Tommy gets stopped by the Poh Poh

Have been invited back to work for a few months. Kinda liking it and kinda not since the special 2400/month additional support for people who lost their jobs has just been extended to Jan 2021 I hear. But i am an essential worker and i’m a workin like a dog. And I have a long ass commute. And if i refuse work i likely will not be continuing to get the unemployment so hence i work, but work is a 4 letter word sometimes.

So lack of sleep (three cats) and long work days make one tired as shit. And I think I am microsleeping. which is very dangerous.

So the other day near midnight i am on my way home and i am fighting off sleeping behind the wheel and noticing that I am not keeping in my lane as well as i usually do so i slow down to about 55 to 60. I usually keep with the flow of traffic at about 70 to 75, which is over the limit technically but thats the flow of traffic usually.

So i got my radio blastin and goin only 55 to 60 and all of a sudden poh poh on the freeway as Im passing thru SF flash his lights at me and direct me off the fleaway onto the city streets.

I am directed to get off and turn right and left and then left and right again. I roll down the window and the cop comes up to me. I ask "what happened? " he said he had been following me for a few miles and i was swerving in and out of my lane !! Dam I said, I must have been way more tired than i thought. The cop thought i was drunk and asked if i was drinking and asked me to put both of my hands on my rolled down window and follow his finger. Which i passed. He was real nice, said i can go but to watch the driving ! I must have microslept a few seconds at a time. Dang dangerous.

Real nice cop though ! I said i felt the steering wheel was kinda funny. He said YEAH when you were running over the lines they must feel weird. Because there were these reflectors like taiwan freeways that make you know you went over the lines.

Guess im lucky i aint black , because black people dont always do so well with police stops.
Technically I could have gotten a ticket for reckless driving or some such as I left the lane without signalling. but I was just trying to stay awake.

The police check put me out of my stupor and the rest of the way home I was pretty alert.

10 Likes

Take care. Kitties and wife wait for you at home.

3 Likes

Good your safe !! Was the police wearing a mask like many here in Kaoshiung?

What race was the cop?

Congrats for surviving to drive another day Tommy. Get to bed earlier get yer sleep in.

3 Likes

I keep reading this thread title as “Tommy stepped on poo poo.”

7 Likes

Only trip to Paris (back when the dinosaurs roamed and the french franc was still in use) i stepped on doggie poopoo six times in one morning looking at all the sights. Ahh…the smell of poo in Paris in Spring…yuck.

French doggie shit smells just like doggie shit everywhere and sticks just as hard to the soles of your shoes.

Cop was white and a rookie (young feller).

no mask no fuss but fuzz still the same

If you ever got like an inch away from a freeway divider, waking up, than you know micro sleep is dangerous.

Are you a free mason? He seemed very lenient on you :wink:

Did I give a secret sign by accident ? My dad was one

1 Like

Unfortunately it has happened to me a number of times

I have once hit the side of the road and blew a tire
Or have suddenly found myself in another lane

Or have no recollection of having gone through the caldecott tunnel on my way home

One moment I’m in Oakland on 880 and suddenly I’m in Orinda having gone through the tunnel on auto pilot having no recollection of that

I have a micro sleep problem

I knew I was having trouble keeping in the lane but I thought it was due to high winds which does hit some areas of my drive home

But seriously watch it, one day you might not be so lucky and swerve one lane too far.

4 Likes

Are you not a caffeine guy?

This sounds really dangerous. Maybe you should consider commuting on BART or something. BART isn’t exactly safe either, but better than falling asleep at the wheel, right?

1 Like

Falling asleep on BART is definitely NOT safe.

The swerving in the lane, the confusion at times, the constant yawning, the waking up and being in the next lane.the non recollection of the last few minutes, are all symptoms of micro sleep…could also mean im getting senile? or what was i saying again?

im off coffee. i do drink a small cup of coke before the drive, not sure that helps or not.

1 Like

Commute too long, working too hard, not sleeping enough doing ‘bed games’!

1 Like