Tips to save money as expat in TW?

Actually, I do like the beef noodle. Well, kind of. It might just be the only Taiwanese dish I’d expect to probably enjoy if – gun to my head – I’m forced to seek out a Taiwanese restaurant outside of Taiwan. I used to have it, and generally enjoy it (with some exceptions), quite often when I first came here. That said, I haven’t had it for maybe 2 years now despite living here, so I can’t miss it that much.

Yeah, fine, I’ll admit it. Danbings are okay once in a while for low-quality breakfast grease. I’ve even had some quite nice ones. I can’t imagine I’d miss them immensely after leaving Taiwan, but they’re okay.

I feel like I’ve had most of these at least once, or something very similar, either here or in China. Some of them were probably fine, I imagine, and some of them probably ended up in the bin after one or two bites. None of them were remarkable enough that I bothered trying to remember the name.

It’s just fried chicken, yeah? Okay, fine. But, I mean, it’s fried chicken…

Meh. I went for rechao with some foreign and Taiwanese friends tonight actually. We perhaps ordered at least 20-25 dishes, I assume a fairly representative selection, and a couple of them were reasonably pleasant IMO. Nothing to write home about or seek out, but okay. Several more were edible or borderline edible, some others not my thing, and a couple I sent straight across to the opposite side of the table (generally because they were seafood, but that’s a personal thing of course). Rechao is fine once in a while, but more for the social aspect with friends rather than the food tbh. It’s definitely cheap though.

Isn’t that from Sichuan?

1 Like