šŸŽ‘ Tourism | Taiwan Tourism Promotion

Racially profiling even before people arrive. Sigh.

I think the intention is innocent, the implementation probably not that professional.

So if I click on Japan, I get some pages down the bottom that appear which contain links to various other pages. A tea house appears on one of the pages.

Then if I go back out and click on Indonesia, I get some pages down the bottom that appear in a similar fashion. However the tea house is not there. They seem to be assuming Indonesian tourists arenā€™t interested in tea.

Turton didnā€™t even mention this glaring faux pas! Iā€™m sorry, you simply canā€™t do this, in this day and age. They are embarrassing themselves.

1 Like

So your average Chinese tourist is supposed to be interested in exactly the same thing the average Japanese tourist is which is exactly the same thing the average European is?
Anybody in the tourist business will tell you it donā€™t work that way. Pre-covid, just in the surfing sector in Taiwan you had mostly Taiwanese and Europeans in the summer, when the surf was smaller and they could try it as beginners. Japanese and Australians were serious surfers who came for the big waves in the winter:Americans tended to divide into the two categories. Is it racial profiling to not put ads geared for Australians saying ā€œLearn to surf in Taiwanā€?

I believe you can target demographics, like surfers sure, adventure seekers, or train buffs for example. But you canā€™t make assumptions about what an entire raceā€™s preferred activities are.

Yeah but his recommendations, like so much of his commentary, are a pipe dream. Them hiring a shitload of Western technocrats proficient in Englishā€¦yeah, when hell freezes over.

Just came across this video. Ignoring the overly dramatic music and the corny bits (asking a stranger who clearly is an actor for directions), I think this is a great introduction to Penghu. Well done!

Is Chris Stowers based in Taiwan, I wonder, is he a Forumosan even? :slightly_smiling_face:

This is rather new

Apparently won an award in Germany

Iā€™d say well done. Not as cheesy as these promo videos usually are. The music is a bit overpowering and I would tune down the excitement just a little bit. But the images show whatā€™s there on the North Coast quite nicely.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: :walking_man: Hiking - 100 Peaks Taiwan Baiyue č‡ŗē£ē™¾å²³

Really captures the strengths, quite good actually.

1 Like

One highlight for me on the last trip was scuba diving on the island with giant turtles. You donā€™t even need to scuba dive tho and can just go into the water and start tripping over them.

1 Like

Careful, fines for contact are really highā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

most of the reddit posts on taiwan is about what to do during a layover from their bangkok trip. taiwan should really go all in on niche attractions like cycling or hiking or some xiaolongbao breakfast vegetarian pilgrimage crap instead of paying for Taiwan Plus TV Channel.

I agree with everything except xiaolongbao breakfast. Itā€™s unforgivable what the Taiwanese have done to xiaolongbaos. Better just go to Shanghai for those.

Although I must admit I do enjoy not having many tourists here.

Maybe they could just pay tourists to come hereā€¦

1 Like

Why does it need saving?

Do you have any numbers?

Care to explain yourself?

There is this

As for ā€œneeding savingā€, I am of the selfish opinion that not having busloads of tourists is better for me. I didnā€™t look for numbers by nationality but it seems reasonable to assume that previously there were a lot of Chinese tourists who are unlikely to come back soon

But for the tourism industry, having pre-covid numbers is better. And for the economy generally, having more money coming in is probaby better

Food is the only hope. Taiwan has no historical buildings worth visiting. It has no modern skyline, the majority of the cities look like some favala / factory shitscape which appeals to nobody.

Taiwan doesnā€™t have the beach appeal because Taiwanese prefer to have those huge star shaped rock things instead of actual beaches.

Taiwan doesnā€™t have the fun factor of south east asia, or the modern factor of Japan / Korea.
Food / night markets are literally it. And considering how this govt willingly shot its tourism industry in the head when covid happened I canā€™t say I have a single ounce of sympathy for the whole sad situation.

4 Likes

Theyā€™ve completely butchered it, and you canā€™t get good ones here. The wrap is usually too thick, thereā€™s usually not enough soup inside, and theyā€™re often flavorless. Even the ones served at Ding Tai Fung here would be considered average at best in Shanghai.

I will, however, give credit to Taiwan for offering some the best sushi and sashimi Iā€™ve ever had anywhere in the world, for the best prices Iā€™ve ever seen anywhere in the world. I donā€™t know about northern Taiwan, but here in the south, great sushi can be had in the port cities where the fish is as fresh as it gets.