TIRED of reading this adoption threads on forumosa

:fume:
Hi, let me explain myself. I love animals. All animals. It has been 12 years that I live far from home. We always had dogs, cats, birds etc… At home. And now I would like one but I won’t unless completely settled.
So for all future pets owners.
A dog live now between 15 and 20 years. Cats almost the same. So if you can’t afford a dog or a cat (20 years of luv, attention, care) … FUC…G STOP getting them to post after here, " I really can’t keep my dog, blablabla… Looking for a good owner ) " or other s…t u love to write.
PLEASE JUST STOP OR MAN UP.
Your dog or cat WILL be put to sleep. SIMPLE.
Stop finding excuses for you being soooo SELFISH
:fume:

I know what you mean. I’ve seen so many people come and go on this island ‘adopting’ then abandoning pets.

I have a frog I’ve been a reticent carer of for about 7 years. I would never have known a frog could live so long.

All because a silly Frenchman who came to Taiwan at taxpayers expense to enhance artistic relationships decided he couldn’t survive 3 months without a pet.

Purchased then abandoned his frog to an American friend who then had to go home for a few months, abandoning the frog to me.

It only eats live animals smaller than itself, so I have to source other animals to sacrifice to the yellow frog.

7 years of finding mice, baby rats, goldfish, eels.

My pet peeve.

Reading these posts trying to fob off pets by people who had never an intention to take care of them for life really gets my goat. :fume:

Wowww, 7 years!!!
Wouldn’t think that It can live so many years.
Anyway, big respect man.

When in Paris . . .

I sincerely hope I don’t become one of these people. I got a pair of amazing cats last month from another foreigner who for unknown reasons had to leave Taiwan on short notice. I took them from her because it was the last day before she left the country and I didn’t want to think what would happen to them otherwise.

That said, I myself am looking at job opportunities back home and don’t know what I’ll do when the time comes. I’ve only just begun to investigate options, but as long as I can afford it I’m taking them with me, even if it breaks the bank.

Pets aren’t property; they’re little furry (or slimy) family members.

I thought most of the adoption threads on here and in the foreign community were rescues. I have rescued/fostered a half dozen kittens in this manner and rehomed them. I know there are some where the owner has decided to go home and is urgently trying to find someone to take his pet. I always shake my head with the same frustration.

My last rescue doesn’t appear to be getting rehomed. I have settled in for about 10 years so I think I might keep this one but it’s still a tough choice because if I can work it out I would like to leave on a 1+ year world tour. It’s one thing to simply make arrangements to take a pet home but traveling like that is impossible. But that issue is a long ways in the future.

Our Taiwanese immigrant cat will be 19 years old in February. Never even considered leaving him on the island.

I totally agree… I also wish people would stop abandoning their pets when they leave… !!

I have the same knee-jerk reaction. However, I don’t think the issue is so black and white.
If somebody buys a dog or cat from a pet store, then abandons them a couple months or years later because they’re no longer convenient- yes, that person deserves whatever criticism you can leverage at them.
But a lot of people obtained the pet in a different way.
So what’s better?
A) to take in an animal that desperately needs help (whether you find it on the street, in a shelter, or inherit it from an irresponsible friend who threatens to take it to the shelter if you don’t take it) and help it for six months, spaying or neutering it, giving it the required shots, then looking diligently for a home when your life takes you in a different direction.
or B) to refuse to take in any animal because it may not be “for life.”

IF the posters said, “I fostered this animal while I was here in Taiwan but must leave so no longer can take care of it.” we probably wouldn’t judge them so harshly.

To someone like brobronek, I would say- you are experienced with animals and you have the desire to have a pet. There are millions of animals in dire need on this island. Why don’t you satisfy your desire for a pet while helping an animal to have a happy life for the time you can do it? And when you know you’ll be moving on, begin early and look diligently for a home (possibly posting on forumosa).
Even if he didn’t find a home for the pet, and had to (worst case scenario) drop it off at a shelter (not something I could do after having a connection with the animal) would it be better that the animal had had a healthy, happy, fun, safe six months of life? Or is it better that an able person like Brobronek just ignores the animals in need?

That’s something brobronek has to decide for himself, and I can’t really judge him for his answer. Likewise, if someone posts on here that they need a home for their pet, that sucks, but at least they’re not leaving it at the train station or the night market or any of those places where you often see dogs looking wistfully at every passerby hoping to find their owner. These people who post here looking for a new home- yeah, shitty, but they’re a step above the abandoners- so i’d rather give them a place to post here even if they are irresponsible.

As for the abandoners, they deserve a couple of kicks to the ribs and well, possibly to be thrown off the top of a mountain. My friend and I were talking about how a good reality show to highlight the plight of abandoned pets would be to find someone who’s abandoned a dog, throw a bag over their head, drop them off at the top of a mountain, and drive away. Better if it could be done by someone they loved, trusted and depended on, but that’s beside the point. Then reality cameras would follow them as they try to make their way back to civilization. If they encountered someone and asked for help, it would be funny if the strangers kicked them or threw rocks at them.
Yeah. I’ve got some emotions pent up about how animals are treated here, but not necessarily about the people who post here looking for a new home. At least they’re doing something.

I’d just pickle the frog and quarter it. Mail a piece to the Frenchman each year on his birthday (alternatively Bastille day). Whether you do the pickling before or after a natural death is entirely up to your humanity.

Can you not release the frog to your local public park Taiwan style?

(Not recommended)

But seriously, seven bloody years! If I read it in a novel I’d say its poetic license.

My sweet lord! Feeding Kermit live goldfish for 7 years would wear me down. You’re a good person. :laughing:

I would really love to fuck up the lives of the people that abandoned two of my family’s pets. The dog has psychological problems, and the cat died young because of neglect. Weak stupid losers.

Sometimes people take strays in and help them, even though they know they can’t keep them, though. Giving them another year is better than leaving them to die, in some cases, surely? Not everyone is big enough and rich enough to take an animal for life. I never got a pet in Taiwan because I worked 12 hour days regularly, but I was sure I was there for life, until Something Happened and I had to leave. That doesn’t excuse thoughtless selfish idiots, though.

Uhmmmm

Well, I’d like to have a cat. And now that I’m developing something called common sense, I feel more like to gt a dog. But again, I just can have any pet… poor animals, all the day long at home doing nothing, seeing nobody…

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Can you not release the frog to your local public park Taiwan style?

(Not recommended)

But seriously, seven bloody years! If I read it in a novel I’d say its poetic license.[/quote]

I’ve actually intended to release it many times but didn’t have the heart to do it.

I’d lay awake at night thinking about all the dangers it would face, like snakes, dogs, cats, etc.; and then have nightmares about Taiwan being infested with voracious South American horned frogs eating everything in their path.

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”][quote=“headhonchoII”]Can you not release the frog to your local public park Taiwan style?

(Not recommended)

But seriously, seven bloody years! If I read it in a novel I’d say its poetic license.[/quote]

I’ve actually intended to release it many times but didn’t have the heart to do it.

I’d lay awake at night thinking about all the dangers it would face, like snakes, dogs, cats, etc.; and then have nightmares about Taiwan being infested with voracious South American horned frogs eating everything in their path.[/quote]

What? You mean you haven’t neutered your frog? Sooooo irresponsible. :no-no:

Oh, does it look like this?

Not so appetizing.

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”][quote=“headhonchoII”]Can you not release the frog to your local public park Taiwan style?

(Not recommended)

I’d lay awake at night thinking about all the dangers it would face, like snakes, dogs, cats, etc.; and then have nightmares about Taiwan being infested with voracious South American horned frogs eating everything in their path.[/quote]
hahah I don’t know you Charlie Phillips, and I can’t remember the flavor of any of your previous posts, but I think you’re endeared to my heart forever because of this post.
IF some day you flame me for being a feminist or accuse me of being a fat virgin, as so many others have done on forumosa.com, I’ll still look back, remember this post, and go awwwwww, Charlie Phillips, so responsible with that frog some french man foisted on him 7 years ago :yay: :yay: I just wuv him.

[quote=“jesus80”]Uhmmmm

Well, I’d like to have a cat. And now that I’m developing something called common sense, I feel more like to gt a dog. But again, I just can have any pet… poor animals, all the day long at home doing nothing, seeing nobody…[/quote]
Jesus, Jesus! Please sleep on this before you make a permanent adoption. Pets are a ton of work and it sounds like you’re thinking about it very lightly. Seriously, they’re a ton of work.

Edit: You could try a temporary foster animal first though!

If he does, at least you can accuse his frog of being a fat virgin too.

[quote=“NonTocareLeTete”][quote=“jesus80”]Uhmmmm

Well, I’d like to have a cat. And now that I’m developing something called common sense, I feel more like to gt a dog. But again, I just can have any pet… poor animals, all the day long at home doing nothing, seeing nobody…[/quote]
Jesus, Jesus! Please sleep on this before you make a permanent adoption. Pets are a ton of work and it sounds like you’re thinking about it very lightly. Seriously, they’re a ton of work.

Edit: You could try a temporary foster animal first though![/quote]

Nah… I ALWAYS wanted to have a pet. Indeed, I had a cat, Peluso, which I and my brother tortured when we were kids and grown up as a cat full of hate to humans… except in the mornings, that he was very lovely. Anyways after a few years my family decided to leave it with some relatives in my mother’s village. Damn, that was a very sad day for me. I really loved that cat, despite all the cruel things that we did to him (well, things like to put it inside a cartoon box and throw it like if it were a ball or something, etc :smiley:).

Anyway, nowadays I live in a pretty small flat. I would make that to any animal. An animal needs its space, and to see some nature now and then. If I can not offer my pet a good life, I just won’t have it. So don’t worry.

Disclaimer: hey, I was a kid when I was messing around with my cat… and I never injured it… so before anybody starts the fire please go to youtube and have some time looking at some of the videos out there…