Tired of living in this s***hole

You need to find a chick with dough who isn’t jelly-boned and looking for a daddy replacement. Get all the travel and futzing around out of your system for the next 10 years with her, then Taiwan will look a lot better.

1 Like

Just on the health point that tando mentioned. Vietnam’s food scandals make Taiwan’s look like a bunch of fuss about nothing. Last one I read was some backyard operation using recycled batteries to make a fake coffee mixture.

3 Likes

I like cold weather. It’s too freaking warm here.

3 Likes

Taiwan is not very welcoming to foreigners, but I do not like foreigners, so perhaps that is a good thing. Also, banking is shit. And finding a decent job can be very hard. But yeah, otherwise living here is great if you have an “in” to Taiwanese society. If you do not I guess it can be super lonely.

In Taiwan you can just kind of live on the side of society and never get too involved and not too many people will bother you (in comparison to other countries).

10 Likes

Banks in taiwan don’t charge fees to keep your money there, banks in the west often do this, in fact their other fees like ATM fees, etc are outrageous compared to taiwan.

About the warm weather… They said it was supposed to rain today and be cold, instead it’s warm and sunny.

1 Like

Yeah, you have a point there. I am still paying every month to keep a foreign bank account. What a rip off.

2 Likes

It will never leave my system apparently.

3 Likes

Move up into the mountains

1 Like

Then he’ll just start bitching about the flooding, landslides, etc. etc. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Cheap real estate outside of London by Vancouver Island standards, free drugs for me cuz I have a precondition, gov paid majority of last energy bill with the 400£ universal handout. Food inflation not as bad as Canada (where I paid 15 dollars at thrifty’s in summer for a small greek salad)

1 Like

Why did you make the choice to pay 15 dollars for a small Greek salad and then complain about it?

Cuz it wasn’t my cash—Bank of Mom

3 Likes

Was it good?

I think I read somewhere on this site that Taiwan is like a Kymco scooter. It’s not the fanciest machine but it gets things done—and just when you thought you knew what was going on, it’s become a Gogoro.

In short, a smallish country with some obvious flaws that still punches above its weight, and which may yet surprise you.

Guy

7 Likes

I find Canadian supermarkets to be very average with the exception of the Asian centric supermarkets such as T&T or Fairways. I also hate the prices associated with the supply managed sectors of dairy, eggs and chicken. Much prefer Sainsburys or M&S in UK.

That being said, Thrifty’s gets top grade for its fruit, 20 types of Kombucha, and great local offerings. The Salad was pretty good.

1 Like

Waitrose is best, IMO.

2 Likes

Don’t disagree but often choose based on what is down the lane. I remember having my best French friend from Lot visiting and being shocked at the food diversity and vast selection in the UK supermarkets…really was a reality check to his culinary prejudices.

It’s certainly improved a lot. I’d still put French supermarkets in a different league, though. I was in England and France this summer and the produce in, I presume, mid-range French supermarkets was something else.

To me the local French street markets obviously are world class, especially in the Dordogne (truffles, duck, veggies, etc). Chains very average though although seafood above average.

1 Like

Average compared to mid-range British supermarkets? I’ve never experienced that.