Top Picks Among Recent Movies

Their phone number is 3762-2001. And click here for their website. :sunglasses:

I agree with you, Bear. I saw it yesterday, and absolutely loved it. I expected a lot from a Miramax/BBC production directed by Stephen Frears, and it was everything I’d hoped for and more. Audrey Tautou (Amelie) was lovely and totally convincing as a virginal Turkish asylum-seeker, and the other main actors were all equally brilliant. The Mercedes-driving hotel night manager who trades in human kidneys on the side was superb, and the hooker played by Sophie Okonedo was the most appealing prossie I’ve seen on the screen in ages.

Entertaining, meaningful, eye-opening, funny, dramatic, moving – it’s everything you could hope for in a film. If you’re at all a softie like me, you’ll struggle to leave the cinema dry-eyed. Go and see it while you can – there were only about a dozen people in the audience when I went, so it won’t be getting an extended run.

Tomorrow Dirty Pretty Things is on at:
1:00pm
9:15pm
and
midnight

This one doesn’t sound like it can be missed. Thanks for the reviews, guys. :smiley:

Thanks for the reviews on Pirates of the Carribean and I love it!! I think this will be consider of the great movie I saw this year. I also heard some good reviews about Dirty Pretty Things. Did anyone saw it this past weekend?? If not, I want to watch it too… let me know.

Thanks ~ MiakaW

Dirty Pretty Things is a great movie! I liked it, at least! :slight_smile:

Very good acting by a relative unknown actor, along with the cute girl from Amelie in a rather unusual role for her…with an anoying accent that she does not do well. But otherwise its a good story and the star is excellent in this role!

I saw this last night here in the States. As an afficiando of the cowboy genre, I’ll go and see any movie that portrays the historical American West. I give this movie a thumbs up for being an accurate portrayal of cowboy philosophy, gun violence, and life in general in the late 19th century American West. Duval was excellent as usual, and Kevin Costner did a fine job both acting and directing. The only downside was the obligatory sappy Kevin Costner romantic moment at the end, which smacked of a Louis L’Amour novel. I like LL novels, but take them as pure fantasy in their portrayal of romance.

“Poor Mr. Costner. He tries so hard.” – Lisa Simpson

I have to recommend the uncut DVD version of Sergio Leone’s Once Upon a Time in America. The ignorant American censors ruined the film when it was originally released in 1984. They cut it from like 220 minutes into 140. It completely butchered the movie. It has the distinction of being named one of the best and worst movies of 1984 (uncut) and (cut).

They just released the uncut version a few months ago on DVD. For those of you interesting in the mafia, I recommend this movie. I think it is better written than either The Godfather or Goodfellas. The cast (De Niro, Woods etc) is outstanding and the score (Ennio Morricone) is brilliant. Overall, the movie is a masterpiece.

PUNCH DRUNK LOVE

Besides being an eccentric and therefore likable love story, it peels away layers and layers of American filth.

Oh, and the lighting was good too.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]I have to recommend the uncut DVD version of Sergio Leone’s Once Upon a Time in America. The ignorant American censors ruined the film when it was originally released in 1984. They cut it from like 220 minutes into 140. It completely butchered the movie. It has the distinction of being named one of the best and worst movies of 1984 (uncut) and (cut).

They just released the uncut version a few months ago on DVD. For those of you interesting in the mafia, I recommend this movie. I think it is better written than either The Godfather or Goodfellas. The cast (De Niro, Woods etc) is outstanding and the score (Ennio Morricone) is brilliant. Overall, the movie is a masterpiece.[/quote]
Couldn’t agree more – I watched it almost three times back to back on the moon festival holiday. The special features are also well worth watching.

[quote=“Alleycat”]PUNCH DRUNK LOVE

Besides being an eccentric and therefore likable love story, it peels away layers and layers of American filth.

Oh, and the lighting was good too.[/quote]
And weren’t you pleasantly surprised to see that Sandler can actually act?

[quote] have to recommend the uncut DVD version of Sergio Leone’s Once Upon a Time in America. The ignorant American censors ruined the film when it was originally released in 1984. They cut it from like 220 minutes into 140. It completely butchered the movie. It has the distinction of being named one of the best and worst movies of 1984 (uncut) and (cut).

They just released the uncut version a few months ago on DVD. For those of you interesting in the mafia, I recommend this movie. I think it is better written than either The Godfather or Goodfellas. The cast (De Niro, Woods etc) is outstanding and the score (Ennio Morricone) is brilliant. Overall, the movie is a masterpiece.
[/quote]

Worth a look, but way too long, too sentimental and indulgant.

Brian

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Alleycat”]PUNCH DRUNK LOVE

Oh, and the lighting was good too.[/quote]
And weren’t you pleasantly surprised to see that Sandler can actually act?[/quote]

Absolutely. And even though Emily Watson is becoming so dowdy she’ll soon look like Miss Marple she still does it for me with those eyes.

Remember her in BREAKING THE WAVES?

Saw The Italian Job yesterday and I personally think it is a great movie. Both Mark Wahlberg & Charlize Theron did a great job in this movie. In addition, Edward Norton did a fabulous job once again as Steve. If you seen his other movie - Primal Fear, then you will know how good he is!! Caught a boo-boo at the end but that didn’t destoryed the movie AT ALL!!

Charlize Theron is YUMMY according to my movie buddy!! Haha, not that I disagree or anything?! :wink:

What a coincidence, I also saw this movie yesterday! :wink: :smiley:

I agree, the movie was highly entertaining. I had seen the original but can hardly recall it (though I do remember it was good) and as such I viewed yesterdays “Italian Job” as a ‘different’ movie and not as a remake. As MiakaW says even Marky Mark did a decent job and Charlize is yummy indeed.
There is no dull moment in the movie, the story just flows and all the leads did a great job, with a few laughs thrown in (the real Napster anyone?).

Highly recommended: * * * * out of 5

I saw Lilya 4-ever (

GIGLI

‘A special badness all its own’

htttp://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,4120,1012688,00.html

All restraint was thrown to the winds this past week as American film critics gave the Ben Affleck-Jennifer Lopez vehicle Gigli a quite unprecendented savaging. Here’s a taste of their bile …

Stephen Hunter in the Washington Post

“Ben and Jen? After seeing Gigli, I think Ben and Jerry could make a better movie. Gigli is certainly bereft of low pleasures: it’s both giggle-free and jiggle-free. Worse, it’s enervated, torpid, slack, dreary and, oh yes, nasty, brutish and long.”

That’s funny. And from the WP to boot.

Let’s hope YOUNG ADAM makes its way to our shores.

film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/C … 52,00.html

Lilya 4-ever is available on DVD and I concur with Omni’s opinion. I can’t actually remember if the DVD has English subtitles or not, but I had no trouble keeping up with what was going on. It is not a pretty story and is very disturbing and bleak, but extremely well executed, I think.

wanna go see it, wondering if it’s good? Have you seen it? What did you think?