Toronto van attack

Does that make one white? Are Azerbaijanis white?

Not that again… :roll_eyes:

For the record, within ~5h of the incident Fox News had a fellow from the NRA saying obviously it was mental illness, and this proves gun control is bad because no-one’s going to suggest car control. (1, Car control has been a thing for a long time – it’s called licensing and compulsory insurance. 2, There is a kind of “no drive list” in the UK in the tradition of no fly lists, but so far only for vehicle rental outlets. 3, He should talk to @finley.)

And within ~5.5h they had a certain Canadian citizen (who grew up in the UK and lives in the US, not that there’s anything wrong with that) explaining, my home town has been destroyed because you see all the streets have British names but are filled with people who aren’t of British heritage, and the attacker has an Armenian name, so he must be a Christian, but we should blame Muslims anyway because that’s the patriotic thing to do, and failing to do so would be like boycotting the 2003 invasion of Iraq all over again. Not exaggerating.

I feel as if I’m entering into something analogous to a debate over the issue of whether the Tooth Fairy arrives before or after midnight. Anyway, in 1909 and 1925 (back when this sort of thing was considered relevant–you know, as opposed to nowadays), Federal Judges said they’re white.

Here’s an article that refers to the 1909 case:

Here’s the 1925 case:

That was oddly compelling. Not rationally compelling–it was clearly a long list of unmitigated bullshit. Maybe that was what was compelling. They probably had a team of guys to dig up all that stuff.

That’s pretty much what I meant by the “Tooth Fairy” reference.

I edited my post during or after your post, to show the existence of the 1909 case mentioned in the article, which case I overlooked. Sorry if I created any confusion.

Just in passing: I Googled the words armenian dna and saw some stuff that appears more scientific, but I’m not science-savvy enough to post any of it here.

Yeah, it’s not surprising. There’s going to be some more white/Caucasian people over there, going way way back to the Hittites and what, and a Turkic admixture out of Asia, and God only knows what else. It only points out how stupid our categorizations ultimately are. Usually that’s what DNA testing seems to point to.

1 Like

Especially how those categorizations are sometimes used. My dad sometimes used to break out this quote, from Hamlet: “. . . there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

I wouldn’t apply that to everything (and I don’t think he would, either), but it seems to fit some things pretty well.

They are caucasian. So are Iranians and many others who do not fit into the “white” group. White has become synonymous with european caucasians in north America.

This post didn’t age too well, seeing as it’s now been revealed he was a Men’s Rights activist, and not a Muslim fundamentalist. His hero was Elliot Rodger, not Osama Bin Laden.

British colonial administrators in the 19th century classified them as Eurasian, at least in Singapore, for whatever that’s worth.

1 Like

Now I was expecting it’d be Sam Hyde.

Actually wait, no, it’s YOUR post that didn’t age well https://twitter.com/JaneLytv/status/988894138106957830?s=19

They backtracked on that. Still *allegedly *

Sorry, derpster, my post is still as fresh as a newborn’s butt, while your’s still looks moldy oldy.

If I understand you correctly, I don’t agree with this. Categorizations help us to better communicate, define and identify things and people. A totally different story is how you categorize or how and for what you use those categories. Maybe you actually meant that, but categories, races, whatever… they are not intrinsically bad.

1 Like

As for people being white in that latitude, some people are too antropocentric phallocentric yankeecentric. We make fun of Taiwanese because they measure everything comparing it with Taiwanese stuff and because they think that TW is the beginning and the end of the World, but people from the USA suffer from the same problem. Apparently for many USA citizens “white people” is people from USA or from northern Europe. That’s ridiculous. I recommend these people to look up what “Aryan” means and where it comes from.

1 Like

Why would an Armenian do something like this on the day where the Armenian genocide is remembered in many countries? If he wanted his action to have some political meaning, I could have understood the reasoning behind driving a truck of peace against the turkish embassy or something along those lines, but running over random pedestrians? In Canada? It’s so odd. It’s as if a Jew during the week where we remember the holocaust decided to go on a shooting spree in a shopping mall in Portugal, I mean wtf…

But regardless of that, I think there’s a few things that need to be said about this event.

The real victims are the white people who will now be targeted by hateful bigots.

As a white person, I now live in constant fear and I don’t feel safe walking on the streets.

This van of peace had nothing to do with white people. White people is a religion of peace.

#notallwhitepeople

#itsoktobewhite

We must show our support for our white sisters and brothers. #prayforwhites

For the media:

An exclusive written interview where I explain how much I feel oppressed living in a capitalist democracy as a white person: 5000nt

A video interview as above: 10000nt

An interview where I make up some stories about running away from war (you can pick the country): 20000nt

Any of the above interviews with the addition of a crying kid (our neighbors’ kid, could chop some onion for dramatic effect): 30000nt

thanks!

Stupid North American yankees.

You have something against people from New England?

I don’t know yet.

Just go to Boston for a few days and you’ll be really sure.