Toilet question

Hi all,

Question about toilets in Taiwan.

Virtually all new construction comes with “pedestal” toilets (PTs) versus “squat” toilets (STs).

But I’ve seen some places in Taipei that still offer STs either exclusively or as an option (say, in a larger restroom with multiple stalls). The university I attended was an example of this.

Does anybody know if there are private residences in Taiwan with exclusively ST facilities? They don’t have to be new; I’m trying to get a feeling for (islandwide) how many families might be squatting exclusively at home. (Yes, this is actually for a paid job related to translation.) It seems like there would have to be, especially perhaps among older people hanging on to the same older houses, but somehow I never saw a ST in a private home in Taipei. Or maybe I just didn’t travel in the right circles?

What proportion would you say would be ST exclusively, just as a guesstimate?

In all my house shopping I never saw a squat toilet in a home.
When I am in public I only use ST because of how dirty the western ones are (because the girls here poo and pee on the seat). But why would I need to squat at home?

I think I’ve encountered two squatters but can’t remember the details (I was buzzing on green tea at the time). They seem to be pretty uncommon. I have a class on Monday; I’ll ask my students. Perhaps other forumosan teachers can do likewise.
As has been said, the interesting thing about toilets in Taiwan is that the women often use western toilets as squatters (and not just with public toilets).

My girlfriend’s house in Dasi has a squat-style toilet. Her house is 100+ years old though, and I am guessing the toilet was part of “make shift” renovation in the 50’s or 60’s…

[quote=“SuchAFob”]In all my house shopping I never saw a squat toilet in a home.
When I am in public I only use ST because of how dirty the western ones are (because the girls here poo and pee on the seat). But why would I need to squat at home?[/quote]
The very fact they poo and pee on the seat makes me think there must still be a lot of people for whom pedestal toilets are a rarity. When I taught at Kojen there were a fair number of kids who didn’t seem to know how to use the Western-style toilets. I could hear their grannies and moms explaining sometimes. So I guess they must have had squat toilets at home.

I’ve been here for over 6 years now and I’ve done quite a lot of ‘house shopping’ in the northern part of the island. I’ve never encountered the ST phenomenon in any of the houses and flats, both new and old, I’ve seen.

Maybe squatting is a southern thing? :smiling_imp:

Well, I’ve never seen a squaty at home, but my Taiwanese worse half insisted that he always squatted growing up. His grandparent’s home did not have a squatty. His parent’s house did not have a squaty. So, I was a little confused. He did say that the toilets in the schools are squaty type, and I’ve encounterd them in schools in Taiwan. My husband, however, squats no matter. He just climbs onto the seat and squats on the western style things. He was always very private about his bathroom time, so I didn’t find this out until he fell off one day. Hope that wasn’t too much information for you!

Now that could explain why the girls poo and pee on the seat…

Now that could explain why the girls poo and pee on the seat…[/quote]

I’ve rarely encountered poo or pee on the seats in men’s public toilets here. My main complaint is with those who don’t flush after use… :puke:

I find the squat toilets in public places here absoluetly discusting. Smelly, dirty, wet, splotches everywhere… :s

I’m sure you don’t want to hear the details before breakfast.

I almost never use public toilets anyway, but on the odd occasion that I have to, I avoid the squat things at all cost.

They’re building another stick of soul-less cement boxes up the road from here, two or three hundred four-floor tou tien units, so I stopped in after the work day was over to see what type of facilities were being installed… not a squatter to be found, and this is the deep South.
My house, my brother inlaw’s house across the street, and Ma’s house all have sitters installed, though I doubt anyone actually sits.

[quote=“Salvatore Armani”]They’re building another stick of soul-less cement boxes up the road from here, two or three hundred four-floor tou tien units, so I stopped in after the work day was over to see what type of facilities were being installed… not a squatter to be found, and this is the deep South.
My house, my brother inlaw’s house across the street, and Ma’s house all have sitters installed, though I doubt anyone actually sits.[/quote]

nobody knows you are supposed to SIT on them yet

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“Salvatore Armani”]They’re building another stick of soul-less cement boxes up the road from here, two or three hundred four-floor tou tien units, so I stopped in after the work day was over to see what type of facilities were being installed… not a squatter to be found, and this is the deep South.
My house, my brother inlaw’s house across the street, and Ma’s house all have sitters installed, though I doubt anyone actually sits.[/quote]

nobody knows you are supposed to SIT on them yet[/quote]

Yeah, when you’re squatting up high like that it’s easier to spy on your neighbors :sunglasses:

What I don’t like about squatters is that as a woman, I’m supposed to hold my pants up from the floor so they don’t get dipped in the pee on them, hold them down enough and in the right position so that I don’t do my own business on them, and squat all at the same time. It would be plausible if not for the pee puddles on the floor because the other two aren’t so hard together, but the third thing just makes it impossible.

Try doing it nine months pregnant with a toddler pulling on you!

So how did you get out when you inevitably fell in due to that situation?

Regarding public toilets, whether squatty potties or sit-down types, I wish everyone would heed the following maxim when throwing the toilet paper into the bin:

“The brown side goes DOWN”! :fume:

In a somewhat related topic, I visited a house in Taoyuan which had a men’s urinal right there on the wall in the bathroom. My next house is so going to have a men’s urinal!

I would have paid to see that happen … is he still squatting?

One foot in the pot, messed up with poo … :slight_smile:

Yes, some have it in private houses … my BIL had it in his previous house … but it needs a little more floor cleaning as it drizzles around the rim …