Tips to save money as expat in TW?

A true democracy and you’re the dancing monkey. Bonus.

Marry a Taiwanese.

1 Like

@Taiwan_Luthiers might beg to differ

2 Likes

Need to be certain it is an abandoned bike with owner not gonna claim it back.
Had a school acquaintance getting called out in public because doing exactly that.
He avoid more punishment/embarrassment/actual fine by claiming cultural misunderstanding.
Outside school, you could face with more severe fine as the o-bike case.
Remember, cctv are everywhere and you will be stand out when you are not Chinese-looking.

1 Like

This actually true.
Claiming tax as a couple is cheaper than claiming tax individually separately.

1 Like

Yes. this is true.

You could also just have more kids (dependents).

Thailand is still cheaper than Taiwan for local eats, accommodation also cheaper in general, but plenty of stuff equals Taiwan now in price. They charge foreigners more to do a lot of touristy things there, sometimes 8x the price.

Fuel is actually more expensive. If one can avoid taxes may be handy, schooling cost would be a lot higher for our family.

Basically the difference isn’t very big , it depends on your lifestyle.

2 Likes

And exponentially better food, for those who enjoy flavors and textures

If you work there you might be able to get around it. Showing your employee card, speaking the language a bit, having local girlfriends argue on your behalf, having local buddies say that you’re mixed Thai or you’re a close personal friend, these all worked for me there. I paid the tourist price when I first arrived, only

Yeah, my jobs were all tax free. Most Thais don’t pay income tax (I did occasionally have to pay officals “directly” for certain “services”)

Very true

1 Like

It is stretching things a bit to call those girls “officials”.

9 Likes

Oh there’s plenty of textures in Taiwanese food. Just a matter of whether or not you like those textures.

2 Likes

Good points above.
This is where we diverge though.
I couldn’t wait to get back to Taiwan and eat Taiwanese, Chinese and other Asian food. I find far more diversity here and the spice gets to me after a while. Also their coffee isn’t so great in general. And beer , you got your choice of the big 3 generally.
A lot of night markets in Thailand which are fun.
I did find some quality sushi too.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s one of the flavors which doesn’t have wide appeal. I like it

Is this like having 40 words for snow? Different variations of soggy? Soggy is a texture, definitely. I suppose the rice isn’t soggy (except when it is)

1 Like

I like spice. I just dont want it all the time.
And a lot of restaurants in touristy areas make ‘foreigner versions’ of Thai food which are horrible, dumping ketchup into pad thai was the worst. That doesn’t happen in Taiwan.
Anyway, horses for courses. it’s a great option in Asia.

3 Likes

Again, having a bit of the local language helps. Learning how to say “not too spicy” in Thai is useful when you’re not in the mood

Can’t argue with that!

1 Like

I was thinking more gelatinous, crispy, chewy, tender running out of words to describe texture.

Some of the more popular food among locals are gelatinous which is not the most acceptable texture for western palates.

4 Likes

I see what you did there :grin:

1 Like

they were in uniform

3 Likes

you mean textures like :foam, rubber bands, erasers and gelatin ?

1 Like

There are only two: QQ and 不Q

1 Like

What is the price range for schools there, I assume international school of some sort, eother English or Chinese.