Tosa Inu breeder in Taiwan

Ozzy, the other posters are right to warn you off from Taiwanese breeders. From everything I hear, they tend towards lack of scruples, and they overcharge, too. You’re far better off buying from a reputable breeder once you get home, and you won’t have to deal with the hassles of exportation and quarantine too.

idodogtricks.com/index_flash.html

I am curious why a mod would move this to the temp forum.

I got a pure bred Shiba Inu. I’ve never heard of the dog before, but saw a post about a dog that was sitting in a cage for a year…so I decided to give the poor bugger a better life.

She came with a certificate…a medal, her parents names, her family tree etc.

I took her to the vet for a checkup and he immediately felt her knee joints…and pop, one popped out. He said this breed has huge problems with this, and it SHOULD be the first thing a breeder checks for when selling a puppy. Her’s was a factor 3 problem (more serious than factor 1, 2) and only dogs with factor 1 should be sold at full price…as a purebred show dog.

so, the original owner of the dog got screwed over. She has given me 32343987 more problems as my mutt I rescued off the street.

How about checking shelters to see if they have one available that is a little older? Problems usually surface when they are a little older, and there are millions of purebred dogs sitting in shelters.

It is a pity that dogs get bred for a certain purpose. Shiba Inus get bred to be hunters…they retrieve the ducks the Japanese shoot for fun. And BOY is it in her to go after the slightest thing moving in the grass. Because of this, she can’t ever be off the leash. If she sees a leaf move on the other side of the road she will shoot across a road full of traffic not being able to hear or see anything but the little moving target.

sigh. :unamused:

[quote=“Ozzy”]http://www.idodogtricks.com/index_flash.html[/quote]I told it to kill and it said “You’re asking the wrong dog for that”, how disappointing…

This was a very interesting read: weather.com/outlook/homeandg … ticles/d16

I’m not in complete agreement with the essence of the piece, because it glosses over the fact that a dog with greater biting power (rotweiller) or relentless aggression (pit bull), for instance, of course has a greater potential for greater harm if he or she does attack.

However, I’ll have to adjust my argument somewhat if I find that this article is for sure backed up by solid research.

Essentially, it’s saying that the breed that tops the ‘most aggressive’ list is usually the large breed that’s popular at the time.

What I’d really like to see is stats for dog bites, including fatal attacks, that take into consideration the numbers of dogs of that breed. For instance, if rotties are at no. 1 with a certain percentage of fatal attacks, how does that percentage compare to the percentage of dogs that are rotties. Labs are responsible for a huge number of bites (rarely fatal) because of their numbers. I’m guessing that Tosa Inus will have a disproportionately large number of fatal attacks credited to their breed.

I would have stopped counting a loooooong time ago.

she just bit me…plus 1 to that number.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]This was a very interesting read: weather.com/outlook/homeandg … ticles/d16

I’m not in complete agreement with the essence of the piece, because it glosses over the fact that a dog with greater biting power (rotweiller) or relentless aggression (pit bull), for instance, of course has a greater potential for greater harm if he or she does attack.

However, I’ll have to adjust my argument somewhat if I find that this article is for sure backed up by solid research.

Essentially, it’s saying that the breed that tops the ‘most aggressive’ list is usually the large breed that’s popular at the time.

What I’d really like to see is stats for dog bites, including fatal attacks, that take into consideration the numbers of dogs of that breed. For instance, if rotties are at no. 1 with a certain percentage of fatal attacks, how does that percentage compare to the percentage of dogs that are rotties. Labs are responsible for a huge number of bites (rarely fatal) because of their numbers. I’m guessing that Tosa Inus will have a disproportionately large number of fatal attacks credited to their breed.

I would have stopped counting a loooooong time ago.[/quote]

Well , I would also like to see more stats and investigation into dogs that have bitten after being provoked. Sorry but if my child goes pulling ears,poking eyes throwing stones, kicking,hitting dogs because of never being told otherwise or just through being an asshole than maybe they deserve the bite on the ass.

[quote=“hannes”]As far as I know, Tosa Inus are very gentle and even suitable for families.

If that’s the type of dog you like, there are hundreds of dogs of all sorts you could adopt from shelters around Taiwan.

If you want a dog for the sick purpose of dog-fighting, I hope your dog will bite you in your butt some day.[/quote]

something’s wrong with this board… I can’t edit my posts… the above post was an accident…

Then I think you’ll appreciate this article: dogpolitics.typepad.com/my_weblo … t_dan.html

The mod moved it to temp … in temp, no editing …

[quote=“Ozzy”]http://www.idodogtricks.com/index_flash.html

I am curious why a mod would move this to the temp forum.[/quote]

Mod error, will be fixed shortly.

I watched “Evan Almighty” (the sequel to “Bruce Almighty”) yesterday on TV and seeing the dog of the family, I thought “looks like a Tosa Inu”.

Could only find a picture of the dog’s behind…

Don’t know how they cast dogs in Hollywood, but I can’t imagine they would choose a dangerous fighting dog as family dog in this kind of comedy.

I went searching about info about them (havent heard of them) and found this site that went on about the different types of ranks they get in fighting and actually speaking about it as if its normal and really cool.

wtf?

they have widdde jaws hey? They look pretty uncomfortable to me…I hate that people breed dogs to have folds and slobber. Like pugs…they have such breathing difficulties…it’s sad.

Have to agree with you on that.
would rather not have the kids face ripped off, nose chewed to smithereens and eyes lost…but shit happens…

I guess that’s the issue - what does the person deserve? Potentially vicious dogs can potentially be much more devastating.
You can train your kids how to behave, but they may forget or act out. Kids are kids. You can teach other people appropriate behaviour when they visit, but they may not always remember or follow your advice. Your dog may escape (likely from human error) and encounter all sorts of untrained people. Some dogs have attacked people during arguments between family members. The dog just gets confused and wants to protect.
I accidentally stepped on a cat a few months ago and the bite on the butt was painful for quite a while. What if that had been a young rottie or other “vicious breed”? I might not have an ass, and that would be a sad thing, indeed.

The consequences from a miniature poodle are a lot different than from a big dog that is bred for fighting. (mutilated genitals vs. death. Hmm…). In the emergency room/operating theater, the degree of mauling becomes pretty important to the surgeon trying to spare a life.

If a kid is being an a**hole , throwing stones at a dog, yes, they deserve to be punished. Better yet, educated. But mauled to death?

…to have the living crap beat out of them.

Cuz next time the folks might NOT be there to protect them from the appropriate wrath of the offended canine
…and besides…my sis did the same shite…dog bit her…and mom smacked sis upside the head on top of it. None of the namby pamby “punishment…poor baby”/ psychobabble in our house…LOL

Ahh … no. If one of our children goes too far with one of our dogs then it’s my job to correct their behaviour not my dogs.

I guess that’s the issue - what does the person deserve? Potentially vicious dogs can potentially be much more devastating.
You can train your kids how to behave, but they may forget or act out. Kids are kids. You can teach other people appropriate behaviour when they visit, but they may not always remember or follow your advice. Your dog may escape (likely from human error) and encounter all sorts of untrained people. Some dogs have attacked people during arguments between family members. The dog just gets confused and wants to protect.
I accidentally stepped on a cat a few months ago and the bite on the butt was painful for quite a while. What if that had been a young rottie or other “vicious breed”? I might not have an ass, and that would be a sad thing, indeed.

The consequences from a miniature poodle are a lot different than from a big dog that is bred for fighting. (mutilated genitals vs. death. Hmm…). In the emergency room/operating theater, the degree of mauling becomes pretty important to the surgeon trying to spare a life.

If a kid is being an a**hole , throwing stones at a dog, yes, they deserve to be punished. Better yet, educated. But mauled to death?[/quote]

Breed doesn’t really matter. Most dogs over 20 pnds can do severe damage. I have seen some pretty vicious cattle dogs.
You can tell your kids not to pat the lions at the zoo but if they get away from you and put their hand in the cage. Is it the Lions fault? Not a nice lesson for your kid, but that’s life sometimes people screw up and pay the consequences. Would be a large fault of the parent for letting their child be in a situation that they cannot understand the full consequences. If you have a neighbor with a guard dog and you are not fully confident your child will not jump the fence to play with it or torture it than be sure to keep your child away. ot sure why society have to be responsible for someone else child’s stupidity.
Had this discussion with a friend that used to let his young kids play on the street right on a busy corner. I mentioned to him how dangerous it was. He said they need to learn to make decisions themselves and not have someone look over them. But he said people should be responsible to look out for kids running out on the road.

Also its not smart to argue with someone that has a pet dog near by. Its like a weapon. Walk away.

Not sure what the point people are trying to make.
All large breeds should be destroyed?