Tips to save money as expat in TW?

Linkou or Danshui probably.

1 Like

a gym costs 50 bucks per visit nowadays?

The gym at Xinzhuang baseball stadium park has a gym that (at least 3 years ago) was 50 NT for entry.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never paid for a bicycle in Taiwan, and Iā€™ve had many. Due to Taiwanese unfamiliarity with basic maintenance they can be salvaged with an oil can and a bicycle pump all de live long day, especially on campuses.

Some risk of prosecution for theft tho.

No kidding.

4 Likes

Yeh, I was aware of that ā€œThe law is an arseā€ sad story. Those bikes are uniquely identifiable though which increases the risk, so I wouldnā€™t touch them, tho I do like the Sturmey-Archer style gears.

I donā€™t usually bother with derailleur geared bikes because by the time they,ve been neglected long enough for me to square harvesting them with my conscience, they take too much effort to rehab.

Some old people take shower for free at public gyms, the bathroom is outside.
They also take the trash to the parks to save some pennies.

Thatā€™s a big risk you are running.

1 Like

Bad timing, mate. I had a big scare today because I got out of class at NTU and my bike wasnā€™t where I left it (in the bike parking area). Thankfully, a friend saw it on the bike tolling website of the university, so Iā€™ll be able to get it back tomorrow. :pensive:

1 Like

I suppose so, though Iā€™ve been running it for something like 15 years so I suppose Iā€™m used to it.

Depends what you mean by ā€œbig riskā€. The upside of a free bicycle is small compared to the downside of a criminal conviction, but waste annoys me, so avoiding with a victimless crime it is a collateral benefit, and the probabibility of a criminal conviction seems to be small.

Whatā€™s a ā€œbike tolling websiteā€ā€¦?

Sorry, I meant ā€œtowingā€

The south definitely feels significantly dryer to me, especially when itā€™s not summer.

Northern Taiwan is subtropical (think Florida panhandle) while the south is tropical (think Miami).

Iā€™m thinking . . . that not all of us are Americans.

You could test your readership by inverting your claim:

The Florida panhandle is subtropical (think northern Taiwan). :grin:

Guy

1 Like

Haha :laughing:

I was responding to @TaipAmy, who ā€” if I recall correctly ā€” is American.

1 Like

The south feels drier as the air temperature is higher.

And not as much rain?

I believe the rain fall total is similar but the south has shorter heavier rainfall and the north has longer lighter rainfall. Itā€™s actually the East coast that gets the highest rainfall. And from my feelings the east seems less humid. Maybe the wind ?

Iā€™d become an Instagram influencer so that I can eat for free in restaurants. Since I donā€™t have a lot of imagination I would ask in forums for the material I would publish in my Instagram.

5 Likes