Too hot, too sunny, too humid ... the weather sucks 2012

It kind of works with me. If I don’t put the air conditioning on I acclimatize pretty sharpish. Then it all unravels when I have to go somewhere where air conditioning is used.

I love this heat, by the way and I have an awesome t-shirt tan… I love the cold too. However, I’m going to start a thread this winter entitled “This drizzle and cold damp air sucks.” I expect it to be active for 7 months of the year.

Icon is currently conflicted. She really wants to go to Mitsukoshi and inject some badly needed cash into the economy, but walking around in this heat… not even a cash back, 50% off sale can entice me to go out… but I really want a new pair of sandals… rats and double rats.

Well, as to the office, the situation here has improved slightly. We are not yet comfortable but at least it’s workable. A two fan situation is manageable.

And considering the heat wave in the States, we have nothing to complain about. I don’t want to think about a power failure under these conditions -heck, my neighborhood suffered that last year and it was literally a disaster. As to the US, my favorite quote:

[quote]It was so hot (107 degrees) in Nashville, a woman baked cookies on the dashboard of her car.

[/quote]
:astonished: Creative, but cars are death traps in this heat, anyways.

news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/hea … 40314.html

[quote]More than 2,000 temperature records have been matched or broken in the past week as a brutal heat wave baked much of the United States, and June saw more than 3,200 records topped, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said Monday.

From June 25 to July 1, some 2,171 record temperatures were either broken or matched, the NOAA said. For the 30 days of June, that number rose to 3,215.

Accuweather meteorologist Alex Sosnowski said the number of records broken was very unusual. He said that while some aspects of the heat wave are unknown, much of it is because of a lack of snow cover during the late winter on America’s plains.

Instead of the sun’s heat melting snow, it instead heated the ground, which in turn warmed the air. The increase in temperature even made crops grow ahead of schedule until now; Sosnowski said the lack of rainfall has stunted crops’ growth.
[/quote]
newsmax.com/US/heat-wave-us/ … /id/444254

So, it will take a week/maybe even weeks to restore power, crops such as grains -for which teh US is the world’s basket- and the heat will continue and keep on rising… :runaway:

Just to inform you, folks: Taipei registered 37.6 degrees at noon, but the CWB warns that in the afternoon it will be hotter, so plan activities acordingly.

[quote]中央社記者汪淑芬台北9日電)台北市今天高溫持續飆升,中央氣象局最新觀測資料,中午12時28分出現攝氏37.6度,創入夏新高紀錄。

根據氣象局觀測,台北市今天上午11時46分出現36.8度;中午12時8分台北市高溫升到37.3度;12時28分再飆高到37.6度。

氣象局不排除下午氣溫仍可能破紀錄。

氣象局說,由於太平洋高壓勢力強大,全台都是晴朗炎熱天氣,台北是盆地地形,加上有都市效應,氣溫容易飆高,未來幾天氣溫隨時可能創新高。
[/quote]
tw.news.yahoo.com/高溫再飆-台北37-6度-051809903.html

honestly, I think I still prefer the sunny but hot weather, than less hot but more humid rainy weather.

You can line dry laundry in this weather and the laundry will be completely dry within hours. Yea you suffer if you work somewhere without AC but do you honestly think it’s going to be any better when it’s rainy but very humid? The high humidity more than makes up for the decrease in temperature when it comes to discomfort.

However I still prefer winter…

[quote=“Icon”]Just to inform you, folks: Taipei registered 37.6 degrees at noon, but the CWB warns that in the afternoon it will be hotter, so plan activities acordingly.

[/quote]

That’s hard to believe. I was photographing stuff outside the Legislative Yuan until about 11.30 and was quite comfortable in jeans and a bag full of camera gear. Even now at 3pm, an open window is all I need for my office to be pleasant.

And over here in the East BAy , CALIF, im hoping Wed and thursday will be 100 degrees F so I can swim in our (unheated) pool. Need to be 100 out in order to not freeze in the rather cold water.

It’s been breezy and only moderately hot here in Linkou today. I was out and about between 11 this morning and 1 this afternoon, and the reliable car thermometer showed a temperature of just 29C outside. It didn’t feel uncomfortable at all when I was walking about, even when I was carrying my daughter, and I hardly sweated at all (whereas I always sweat buckets when I’m walking about in the swelteringly humid Taipei basin in summer). It’s almost enough to make me glad that I’m living on the Linkou Plateau. If only we could transplant this plateau to Xindian, it would be the most perfect place to live.

Yes, sadly there is always a caveat when you talk about the weather in Linkou. Shame. Would be nice to have a “hill station” to retreat to in the summer. I am not looking forward to coming back though it has been over 30 most days even here in China’s north. Yesterday was a blistering 35 degrees with clear blue skies and I had to spend the day exploring cairns on the plains. Ouch.

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“Icon”]Just to inform you, folks: Taipei registered 37.6 degrees at noon, but the CWB warns that in the afternoon it will be hotter, so plan activities acordingly.

[/quote]

That’s hard to believe. I was photographing stuff outside the Legislative Yuan until about 11.30 and was quite comfortable in jeans and a bag full of camera gear. Even now at 3pm, an open window is all I need for my office to be pleasant.[/quote]

The thermometer in my car said the ambient temperature was 40, even after I drove awhile and parked in the shade. It usually reports about 2 degrees higher than weather reports, so yeah, 37.6 is about right. It was blazing hot in Donghu and Nangang. Our kitchen would have been in the low 40’s if we’d run the oven today.

Took the car out earlier in Taichung. Front windscreen too hot to touch. Just sitting in the car with the air con full blast you could still feel the heat radiating throughout. Went for a drive along the central cross highway yesterday but couldn’t do much outside, the heat was too intense for small kids.

Anyone else bring shorts and sandles to work and change into them at the end of the day, raid the water cooler for the trip home. I do.
Still need to take another shower when I get home. Worst is going to the gym… tired and then walking into a wall of humidity and heat till you get to the bus stop or where ever. Not mad but this is what it looks like: :fume:

sweating is an inconvenience, but lets be real here, the past dozen or so days of nice weather has been totally awesome.

Lets have a dry summer and fall, and if that means heat and humidity, then so be it!

More like minutes. Seriously.

Absolutely, without question!

How on earth can you prefer the Taipei winters is beyond me. I’ve already committed suicide twice.

So you are writing from beyond the grave?

Today’s high predicted over 37 degrees. Labor Ministry mulling “hot weather leave”.

Is it really necessary? Perhaps for outdoor workers but most office workers stay indoor with air conditioning so the heat only affects them when they are commuting. The labor ministry should instead concentrate their efforts on labor related violation like unpaid overtime.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE summers in Taiwan and have had enough of winter after a week or two.

TAiwan should have six months of summer and 2 months each of spring and autumn and one month of winter :slight_smile: That would be sweet.

oh wait, that makes only 11 months. I guess the other month can be optional for weather :slight_smile: How about rain ? One month of rain exactly. NOt more, not less. Just enough to fill all the reservoirs.

Is it really necessary? Perhaps for outdoor workers but most office workers stay indoor with air conditioning so the heat only affects them when they are commuting. The labor ministry should instead concentrate their efforts on labor related violation like unpaid overtime.[/quote]

Well, we already have 8 farmers dead so far, so, yes, better safe than sorry.

Is it really necessary? Perhaps for outdoor workers but most office workers stay indoor with air conditioning so the heat only affects them when they are commuting. The labor ministry should instead concentrate their efforts on labor related violation like unpaid overtime.[/quote]

Well, we already have 8 farmers dead so far, so, yes, better safe than sorry.[/quote]

Even if there is a holiday due to the hot weather, farmers aren’t going to get those days off… they work even during typhoons because they have to save the crop.