of them not only complaining about the branch but the actual person I am dealing with. Also was thinking to go to NIA with a foreign passport see if I can get tax ID number lol

Mattiau things that is so sadistic but he likes it. Can’t wait to see the reactions from people when I show them I am actually writing a complaint right then and there. I will ask them can I open multiple accounts using different names in different passports…

Not only that record everything on camera and only speak to foreign run bank staff in English.

13 Likes

Do you have specific grievances with those banks?

Livestream this please.

12 Likes

Yeah nice one. Record it.

6 Likes

Mattiau?

3 Likes

I will have. DBS security guard even refused to let Mattiau into the branch where the CEO had made a meeting for him. I will walk up in my casual flips flops shorts t shirt and unshaven for a few weeks and see if I can gain entry. HSBC Taichung turned me away for an appointment when they were the ones who called me to come to open an account.

4 Likes

Nah just record and put on you tube or vimeo

3 Likes

well, I wasn’t with a tailcoat at my wedding, but I did wear a morning suit with top hat, and my vest light grey haha.

2 Likes

he actually didn’t refuse me entry, once I was in (and before the CEO brokered the meeting) he tried profusely to convince me to leave.

2 Likes

Why?

I once tried to open an account with HSBC Taiwan and they tried everything in their power during the sales pitch and application process to convince me that they are not for me, but they at least let me sit down with someone.

I don’t see why they wouldn’t even let you sit down with anyone though.

Citi in Kaohsiung did the same in 2012. Actually said to me, you can’t open an account here because you can’t read Chinese. I complained to head office and they told the branch to open the account but by that time I’d gone elsewhere

2 Likes

FWIW I can confirm @Mataiou is always well-dressed.

6 Likes

Not always, I had a meeting with a bank’s number 2 in jeans and polo shirt and sneakers (last minute, wasn’t meant to be).

But I try based on the circumstances.

Would never go to meet a group of Chinese laoban in full suit, need to apply the “commie honesty” principle and dress “down” laoban style.

11 Likes

I’m going to do so well here…! :joy:

Here in Taiwan quite different. They don’t care too much about style, even am ugly suit not fitting with improbable colour combinations will do, something that in HK/UK/continental southern Europe would basically already kill whatever before even starting.

2 Likes

I always thought suits are needed or something, maybe they don’t care about the style or brand of suit, just that you’re not wearing a wife beaters and those blue white sandal.

In China not really, actually in many environments wearing fancy is seeing as a bad thing, that you got rich on someone else’s back, so dressing “humbly” is recommended (especially in many not formal government/para-government or party settings)

2 Likes

So does that mean I can show up to a job interview in china wearing t shirts and blue white sandal (or whatever the official party sandal is, probably not blue, maybe red)?

Maybe red white sandal? They got those here too.

1 Like

nope, polo t-shirt tucked in long simil-dress pants and normal dress shoes would work, with a fancy belt with a big recognisable brand possibly.

that’s laoban style.

open footwear is a no-no, that’s for peasants or beggars in China.

But that is when you are in a position of not being a subject/dependent to the laoban (so for employees, dress is still the way to go, but during hot summer months short sleeve white shirts can do, however better to keep the tie).

Small potatoes still need to dress formally.

2 Likes

Not until you become laoban. You have to earn the right to dress down.

4 Likes