Too old?

I’m 37 and my husband is 43. We currently live in Japan, but would like to make the jump to Taiwan.

Do you think we’d have any luck finding work?
cheers!

[quote=“tealady”]I’m 37 and my husband is 43. We currently live in Japan, but would like to make the jump to Taiwan.

Do you think we’d have any luck finding work?
cheers![/quote]

It depends on your experience, but yes. You should be ok. It also depends on which market you’re into: kids or adults, and your degrees.

But if you’re gonna come, come soon. The market is replete with jobs now. But it won’t last long past Chinese New Year.

peace

and Merry Christmas :rainbow:

jds

Be prepared to be turned down because of your age. Don’t worry, you’ll find work - eventually.

Is this true? Do you know people turned down in their late 30s for work? I don’t but it may be true. I know a number of people in their 40s and even 50s who are teaching.

Is this true? Do you know people turned down in their late 30s for work? I don’t but it may be true. I know a number of people in their 40s and even 50s who are teaching.[/quote]

Yes, it is true. I’m 42, and I’ve been turned down quite a few times solely because of my age.

I’ve been told I’m too old, having sent my photo with my resume.

I’ve been invited to interview, and turned down immediately upon walking through the door.

I’ve been hired, and immediately unhired upon revealing my age.

I’ve been hired, worked for a few weeks, and then fired because of parents complaining I am too old.

This is a terrible shock, to think such a thing should happen in Taiwan, bastion of human rights that it is.

I don’t say the OP and her hubby can’t find work, but they should prepare themselves for encountering ageism. They will find work, but they shouldn’t expect to find it as quickly as a twenty-two year-old just out of university.

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]I’ve been hired, and immediately unhired upon revealing my age.

[/quote]

You should have just lied to them. If they’re going to ageist, you have the duty to lie about your age. Assholes deserve to be lied to.

thanks for the replies!
I have no problem lying about my age, hubby too. He looks 35, so he’d get away with it.
But won’t they know as soon as they check our passports?

Quite right, tealady. It’s difficult to lie about one’s age when one is required to hand over one’s passport!

Is this true? Do you know people turned down in their late 30s for work? I don’t but it may be true. I know a number of people in their 40s and even 50s who are teaching.[/quote]

It’s true.

:roflmao: STop, it hurts!

It’s true.[/quote]

How prevalent is it, though? I’m not surprised that some schools would discriminate but do you think it’s so bad that the OP would have serious troubles finding work? Or that she will simply face some discrimination, at some places? The good doctor suggests that her search will simply be more difficult than that of a 22 year old. But then a 22 year old can get a job without much of an effort at all. More difficult than ridiculously easy doesn’t really give a clear picture of the trouble the OP may face.

Not saying this to be a jerk, just trying to clarify. I haven’t been involved in teaching for many years now so I’m approaching this as someone fresh.

It’s true.[/quote]

How prevalent is it, though? I’m not surprised that some schools would discriminate but do you think it’s so bad that the OP would have serious troubles finding work? Or that she will simply face some discrimination, at some places? The good doctor suggests that her search will simply be more difficult than that of a 22 year old. But then a 22 year old can get a job without much of an effort at all. [/quote]

I vote “Not True.” When I arrived in Taiwan I was 39 years old. I had no trouble at all finding plenty of work teaching conversation classes. In fact, I suspect it was easier for me than it would have been for a 22 year old. Of course, finding work depends in part on whether one appears to be reasonably polite, clean-cut, intelligent and responsible, but that applies regardless of age.

I also think that if you look younger than you really are, then that’s what matters most, since the school only cares about what the kids/parents will think. If they think you’re younger, then no-one will care.

I wouldn’t rule out location as a factor.

Taipei is far more cosmopolitan, and therefore its residents more open-minded, than down here in the sticks.

Considering how many jobs in Taipei are currently advertised on tealit.com, they should have jobs within the first week.

Chiayi is a different story. There are few jobs available here at the moment, and I was just turned down for one (I was told by an inside source) in favour of another foreigner willing to work for 300NT per hour.
I’ve looked for three weeks, and have finally had to accept a position in Taichung. I could have found a position sooner had I looked outside of Chiayi sooner.

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”][quote=“Muzha Man”]
How prevalent is it, though? I’m not surprised that some schools would discriminate but do you think it’s so bad that the OP would have serious troubles finding work? Or that she will simply face some discrimination, at some places? The good doctor suggests that her search will simply be more difficult than that of a 22 year old. But then a 22 year old can get a job without much of an effort at all. More difficult than ridiculously easy doesn’t really give a clear picture of the trouble the OP may face.
[/quote]

Considering how many jobs in Taipei are currently advertised on tealit.com, they should have jobs within the first week.

Chiayi (Jiayi) is a different story. There are few jobs available here at the moment, and I was just turned down for one (I was told by an inside source) in favour of another foreigner willing to work for 300NT per hour.
I’ve looked for three weeks, and have finally had to accept a position in Taichung. I could have found a position sooner had I looked outside of Chiayi (Jiayi) sooner.[/quote]

Holy shit!

I wouldn’t worry about the age thing. If you have experience then you’re worth it. Sounds like you do have it from Japan.

My school (in Shulin) hired a 57 year old lady with no experience last year. She worked for 2 months and ran away because she didn’t like it. My kinda stepmother is thinking about coming here to teach and my boss says he will meet her when she does. She is 60 I think.

Little kids have a lot of respect for older people, I think. Bigger kids I don’t know.

Employers here are mostly looking for young people fresh out of university who are willing to take a lower wage for training and lack of experience. You have an upper hand in that department.

Assuming that you are teachers.

Taiwan is definitely ageist but you might have better luck in the sattellite towns of big cities. Schools there often have a hard time finding people that want to live in the vicinity and work there, too. Thios can be a good deal as the rent can be cheap as hell and the money can be OK.

That’s my 2 bucks worth. Hope it helps!
Good luck and Merry Christmas!
me

It’s true.[/quote]

How prevalent is it, though? I’m not surprised that some schools would discriminate but do you think it’s so bad that the OP would have serious troubles finding work? Or that she will simply face some discrimination, at some places? The good doctor suggests that her search will simply be more difficult than that of a 22 year old. But then a 22 year old can get a job without much of an effort at all. [/quote]

I vote “Not True.” When I arrived in Taiwan I was 39 years old. I had no trouble at all finding plenty of work teaching conversation classes. In fact, I suspect it was easier for me than it would have been for a 22 year old. Of course, finding work depends in part on whether one appears to be reasonably polite, clean-cut, intelligent and responsible, but that applies regardless of age.[/quote]

This could be true. Let me add this then…

One should look healthy and move well. If one looks sleepy at 34, then you’re not going to be that successful in finding work. That being said, I’ve seen some 22-25 year olds that seem like old men.

You’re as young as you feel. So, I need to retire now. Golf is calling. :wink:

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”][quote=“Muzha Man”]
[/quote]

Chiayi (Jiayi) is a different story. There are few jobs available here at the moment, and I was just turned down for one (I was told by an inside source) in favour of another foreigner willing to work for 300NT per hour.
I’ve looked for three weeks, and have finally had to accept a position in Taichung. I could have found a position sooner had I looked outside of Chiayi (Jiayi) sooner.[/quote]

$300NT per hour… Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, that kind of thing gets my goat :fume:

[quote=“Bassman”][quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”][quote=“Muzha Man”]
[/quote]

Chiayi (Jiayi) (Jiayi) is a different story. There are few jobs available here at the moment, and I was just turned down for one (I was told by an inside source) in favour of another foreigner willing to work for 300NT per hour.
I’ve looked for three weeks, and have finally had to accept a position in Taichung. I could have found a position sooner had I looked outside of Chiayi (Jiayi) (Jiayi) sooner.[/quote]

$300NT per hour… Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, that kind of thing gets my goat :fume:[/quote]

I would beg, steal and borrow before teaching English in Taiwan for that.

There are some Taiwanese that would just look at you funny if you offered to teach for that. There’s the enemy for teachers in Taiwan right there.