Too hot, too sunny, too humid ... the weather sucks 2012

As per title.

Welcome to the at least shower twice a day weather. Shower and arrive at work drenched in sweat weather. No air con in the office is cause to quit.

At least it is still breezy out there.

Never talk bad about the sun whilst on this cloudy wet island. NEVER!

Weather aint bad here in Xiamen, 100 miles away. Lots of rain, and I love that.

35c+ still coming…

[quote=“Icon”]As per title.

Welcome to the at least shower twice a day weather. Shower and arrive at work drenched in sweat weather. No air con in the office is cause to quit.

At least it is still breezy out there.[/quote]

It was more so last week.
Just you wait, Gonna get yours!
Meanwhile, enjoy the interlude.

No AC in the office… :dance: :cookie: :taz: :shocker: :grrr: :no-no:

I don’t get how so many Taiwanese can wear full suits in an office without air conditioning. Is it that they don’t feel the heat or they just don’t complain about it?

Dunno. I’m wearing shorts and low shoulder cut blouse. But I feel for my Englishee speaking colleagues: button shirts, tie and suit pants, on the sunny side of the building…

For those that have been in Taiwan for a long time (like greater than 5 years), does your body eventually adapt to the weather so that you feel less of the heat or humidity?

Am I the only one who thinks that the thermostats for the indoors in Taiwan are set too high (even in the big department stores)?

I mean that I can set the A/C in my room to 23 degrees C with no clothes and I still sweat.

The locals tell me that they are used to the weather and humidity so they don’t sweat as much.

Does the body eventually adjust to the local weather?

sorry double post due to slow uploading.

[quote=“PapaAzucar”]For those that have been in Taiwan for a long time (like greater than 5 years), does your body adapt to the weather so that you feel the heat or humidity less?

Am I the only one who thinks that the thermostats for the indoors in Taiwan are set too high (even in the big department stores)?

I mean that I can set the A/C in my room to 23 degrees C with no clothes and I still sweat.

The locals tell me that they are used to the weather and humidity so they don’t sweat as much.

Does the body eventually adjust to the local weather?[/quote]

It seems many Taiwanese are too cheap to use AC’s so they won’t use it, or if they do use it they leave it at like 28 or something. Otherwise they only use it when guests are over. So maybe because of that they are able to adapt better to the heat?

When I did my time in the military they did not have AC’s at all and I can’t sleep when its hot. I think I was able to use the AC at 26 degrees (before military I had to put it at 23 degrees), but heat really sucks even then. Cold showers help though, but I always felt like does the Taiwanese not feel the heat or they don’t complain about it?

Fan will help a lot but without AC it doesn’t do much. I’ve seen people run like 10 fans in the house when there are more people there, and I could have swore the electricity to run one AC is probably less than all the fans combined.

Ya, and last week it was too wet. Welcome to the tropics.

I’m loving this weather until it rains. I think people have their own internal temperature that they are comfortable at. I’m from MN but I have set the AC at 26-28C (28C is a little warm though) since I moved here. Below that and I need a coat.

[quote=“PapaAzucar”]For those that have been in Taiwan for a long time (like greater than 5 years), does your body eventually adapt to the weather so that you feel less of the heat or humidity?

At least in my case, with over a decade here, nope. But I come from a very cool climate. I find the heat unbearable, the humidity unpleasant, and the skin problems derived thereof a nightmare. I hate summer!!! :cry:

In the past, the ACs blasted at 17 degrees all year long. You had to carry a light sweater/jacket with you at all times to prevent catching a cold from the sudden temperature difference between indoors and outdoors. A few years back, the Gov’t -yes, those guys- started fining places that had such practices, and limited the use of ACs in public buildings. Love the Earth and all that jazz.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“PapaAzucar”]For those that have been in Taiwan for a long time (like greater than 5 years), does your body eventually adapt to the weather so that you feel less of the heat or humidity?

At least in my case, with over a decade here, nope. But I come from a very cool climate. I find the heat unbearable, the humidity unpleasant, and the skin problems derived thereof a nightmare. I hate summer!!! :cry:

In the past, the ACs blasted at 17 degrees all year long. You had to carry a light sweater/jacket with you at all times to prevent catching a cold from the sudden temperature difference between indoors and outdoors. A few years back, the Gov’t -yes, those guys- started fining places that had such practices, and limited the use of ACs in public buildings. Love the Earth and all that jazz.[/quote]

Well to be honest with you, blasting the AC at 17 degree is a huge waste of energy. The AC should be set at around 25 degrees anyways, or at least allow enough runtime given AC size/room size to remove the high humidity from the air, which is the main cause of discomfort. You can be at 28 degrees, or even 30 degrees and still feel fairly comfortable if the humidity is low enough.

Well, everyone at the office is facing the heat with less and less clothing. Now, not only the gongtusen -student assistants- are wearing shorts, minis and shorts are making their way up the ranks.

If you see a foreigner wearing a bikini and protesting in front of the Presidential Office for her right to AC, that’s gonna be me.

I agree with the new policy 100% :wink:

Having been here 7 years, it is getting easier, but light clothing is the best way to go. I haven’t had to use the aircon yet, a cool breeze from a fan is all in need at night ( I don’t live in the basin though, so that may have something to do with it.).

I do remember the the first few years being hardest. I’m actually enjoying this weather, but find it a bit chilly now it’s raining, so I guess you do adapt.

It gets a bit harder when you have kids, because they can’t take the heat and strong sunlight so easily. At the same time I guess Winter and the other seasons are pretty good, except for the short daylight hours.

Im sure you do adapt to your environment.

Why is it hotter indoors than outdoors and what can I do about it? :frowning: