Top Gun: Maverick

Started catching up with Top Gun (yeah, sorry, it’s one of those superfamous movies I’ve never got to watch). First impression: Val Kilmer and his buddy exudes gayness.

And then I bump into this French article saying there’s a whole theory, summed up by Tarantino’s character in Sleep With Me:

1 Like

Yep, this is basically the only thing Sleep With Me is famous for.

BTW for those into Tarantino’s encyclopedic film knowledge, this interview is well worth a listen about all the films he watched in 1979. A lot of cool info I didn’t know about the classic The Deerhunter.

1 Like

He’s an unbelievable film nerd.

1 Like

‘Top Gun: Maverick’ filmed its epic climax in Lake Tahoe (sfgate.com)

must have been fun to see the filming

‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Review: Action Soars While Creativity Takes a Nosedive

Tom Cruise returns in the much-anticipated sequel that’s entertaining if lacking in originality.

The Wall Street Journal - May 26, 2022

1 Like

Turns out Tencent backed out of the financing, which meant that the flags could be put back in (WSJ no paywall link)

https://archive.ph/JIZFG

The movie has actually not been approved for release in China

4 Likes

It tells you all you need to know about the patriarchy when the public shower a scientologist freak and his new movie with praise and adoration while women like Gwyneth Paltrow gets called all sorts of names for selling expensive stuff online.

1 Like

I’m sure Cruise would get some flak too if he sold candles that smelled like his dick. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

A candle smelling like someone’s vagina is obviously more harmful than promoting a certified cult that has ruined millions of lives. I guess Gwyneth Paltrow personally holds a gun threatening everyone to buy it. :roll:

1 Like

The candle is more harmful to my nose. But is Scientology being promoted in the new Top Gun movie? I haven’t seen it, and probably won’t.

1 Like

The point is the public are always more forgiving for male celebrities than female celebrities.

And did Gwyneth Paltrow force you to buy the candle?

No mention of Scientology in the movie
There been such a dearth of good movies lately that this is the best out there by a mile

1 Like

Stop supporting the patriarchy!!! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Shoot I like Paltrow if she goes out with me for dinner I will buy her candle

2 Likes

It was a good movie, but I reckon they could have got some comedy mileage from putting the mission in a country that buys military jets from China. Apparently China hasn’t entirely mastered the knack of manufacturing turbine blades that don’t melt.

You know who else is a Scientologist? Yep, him:

You’d never know it though because unlike other members of the patriarchy he keeps it on the downlow in his work life.

2 Likes

And chef from south park . I still watch those. But to stick it to the male elite cultists ,i never pay for it :slight_smile:

A religion invented by a sci-fi writer…

Yeah I know some were as a result of dreams and then there was this guy who died on a cross

2 Likes

Tom Cruise’s star-spangled blockbuster “Top Gun: Maverick” capped off Memorial Day weekend with a box office debut for the record books. The sequel, which sees Cruise return to the cockpit after 36 years, collected $156 million in its first four days of release.

Those ticket sales were enough to overtake Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End,” which launched with $153 million over the long weekend in 2007, as the biggest Memorial Day debut in history.

In a promising sign for summer movie season, “Top Gun: Maverick” — without the help of costumed heroes or fantastical spells — landed one of the top pandemic-era openings after “Spider-Man: No Way Home” ($260 million), “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” ($187 million) and “The Batman” ($134 million).

“Maverick” also secured the biggest debut in Cruise’s 40-year career, marking his first movie to surpass $100 million in a single weekend. “War of the Worlds,” which opened to $64 million in 2005, previously stood as Cruise’s biggest opening weekend, followed by 2018’s “Mission: Impossible – Fallout” with $61 million.

As expected, nearly 55% of ticket buyers were 35 or older. But that turnout is still impressive because adult audiences have been the most reluctant to return to theaters amid the pandemic. And, the dazzling stunts in “Maverick” managed to entice a significant percentage of younger moviegoers. The film’s reception should be helpful in continuing to appeal to younger crowds.

2 Likes